Arise Sir WIGGO.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Take a look at the male suicide rates between 1979 - 1995 and see how they increased. Coincidence? I think not.
Extracted figures from WHO stats (http://www.who.int/mental_health/media/unitkingd.pdf:

Male suicide rates in UK per 100,000:
1950 - 12.7
1955 - 13.6
1960 - 13.3
1965 - 12.2
1970 - 9.4
1975 - 9.0
1980 - 11.0
1985 - 12.4
1990 - 12.6
1995 - 11.7
2000 - 11.8

So yes, the male suicide rate went up between '79 and '95. But it also did between '50 and '60, when it was even higher. This was before Thatcher was an MP, but applying flanaia's logic we can only assume her influence was already taking effect and the suicides couldn't be blamed on anything else. :rolleyes:

If flanaia cares to read this (http://bjp.rcpsych.org/content/182/2/164.full.pdf) he'll find there's far more to these tragic cases than the immediate effects of governments. The study concluded that "Succeeding generations of males born in the post-war years have experienced increasing rates of suicide at all ages, an observation in keeping with patterns seen in other countries. If these trends continue into middle- and old-age they will lead to a great increase in overall
male suicide rates." The study didn't comment on the effects of negative thinking by contributors to motoring forums!

the orders from MT were to close them in such a way that they could never be safely worked or developed again.
Could you please direct me to where there is any real evidence that these were her orders. I don't mean some uber-leftie's dramatic imaginations, I mean FACTS.

Extracted figures from WHO stats (http://www.who.int/mental_health/media/unitkingd.pdf:

1950 - 12.7
1955 - 13.6
1960 - 13.3
1965 - 12.2
1970 - 9.4
1975 - 9.0
1980 - 11.0
1985 - 12.4
1990 - 12.6
1995 - 11.7
2000 - 11.8

So yes, the male suicide rate went up between '79 and '95. But it also did between '50 and '60, when it was even higher. This was before Thatcher was an MP, but applying flanaia's logic we can only assume her influence was already taking effect and the suicides couldn't be blamed on anything else. :rolleyes:

If flanaia cares to read this (http://bjp.rcpsych.org/content/182/2/164.full.pdf) he'll find there's far more to these tragic cases than the immediate effects of governments. The study concluded that "Succeeding generations of males born in the post-war years have experienced increasing rates of suicide at all ages, an observation in keeping with patterns seen in other countries. If these trends continue into middle- and old-age they will lead to a great increase in overall
male suicide rates." The study didn't comment on the effects of negative thinking by contributors to motoring forums!

both those increases coincide with Tory rule, take a look at the link to Emile Durkheim on wiki

Émile Durkheim - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

he noticed that different types of society have different suicide rates and although this has moved on somewhat, suicide rates reflect the type of society we live in and in Thatcher's time their rise reflected the abolition of hope

So, we should expect the rate to increase measurably. ;)
This thread should take it into the 20's on its own :eek:

1950 - 12.7
1955 - 13.6
1960 - 13.3
1965 - 12.2
1970 - 9.4
1975 - 9.0
1980 - 11.0
1985 - 12.4
1990 - 12.6
1995 - 11.7
2000 - 11.8

If Knighterrant cares to read THIS it describes the patterns by which they died, between 1975 and 1990 suicide by hanging and strangulation increased 48% again coincidence? I think not

Neatly deflected flanai1 ..... Are you in politics ?
However ...... Who exactly did Margaret Thatcher kill ?
I will say one thing - isnt it great that we live in a country where we can openly have this sort of debate ?

I thought this had been answered, Thatcher was in charge, the buck stopped with her.

If Knighterrant cares to read THIS it describes the patterns by which they died, between 1975 and 1990 suicide by hanging and strangulation increased 48% again coincidence? I think not

Maybe it was the dawn of the sexual revolution. I don't think Michael Hutchence or Stephen Milligan ever worked down pit...

I think Wes and flanaia should steer well clear of ropes!

Maybe it's B&Q's fault since buying rope became easier once DIY stores took hold.

That's a semi serious comment since a friend of mine was on film buying a large hosepipe to use to kill herself that afternoon.
Mrs Thatcher had nothing to do with that, nor the other gassing, or two hangings I personally know of.

Could you please direct me to where there is any real evidence that these were her orders. I don't mean some uber-leftie's dramatic imaginations, I mean FACTS.

Watch the film Brassed Off that tells the story perfectly well, and they even used my old office :D (and before you start I know it is not fact but it's as close as it gets) The fact that the direction was coming from the government and independent consultants and not the British Coal Management Team told you all you needed to know on who was running the show.

Never been on them in my life and no where near them now, that's a comment usually from people already on them :D
tightrope walkers?

Have a quick look to see what people think about Sir Bradley, and it is the inevitable 'Blame Thatcher' vs 'Blame Scargill' ill tempered war being fought for the 300th time this year.

Whoopee.

Watch the film Brassed Off that tells the story perfectly well, and they even used my old office :D (and before you start I know it is not fact but it's as close as it gets) The fact that the direction was coming from the government and independent consultants and not the British Coal Management Team told you all you needed to know on who was running the show.
Of course, silly me, I should have known that I only have to watch a film to find out what really happened. Watching Alice in Wonderland should have put me off having parties but I'm still going to leave you all now to get on with prepping for tonight's bash. Happy New Year.

Of course, silly me, I should have known that I only have to watch a film to find out what really happened. Watching Alice in Wonderland should have put me off having parties

Watching Black Beauty always made me be careful...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom