Arnott vs Bilstein air springs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisHGTV

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E250 Avantgarde Estate, Alfa GTV V6, Vespa, Ducati, many bicycles...
Hi All

Time to bite the bullet and go for new air springs and lines to hopefully cure the S212’s saggy bum! It’s already had a new compressor, valve block and the pipework from the compressor to valve block. It had a new merc air spring about a year ago on one side so can’t imagine that’s leaking already but who knows

So anyway, I’m looking at Arnott or Bilstein air springs, the Bilsteins are about £40 more at £280 each but I can’t find many reviews other than that the merc OE ones might be made by Bilstein. Both have a 2 year warranty. I‘m torn - ive had Bilsteins before on my old Fiat Coupe turbo and was impressed with the quality but most seem to go for Arnott....

cheers!

Hi Phobos - i went for Arnott. Mainly because most seem to use these, they all seem to have the same warranty. I read somewhere else they're also easier to fit than the Bilsteins. I got mine from Autodoc. Apparently if you buy them through the App they are slightly cheaper (i just ordered through the website). I had the lines replaced on mine as well - one was definitely leaking. Now it doesn't drop at all even left for weeks. It's a nice feeling to have it sorted! I posted the Merc part numbers for the various lines and joining part on another thread somewhere if of use....

On the S211 the Arnott air springs don't use the air reservoir that the original springs use so are easier to fit.
On the S212 there is no reservoir so the fitment difficulty/ease is the same for all.

When I replaced the air springs on my S212, the Arnotts were expensive. Probably not as expensive as genuine MB units but were close.
I bought Aerosus - available direct, good price, fast delivery, good warranty. That was over 4 years ago and they have been fine since then.
I didn't know about Bilsteins at the time but they would have been on the shortlist if I did.

There are some other unknown brand units available at very cheap prices but I suspect that warranty claims would be an issue.

For what it's worth I bought Arnotts from the Autodoc App and they arrived quickly (10 days from ordering) from Germany. Cost me £438 for a pair and they work just fine.

If you order from Autodoc, please be aware that the discount applied can move up and down. The max discount I have seen (and ordered at) was 38% but the lowest I have seen was 22% discount. So if the discount is low and you are not in a hurry then keep checking the app until the discount rises again.

For reference the discount today is 28% - £255.56 each

For what it's worth I bought Arnotts from the Autodoc App and they arrived quickly (10 days from ordering) from Germany. Cost me £438 for a pair and they work just fine.

If you order from Autodoc, please be aware that the discount applied can move up and down. The max discount I have seen (and ordered at) was 38% but the lowest I have seen was 22% discount. So if the discount is low and you are not in a hurry then keep checking the app until the discount rises again.

For reference the discount today is 28% - £255.56 each

Done, £518 all in as one is slightly more expensive and there's a £3.95 surcharge for some random reason.

Still £100 less than GSF or EPC for the same thing.

That covers a big chunk of the cost of fitting.

Great tip, thanks!

Would the cost of these from Autodoc include customs fees, or will that be on top once they arrive? I assume this sort of fee now applies post-Brexit?

Would the cost of these from Autodoc include customs fees, or will that be on top once they arrive? I assume this sort of fee now applies post-Brexit?
The great thing about the Autodoc App is that there is no additional import or vat charges. the final price is all you pay.

I was wary of this the same as you when looking at purchasing parts from the EU

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom