Arise Sir Ivan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Caravan at the Last Waltz is a typical, grumpy, epic performance.

Rehearsing for the Birthday Concerts in Cyprus Avenue (track three on Astral Weeks) 31st Aug 2015. At 30secs I realised he was on stage:

What time of the day was that? He was prone to drinking from soundcheck to gig. He had a fair skinful when I saw (worked for) him a few years back. Nothing unusual his travelling crew told us.

The BBC did a brilliant job recording the Cyprus Ave concert, the sound quality was amazing. I suspect it will appear on a DVD on some point in the future.

What time of the day was that? He was prone to drinking from soundcheck to gig. He had a fair skinful when I saw (worked for) him a few years back. Nothing unusual his travelling crew told us.

It was 12:15 and 14 seconds.

The BBC did a brilliant job recording the Cyprus Ave concert, the sound quality was amazing. I suspect it will appear on a DVD on some point in the future.

There was also a time lapse recording made...they (not the BBC this one) started at 6am.

Its disgraceful, not the Queens fault, it's her stupid advisers there are much more deserving people out there than a ruddy rich pop star......

Guy is a good singer and musician. But a knighthood?
Not so sure

These knighthoods appear to be dished out for very obscure reasons. Usually given for lifetime services to their particular field. Doesn't bother me one way or another whether Van Morrison got one or not.
I also read he is very difficult to work with. Saw him (Them) along with the Stones, Byrds, Pretty Things in Bournemouth just before they became very popular (circa 1966)

As much as I enjoy most of your posts, you still have to have a little stab when you don't like the truth........:dk:

What is the truth?

Have you been through the list and decided who was deserving and who wasn't? As I said before...why so many senior civil servants?

I can't give you an answer to who is more deserving Renault but I am sure there is more people out there other than pop stars......

If I was to speculate it might have something to do with the present government wishing to keep Northern Ireland politicians happy by an acknowledgement for "services to the music industry and tourism in Northern Ireland".[ I believe was the exact wording] Knighthoods have always been handed out to people in the entertainment industry possibly because its perceived they are politically popular but there are many other knighthoods handed out to political party apparatchiks we have barely heard of- often for just keeping their mouths shut at the right time ! :rolleyes: It's right to challenge any particular award but perhaps it would be better to challenge the whole 'old boy network' that the honours system panders to. :dk:

... but perhaps it would be better to challenge the whole 'old boy network' that the honours system panders to. :dk:

But where do you start? Putin is surrounded by his mates from St P, the US is still largely run by the 'Pretty Good Club' and in the UK you can't get anywhere in politics without the tie, the grace, or the inheritance .

This is an antiquated system that has managed to survive from medieval times where knight's so bold rode around in suits of armour and invaded far off lands in search of fairytale castles and princess's.

In todays world it serves only to stroke the already over inflated ego's of most of it's recipients.

Do we really believe that the Queen sits at home with Phillip tapping her feet and drumming her fingers as she hums along to Astral Weeks on vinyl. Or is more likely that she had to ask who is this guy? His contribution to the booze industry would have been better honoured and served.

If we have to have a system like this to make people feel better about themselves then I would rather it was used to recognise those who selflessly devote themselves to helping others. Where is their recognition? I spent a month in an Intensive Care bed where every minute of every day and night nurses and doctors gave everything to save me, somebody they had never met. I see no knighthood for them. But I get to read about how we can reduce their wages and increase their hours. What of the surgeon and his team who agreed to operate on me, outside of the NHS as that was my only hope of survival. No knighthood or honours for them. When I enquired who I should write to, to offer up my thanks and praise, guess who it was…. Yes it was indeed a "Sir" and his sidekick was a "Lady" was I surprised to receive no reply to my two page letter?

So do we really think that Van Morrison will care about being a knight? That is not to say he is bad person.

It is time that we woke up and started to reward those who do care and are truly deserving. We need to stop kidding ourselves that the Queen pinning some bauble on somebody's tit will make a single jot of difference to anybody's life.

Last edited:
I think the final nail in the coffin on my view of the Knighthood system was when one was given to a 32 year old mod whose sole claim to fame was that he could pedal his bicycle a bit faster than his mates. A "lifetime" achievement award? Give me a break.

Its all good stuff above, the downside is normal working people that do good for everyone, would not know what to do with a knighthood, where the line is drawn I have no idea

Brian 1 said:
Its all good stuff above, the downside is normal working people that do good for everyone, would not know what to do with a knighthood, where the line is drawn I have no idea

I suspect they would carry on doing good for everyone. That is their accolade, their praise and our honour.

A few years ago my Son politely asked Sir Elton John for his autograph as he emerged from the Ivy in London. No stress, no photographers just us and the great emboldened knight. He told us to " *uck off". Very regal. It still angers me that somebody who lives off the money we pay him feels it acceptable to behave like this.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom