Arizona's 'Stupid Motorist Law'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Many people who buy a new house might not be locals, they put their (mis guided) trust in the local council and the town planners not to allow building on flood plains.
True enough.

I once bought a new build on a beach, below sea level and steel framed.

I'm less adventurous these days.

I relied on the planners, surveyor and my solicitor to allow me to make an informed decision.

IMO anyone who needs emergency services / hospitalisation due to partaking in high risk activities should have to be covered by a special insurance / pay for any services they need!

I've never understood why the taxpayer should have to carry the burden of people injuring themselves because they chose to take part in a high risk activity / do something stupid.

Sadly legislating for stupidly is probably impossible.

I presume that would include all keep fit pursutes, jogging, walking and resulting strain on joints, going to the gym, where again people get injured. You need to bear in mind that in our times, living is dangerous, none of us know what is around the corner. Atrocities at pop concerts, Boston Marathon etc.

I presume that would include all keep fit pursutes, jogging, walking and resulting strain on joints, going to the gym, where again people get injured. You need to bear in mind that in our times, living is dangerous, none of us know what is around the corner. Atrocities at pop concerts, Boston Marathon etc.

Didn't you read the words "high risk activities" or do you consider walking and jogging high risk:)?

Citing terrorist attacks is disingenuous and adds noting to the discussion.:rolleyes:

Ask the RNLI what proportion of their rescues are due to people taking unreasonable risk?

RNLI is not funded by the taxpayer, but the question still remains if it's right that people are saved for free?

I didn't realise the Air Ambulance service also relies entirely on donations until I received a knock at the door.....

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Many more like that: Ecclesbourne Meadows, Trent Lane, River View etc etc

Riverside Drive! - flooded terribly on boxing day 2015
022.jpg

I am all for it... in principle. But where do you stop?

Do you charge boy-racers in souped-up cars who crash and need to be rescued from the wreckage?

What about drunks who leap from high places and need to be rescued by the fire brigade?

Or bungee jumpers, parachute jumpers, hand gliders, etc, who fall and get injured and stranded at the bottom of a ravine?

Etc etc.

And we can also add charging obese people, smokers, and heavy drinkers for their NHS treatments.

Where do you stop?
Don't they already charge ( financially ) those hill walkers and the like who go off ill equipped and get into trouble ? Why should others pay the cost of their folly ?

Floods are terrible things and do immense damage but if I knew my area was at imminent risk of being flooded I would at least attempt to move my car and motorcycle and frankly anything else valuable to higher ground. Yet in every flood we see countless cars half submerged where they were parked. Are these people stupid or do they just want to claim on the insurance.

Now a man that wasn't stupid in the face of a flood was the guy who used a JCB to form an earth wall around his property. That's much more like it.
There have been instances not far from me , of flash floods occurring overnight as a result of heavy rainfall ; I guess if these events haven't been predicted then people can't really be blamed .

Didn't you read the words "high risk activities" or do you consider walking and jogging high risk:)?

Yes, I did read the words high risk, but are you saying that injuries received from playing football, cricket or as I said jogging get higher preference than someone who does rock climbing? An injury received in any activity is deserving of the same level of attention. Most "high risk" activities are often safer than walking down a street, even worse, driving a machine that causes how many deaths and serious accidents a year? And yet, we will all get in our cars and risk that the other drivers are as good as we are :) Our insurance policies cover us for losses, but AFAIK not hospital treatment.

In my work before retirement, I completed many risk assessments and method statements before starting contracts. It is surprising when you have to write down worst case how many, what could be looked on as minor things, could end in death. :(

Last edited:
Yes, I did read the words high risk, but are you saying that injuries received from playing football, cricket or as I said jogging get higher preference than someone who does rock climbing? An injury received in any activity is deserving of the same level of attention. Most "high risk" activities are often safer than walking down a street, even worse, driving a machine that causes how many deaths and serious accidents a year? And yet, we will all get in our cars and risk that the other drivers are as good as we are :) Our insurance policies cover us for losses, but AFAIK not hospital treatment.

In my work before retirement, I completed many risk assessments and method statements before starting contracts. It is surprising when you have to write down worst case how many, what could be looked on as minor things, could end in death. :(

I worked in oil and gas (safety obsessed) most of my life and accidents do happen no matter how hard you try to prevent them.

I'm saying that people (risk takers) who choose to jump off buildings, free climb, fly wing suits, do motor sport, ski/snowboard off piste etc ....should require insurance to cover them for the expensive rescue, hospitalisation and post hospital care that they are most likely going to need. There not much of risk of serious injury kicking a football around the field or chasing a tennis ball.

I worked in oil and gas (safety obsessed) most of my life and accidents do happen no matter how hard you try to prevent them.

I'm saying that people (risk takers) who choose to jump off buildings, free climb, fly wing suits, do motor sport, ski/snowboard off piste etc ....should require insurance to cover them for the expensive rescue, hospitalisation and post hospital care that they are most likely going to need. There not much of risk of serious injury kicking a football around the field or chasing a tennis ball.

I think Andy Murray would argue that one :D and as for football, go to A & E on Saturday night and see how many footballers are in there with various injuries, and later in life the problems those same palyers have with knees ankles etc. all good fun :D :D

I think Andy Murray would argue that one :D and as for football, go to A & E on Saturday night and see how many footballers are in there with various injuries, and later in life the problems those same palyers have with knees ankles etc. all good fun :D :D

I suppose we can always find statistical outliers if we look for them.:rolleyes: My point was there is not much risk in tennis....how many other tennis players can you name, that have the serious issues like AM has? Tiger Woods had serious back issues but it does not make golf a dangerous or risky sport .

The footballers are probably feigning their injuries (practise for when they hit the big league) - you wont find many rugby players there:):D.

Moving on from floods to fires.

Now the Australian fires are a terrible disaster but here's two stupid things about them.

Some of the fires are reckoned to have been started by disaffected youths - can anyone imagine a more stupid or damaging act than this.

If you blame the fires on global warming then there is a certain irony in the fact that Australia is the biggest exporter of coal to China and India which of course are amongst the countries most responsible for global warming. Here's the Australian PM pictured with a lump of coal, no wonder he isn't popular.

OIP.jpg

Moving on from floods to fires.

Now the Australian fires are a terrible disaster but here's two stupid things about them.

Some of the fires are reckoned to have been started by disaffected youths - can anyone imagine a more stupid or damaging act than this.

If you blame the fires on global warming then there is a certain irony in the fact that Australia is the biggest exporter of coal to China and India which of course are amongst the countries most responsible for global warming. Here's the Australian PM pictured with a lump of coal, no wonder he isn't popular.

View attachment 91241
A few points here. There are indeed many bushfires started deliberately in Australia by the ultra stupid. It’s not just restricted to the disaffected youths either. Around half of all bushfires in Australia are either known to be deliberately lit or are considered suspicious.

Another 35% of the bushfires are started “accidentally” - most by people not taking essential precautions such as ensuring their campfires are fully extinguished before leaving them or dropping still lit cigarette ends. In other words, they’re started by the stupid.

5E3FA2BF-C7FD-43D8-9166-3BA5582E0361.jpeg

As you can see, the fires are a long way from being blamed on global warming by those in the know. The extent and speed of spread may well be exacerbated as a result of global warming, but even many of the more natural issues are self-perpetuating because the fires are themselves creating climatic changes.

As with most of life’s disasters, it’s people who are mainly to blame. People can be so ‘kin stupid.

I get most of my information on the bushfires from my sister in Melbourne and one of her sons who is a firefighter living and working in Victoria’s bushland. I’m hoping to get better news from them when I’m in Melbourne next week - bushfires permitting.

A few points here. There are indeed many bushfires started deliberately in Australia by the ultra stupid. It’s not just restricted to the disaffected youths either. Around half of all bushfires in Australia are either known to be deliberately lit or are considered suspicious.

Another 35% of the bushfires are started “accidentally” - most by people not taking essential precautions such as ensuring their campfires are fully extinguished before leaving them or dropping still lit cigarette ends. In other words, they’re started by the stupid.

View attachment 91242

As you can see, the fires are a long way from being blamed on global warming by those in the know. The extent and speed of spread may well be exacerbated as a result of global warming, but even many of the more natural issues are self-perpetuating because the fires are themselves creating climatic changes.

As with most of life’s disasters, it’s people who are mainly to blame. People can be so ‘kin stupid.

I get most of my information on the bushfires from my sister in Melbourne and one of her sons who is a firefighter living and working in Victoria’s bushland. I’m hoping to get better news from them when I’m in Melbourne next week - bushfires permitting.
"working in Victoria’s bushland" interesting connotations [emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom