Argument with DVLA - who to complain to?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

guydewdney

MB Enthusiast
Car
906 Sprinter 313cdi
The DVLA faceless organisation that they are have decided that my motorhome isnt a motorhome.

Now - it is clearly defined as to what is and isnt a MH internally - it must have a bed, cooking etc. It complies to all of these requirements, and my local office has been satisfied, and sent me a replacement tax disc (ironically increasing my cost) as a 'PHGV' - private HGV. (Its 7.5 tons)

In the meantime, some department, who I cant talk to, has decided its a 'bus/coach' body type - and thus cannot be a PHGV as it 'looks like a bus'

All this arguing and back and forth for months is annoying, and arguably makes my insurance invalid (V5 says its not a motorhome, its a coach).

And more annoyingly, I have a private reg for it, which runs out in 8 days.

No one can tell me why its a 'coach' not a 'motorhome' - its not fully glazed like any bus I know, but then again its plain white and not gold and glitzy like an american RV / winnebago

heres a pic - is that a coach or possibly a MH? yes - its bloody huge :rolleyes:

the carp photoshopping is just for me - the black bits are white plain panels, no windows.

Attachments

• big hippy bus black.jpg
    big hippy bus black.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 55
hahhaha - sorry - thats just our nickname from the last vehicle - which was a 'bus' (airport transfer bus) - and only hippies drive converted busses, so it must be a hippy bus!

I know it's not what you want to hear but it looks like a converted coach/bus. I think you would have the same issue if you decorated the inside of a artic lorry like a house. They would still class it as a class1 HGV

So is it a converted bus then?

Would VOSA be able to help if you took it to your local inspection centre for a classification inspection? I think that then gets passed to the DVLA for PHGV classification :D

We use this type of vehicle ex bus or coach as race transporters for race cars the front is kitchen living etc the rear designed to hold a race car and then doubles as a workshop when car is not loaded, these are classed as PHGV

Hope that helps

I know it's not what you want to hear but it looks like a converted coach/bus. I think you would have the same issue if you decorated the inside of a artic lorry like a house. They would still class it as a class1 HGV

Surely it doesn't matter what it was or looks like, it isn't a bus anymore as it can't carry passengers.

A lot of motorhomes start as van/bus or lorry bodies. Does that mean they can't be registered as motorhomes?

Looks like a bus too, but is a motorhome.

http://www.southdownsmotorhomecentr...iner-940g-man-tgl-10-240-motorhome-u2681.html

Van or motorhome?

http://images.clickedit.co.uk/8689/car_id_28_1.jpg

Last edited:
Go to your local DVLA office and sort it out there. They know the system inside out & backwards and are surprisingly helpful

Go early and make sure you take all your documents, photos, licence, insurance, etc, etc

Nick Froome

So is it a converted bus then?

No - its never been a 'bus' or 'coach' - it was built in 1997 as a NHS mobile clinic (a mini doctors surgery) for £150,000 :eek:

It only ever had 5 seats at a maximum - it now has 4 or five, depending.

still looks like an american RV (albeit in white) to me.

DM - thats exactly my point - what it looks like isnt what it IS - theres loads of 'stealth' MH's out there that look like vans but are in fact MH's

eg - on gumtree
$T2eC16ZHJF0E9nmFSuE7BQ9crqIiFw~~48_80.JPG

Last edited:
What was it's original registration type?

Too slow......... :(

Bus/Coach - but taxation class NHSV (which is free)

i dont think they bothered to argue it, as it didnt matter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom