Arise Sir WIGGO.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.

grober

MB Master
Car
W204 ESTATE
New years honours list just out.
Knighthoods for Bradley Wiggins and Dave Brailsford for his pursuit of excellence with the British cycling team. Gold medalists Jessica Ennis, Victoria Pendleton and Mo Farah, get CBE's and Andy Murray an OBE. Go Figure. :confused: Maybe they used the BBC Sportsview Sports Personality of the year votes as a measure of popular support?:dk:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-prospects-knighthood.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

At least they have achieved something positive. Could someone enlighten me on what Hector Sants has done to deserve the K?

Waste of space the lot of them its about time the honours system went back to what it was supposed to be for unsung heros promoting and making britain great not some bunch of wanna be's who we will be forgotten in 10 years time unless they are involved in a doping scandal

Makes me ashamed to be british :mad:

At least they have achieved something positive. Could someone enlighten me on what Hector Sants has done to deserve the K?

Nope. Or for that matter Hypen Howe.

Last edited:
Waste of space the lot of them its about time the honours system went back to what it was supposed to be for unsung heros promoting and making britain great not some bunch of wanna be's who we will be forgotten in 10 years time unless they are involved in a doping scandal

Makes me ashamed to be british :mad:
Incredibly sad that a participant in a largely discredited "sport" is so honoured when others from less tainted genres are deemed unworthy.

I wonder how many VERY well paid "stars" of the entertainment industry will also get on the list.
As has been said, honours should go primarily to those who serve our country in some form.
Sportsmen/women, those in "entertainment" and politicians should be banned from the list.

Sportsmen/women, those in "entertainment" and politicians should be banned from the list.

By the same logic, so should anyone being paid to do a job on behalf of the Country.

The Honours list is meant to be open for anyone that is proposed and that has done good works worthy of recommendation.

I would think sports personalities would rank highly on that list this year as a result of the Olympic achievements.
Bradley Wiggins has achieved great success this year and as such promoted the UK and cycling as a sport.

Bradley Wiggins has achieved great success this year and as such promoted the UK and cycling as a sport.

... and his Olympic Gold this year was not his first either ... it was his fourth in three consecutive Olympics

Don't get caught up in the media hype the honours list has more than 1200 people put forward and most of those awarded will only be known by there local communities.

I know someone who has been nominated for his efforts in promoting british industry often at his own expense this man truly made britain great and the technology is now in use all over the world, he still travels to do lectures at prestigious universities even at the age of 85. has he ever received an award, no nothing yet cycle, run or row which does not make britain great or do anything for the wealth of the country and you are guaranteed a gong why because those that choose are politicians in the jobs for the boys club bent on fiddling their expenses and a deluded monarch whose last touch with reality was probably in 1945. As i said waste of space all of them :mad:

Don't get caught up in the media hype the honours list has more than 1200 people put forward and most of those awarded will only be known by there local communities.

Indeed, the media are only interested in those that media are interested in.

They majority on the list are exceptional people who have achieved exceptional things, but are not recognisable, and so won't make people buy news papers.

Someone close to me, let's call him "Bob", will soon be known as Bob OBE and there's not been one call from a national newspaper!

politicians in the jobs for the boys club bent on fiddling their expenses and a deluded monarch whose last touch with reality was probably in 1945. As i said waste of space all of them :mad:

Pity the parachute opened. Now that would have been worth watching. :devil:

Imagine the headlines.

Stunt man performing the Queens skydive has parachute blunder.

Not too exciting, really...

I didn't watch one second of the Olympics or the surrounding bullsh*t, so didn't even realise there was a skydive with someone dressed as the Queen :D

No time for prima donna sports people with their heads up their ar*e or has been pop stars trying to restart their careers.

The only good thing about the Olympics was the jobs it created during the construction of the facilities not only in London but all over the UK, now that was a show-piece of British construction and technology at its best :thumb:

I didn't watch one second of the Olympics or the surrounding bullsh*t, so didn't even realise there was a skydive with someone dressed as the Queen :D

No time for prima donna sports people with their heads up their ar*e or has been pop stars trying to restart their careers.

The only good thing about the Olympics was the jobs it created during the construction of the facilities not only in London but all over the UK, now that was a show-piece of British construction and technology at its best :thumb:

What a happy chap you are :thumb:

Makes me proud to be British :rolleyes:

By the same logic, so should anyone being paid to do a job on behalf of the Country.

The Honours list is meant to be open for anyone that is proposed and that has done good works worthy of recommendation.

I would think sports personalities would rank highly on that list this year as a result of the Olympic achievements.
Wiggins is a professional cyclist, whatever he's done this year,or any other, he's been paid, hence he's done it for himself and his employer, if the UK has benefitted in any way it's entirely coincidental.
As for cycling being a sport, you have to joking, the only element that could be described as sport is the drug testers trying to keep up with the participants and their pathetic and dishonest squeals of innocence when they're caught.

What a happy chap you are :thumb:

Makes me proud to be British :rolleyes:

I am a happy chap as any one on here who knows me will testify :thumb:, I just don't have time for waste of space prima donnas who do nothing for society or the country other than flaunt their totally useless talents which are of no use in the real world.

Now if you want to bestow honour on someone then look no further than our armed forces who battle against government cuts to their kit and packages yet they keep our country safe by fighting terrorists on their own ground, compare that to the yanks who are totally lost if they dont have all the high tech kit, if our boys dont have it they make it or improvise, these are the unsung heros where honour should go not some useless jumped up sportsperson.

Now para-Olympians thats a different story takes guts and courage to do that against the odds, these are the people that deserve the majority of the awards given to sports people.

stevieb15;1621224 As for cycling being a sport said:
This statement suggests you know absolutely nothing about sport so I can't see the point in you commenting about it

I just don't have time for waste of space prima donnas who do nothing for society or the country other than flaunt their totally useless talents which are of no use in the real world.
If you think that the likes of Wiggo, Jessie and Mo are just flaunting their "totally useless talents", then may I suggest you try removing those blinkers, dark glasses and ear muffs. They all made a massive number of people in the UK feel great at a time that's been difficult for all of us. But more than that, they didn't achieve their considerable successes by simply being born with a natural talent, they did so through extremely hard work and dedication. They set examples of what can be achieved with the sort of effort that if applied to all levels of commerce would reinstate the Great into Britain. They haven't sat on their fat a#*es criticising others, they haven't belittled achievement, and they haven't insulted our country by removing the capitalisation of Britain!

Now if you want to bestow honour on someone then look no further than our armed forces who battle against government cuts to their kit and packages yet they keep our country safe by fighting terrorists on their own ground, compare that to the yanks who are totally lost if they dont have all the high tech kit, if our boys dont have it they make it or improvise, these are the unsung heros where honour should go not some useless jumped up sportsperson.
I could apply your level of logic and respond to this by saying that all the current servicemen chose their career, with who knows how many of them attracted by their perceived glamour of shooting big guns to kill people. Perhaps their mentality is little removed from that of the thugs who go to football matches for a fight rather than to watch a game. Do they really do it to keep our country safe, or for their own satisfaction?

Of course that's a totally unreasonable view. But it's no more ridiculous than accusing all cyclists of being drug addicts and athletes of being paid so why reward them for bringing joy to millions. Just because you're ignorant of the pain and hardship they've gone through to get to the top, that's no reason to voice contempt for the praise they deservedly receive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom