Arise Sir Ivan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Feel a bit awkward here, but was it necessary?

I've listened to the guy for many years and I enjoy his music, but a Knighthood? I know we now have several of these things floating around (Tom Jones, Mick Jagger) though all it seems to be is dumbing down.

Strictly a personal opinion but I'm pretty convinced that there are a lot more deserving recipients than where they seem to be going at the moment, including people who've donated their lives to things (Stephen Hawking?).

To paraphrase another Knight, who I respected and had time for: "Is it me?"

Feel a bit awkward here, but was it necessary?

I've listened to the guy for many years and I enjoy his music, but a Knighthood? I know we now have several of these things floating around (Tom Jones, Mick Jagger) though all it seems to be is dumbing down.

Strictly a personal opinion but I'm pretty convinced that there are a lot more deserving recipients than where they seem to be going at the moment, including people who've donated their lives to things (Stephen Hawking?).

To paraphrase another Knight, who I respected and had time for: "Is it me?"

Arise Sir Stephen Hawking - oh wait ! :D

Sir George.... anyway

Like some of his music a lot. Not so sure about the guy himself. Stories abound about how he can be difficult to work with. Has evidently been known to walk out of gigs and leave an audience waiting for the re-appearance that never came!

but then -------??

[YOUTUBE]kqXSBe-qMGo[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
I could tell you some stories...but I might get my daughter into trouble at work.

It would be nice if he played Brown Eyed Girl in a recognisable way at his concerts!

I can think of many more deserving people.

The honours system isn't perfect and many people may be deemed deserving. But does that include, for instance, all senior Civil Servants also?
Is he more or less deserving than those senior Civil Servants?

He got it for services to music and services to Northern Ireland tourism.

A waste of a Knighthood.

I went to one concert of his at Leeds castle. He didnt play a single song, not one track, that anyone knew. In the end the audience started signing Brown eyed girl back at him but he still refused to do anything familiar. We, like a lot of the audience started boo'ing him and left before the end. Total waste of money. The man clearly does not understand or even care about his audience. I have since heard he is an arrogant pr1ck to work with.

A waste of a Knighthood.

I went to one concert of his at Leeds castle. He didnt play a single song, not one track, that anyone knew. In the end the audience started signing Brown eyed girl back at him but he still refused to do anything familiar. We, like a lot of the audience started boo'ing him and left before the end. Total waste of money. The man clearly does not understand or even care about his audience. I have since heard he is an arrogant pr1ck to work with.

All of that just makes me admire the guy, I was fairly ambivalent before.

Always makes me laugh when I hear of "music fans" bitch and moan that they went to see an established musician and they didn't play their greatest hits and to hear of people booing is just pathetic "I'll scweam and scweam until I get what I want"...

I remember hearing an interview with Jimi Hendrix saying that the British audience would have been happy just listening to his most famous five/six songs on a loop. Seems as though that trait has carried on.

Many views on Sir Ivan, he's still a miserable git. Having said that, I was a massive fan of Them.

I've just had an early morning trip down memory lane listening to a selection, so what if he's difficult to work with the results are pretty impressive - a bit like John Britten I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjXA6E0eqao

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom