Arnott Rear Air Shocks - Help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mpjsols12

Car
W211 E320 CDI
So I am going to do a full write up - as I have learnt a few tricks over and above some of the other descriptions I have found,

On the second side,it was down to a an hour or so to swap over. I think all has been succesful, but here is my problem,

I have both sides absolutely flat on the ground at the rear end. I thought I could convince the system, to inflate the air bags. I have tried all manner of combination, exhaust off, raise car, lower car, shut door open door. After reading in more detail I see that 97 percent of cars need start to inflate the bags.:fail

Possible I have ruined them, but I am optimistic I have not.

So I need to found somewhere that will do a star visit (I am happy to pay for time) to activate inflate air bags on star. I am located in Porthcawl near Bridgend. I cannot drive the car in current state of course. I am also looking around for a Reasonable priced star that I would be confident of. Amusing picture of car attached!
2A1NvBRpGaRVHGQ66

Is the sensor arm on the rear axle broken?
This could stop them being inflated by the system.
Get that checked before doing anything else.
It isn't easy to get to for checking and harder to change.

The air springs should have been pressurised before placing the weight of the car on them.
There is a procedure for setting them up at various pressures and checking alignment before allowing the full weight of the car on them.
The rear springs "should" be ok but the fronts will be ruined by depressurising fully.

Thanks for Information, really hoping they have not been damaged, I have a iCarsoft scanner which is reading the airmatic and it does not report any errors - however I will take a look as when I look at the values rear reports higher than front - which clearly it is not 19mm I believe,

Last edited:
There won't be any errors shown if the rear sensor arm is broken as all the sensor does is report the value it detects, which will remain constant as it now doesn't know that the rear axle is moving.
If the arm broke whilst the car was raised then the sensor thinks that the car is at it highest point and will not put any air into the rear springs.

jaymanek - Yes it worked to raise front of car. So I know that can work. Lyserman I think the sensor is likely as the car was raised to full before working on the car, I will try to get under tonite and look. I can see from the photos it is not the easiest location to get to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom