Arnold Clark poised to buy J R WEIR GROUP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grober

MB Master
Car
W204 ESTATE
Many Mercedes owners in Scotland will be interested to hear Arnold Clark are poised to buy the J R WEIR group. Arnold Clark confirms talks to buy John R Weir

Soon Arnold Clark will be as ubiquitous as Tescos in Scotland.

May well have something to do with this http://www.cvshow.com/webcontent/2011/09/30/block-exemption-the-clock-is-ticking-to-2013/

and http://www.osborneclarke.co.uk/automotive.aspx ----see Motor Vehicle Block Exemption pdf

initial impressions of this pending legislation are not good.

Last edited:
I think most in Scotland will be devastated by this I wouldn't buy a car from Arnold Clarke the 2 dealings I have had with them In Scotland were appalling and made English MB dealers look good :D However my dealing with JR Weir were pretty good and much better than their English counterparts which is why I used to buy my cars in Scotland. MB from Glasgow area, BMW from Stirling and never had a problem,

While my post details the impending JR WEIR sale folks should not be fooled into thinking this is just some local Scottish issue. I would urge them to read the articles concerned with the 2013 block exemption legislation said-- if believed-- to presage some potential major consolidation in the dealer sector through out the UK. :dk:

While my post details the impending JR WEIR sale folks should not be fooled into thinking this is just some local Scottish issue. I would urge them to read the articles concerned with the 2013 block exemption legislation said-- if believed-- to presage some potential major consolidation in the dealer sector through out the UK. :dk:

There is going to be massive dealer consolidation in the UK if the BER regs go through in their present state and the major manufacturers are looking at this and welcome it as it gives the manufacturer the control and not the dealer which is where it should be IMHO.

My own feeling this European legislation has been heavily influenced/driven /lobbied by the German motor vehicle manufacturing industry. It certainly appears to give more control to the manufacturer- but whether this will translate into a better deal for the "end user" in reality remains in somewhat in doubt . Or will that future extra pressure to perform /fiscal stress/uncertainty experienced by the dealer simply be passed on to the customer in the form of increased costs ? :dk:

John R Weir group were a pleasure to do business with when they looked after my E320cdi and when my old man bought his S350cdi.

This is very bad news.

My own feeling this European legislation has been heavily influenced/driven /lobbied by the German motor vehicle manufacturing industry. It certainly appears to give more control to the manufacturer- but whether this will translate into a better deal for the "end user" in reality remains in somewhat in doubt . Or will that future extra pressure to perform /fiscal stress/uncertainty experienced by the dealer simply be passed on to the customer in the form of increased costs ? :dk:

It has been heavily lobbied by the German manufacturers as there is a lot of unease with the companies (dealers) they have selling their products in various countries, another with a massive input on this is Ford who have been very vocal.

I think what it will do is eventually get rid off the rouge dealers and give the end user a fairer deal but maybe not necessarily a better one, depending on your definition of better and if that translates to a financial view.

For warranty claims and good will and service I suspect it will translate to a better deal.

I think what it will do is eventually get rid off the rouge dealers and give the end user a fairer deal but maybe not necessarily a better one, depending on your definition of better and if that translates to a financial view.

For warranty claims and good will and service I suspect it will translate to a better deal.

Well, Arnold Clark will dispel that myth with ease.

They are crap.

Not known locally as Arnold Shark for nothing :eek:

Sir Arnold Clark. Knighted in 2003 for 'Services to the Motor Industry' and 'Community Service'.

Wonder what 'services to the motor industry' they were referring to?

NB. not 'services to the motoring public'.

Mrs Druk bought a new Zsara from him a few years back. Every one of the many times she went back to them to pick it up she donned the zip-up-the-back suit with the donkey ears.

i bought a 2 year old mondeo from Arnold Clark Glasgow many years ago. There was a few minor issues with the car inside - rear window creaked when wound down and the mirror covers in the sunvisor was falling off. Did they want to fix this to keep me happy? erm, no. they said, take it like it is or leave it. i only actually bought it as it was a specific high spec model which i couldnt find anywhere else, and i fixed the issues myself which took about 30 mins in total. i've not been back since

Bad news indeed. I would never buy any car from Arnold Shark and certainly would never, ever let them do any work on one that I owned.

Postscript--its happened.

John R. Weir Group

Arnold Clark is delighted to welcome the John R. Weir Group to it's growing number of dealerships. The acquisition brings with it 7 new dealerships in:

Aberdeen
Dundee
Grangemouth
Inverness
Perth

Arnold Clark plans to continue to operate the newly acquired dealerships under the John R. Weir name with all 321 staff remaining employed by the group. The acquisition also represents the establishment of Arnold Clark's first Mercedes-Benz dealerships.

"The John R. Weir Group is synonymous with high standards of quality and customer service and we are proud to be welcoming the whole John R. Weir Group team into the Arnold Clark family. Together we will make a great success of this new acquisition." Eddie Hawthorne,
Arnold Clark Managing Director

Arnold Clark Acquires John R. Weir Group | Arnold Clark Automobiles

hopefully the weir group prices will be more in line with the rest of the uk now then. tried to buy my merc from Aberdeen, and saved 4k by going down south. Thats not icluding leather/sat nav etc. Aberdeen J r weir though they could justify their prices by aberdeen having its own mini economy.

Oh well, So that just Western left in scotland then..

Because nobody in their right mind would buy a car from arnold clark or Stratstone.

Final nail in the coffin for MB in scotland. Worst thing MB ever did was to consolidate all the dealerships.

Well that does it for me, AC will certainly not get any of my business.

Oh dear. I have a merc on order with JR Weir. My dealings with them have been good so far. Let's see how things go under AC. I absolutely detest Arnold Clark from previous experience and I think that them increasing their monopoly on the Scottish market bodes ill for anyone looking for a good deal.

Oh dear

I just picked up my new '62-plate on Saturday morning. Anticipated getting it serviced for the next 3 years at Weirs in Grangemouth but that's out the window now that that absolute dog turd of a dealer group Arnold Clarks are taking over. Looks like it'll have to be Sytners in Newcastle then. :bannana:

I just picked up my new '62-plate on Saturday morning. Anticipated getting it serviced for the next 3 years at Weirs in Grangemouth but that's out the window now that that absolute dog turd of a dealer group Arnold Clarks are taking over. Looks like it'll have to be Sytners in Newcastle then. :bannana:

What's wrong with Western at Newbridge?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom