Arrrrrrgh my seats ripped!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gobsheite01

Car
Mercedes c220
Arrrrrrgh my seats ripped!

bb57e3419cd78c71999630ea8de33e25.jpg

When I bought my shiny gold Merc about 2 years ago it was in "as new" condition apart from a small tear in the driver's seat, well not to a tear but the stitching and started to come Undone
I said I would buy the car if they fix the seat and they fixed it and here we are two years on and it's starting to tear again

Is this a problem with Mercedes seats and more importantly where could I get it fixed forever and ever amen I live in Loughborough Leicestershire

Sent from my GEM-702L using Tapatalk

d:class, finest there is. Bit of a drive but if you want the best....

Any local trim shop should be able to sort that, Over time leather stretches and im sure they could pull that in and restitch along the whole line without changing the leather. I had exactly the same on a bolster once and once the repair was done you would never know and my tear was a good half inch in !

Did speak to an upholstery who says he's done hundreds and Mercedes and it's a common problem and it's not leather and if he cannot do a permanent repair
he says the start material dries out and keeps cracking he says it's a constant problem
Thought I would post to the Mercedes forum to see whether it is a known issue and whether there is a permanent cure but it seems to me like no here as heard of it

Sent from my GEM-702L using Tapatalk

It's artico, pretend leather.

Mine ripped in exactly the same place, but mine is worse.

The seat in my Dads C class did the same. He has Alpaca grey artico too. A very common problem it would appear. It's not actually the stitching coming apart. It's the Artico tearing as the sticking pulls through it. I know as I removed the base section of the seat to see what was going on. Where that line of the tear is, is actually one piece of artico stitched across and through to the wadding and base layer underneath. As it's pulled through the artico there is not enough slack in the artico to re stitch it. D Class actually wanted £250 to fix it. I bought a new seat base cover from MB Oxford for £190 and re-covered the base myself. That really is the best if not the only solution I'm afraid

They may well have done the stitching too tight and too small which would cut through the leather with you bouncing up and down on it.

This seems to be a very common problem from 2007 onward with Mercedes, unsure if fixed in newer models. I’ve had many Mercs to date from the 1995 to 2005 era and while their seats were in great condition their electrics were a disaster. Last year I looked at 15 Mercs from 2007-2012 era (E&C-Class) and every single one of them had ripped drivers seats. This seems like a terrible fault in Mercedes.

So I ended up buying a Merc with a torn seat and scrapped my 2005 E-Class with a seat in perfect condition but electrics fried! I was quoted €300 for new leather and sprayed to match colour, which I’ll probably do.

They all do it at some point. Its really disappointing as MB interiors used to be super hardy.

They should go back to killing real animals and using their skin to make seats! When I was young only the nastiest cars had vinyl/plastic seats (which is effectively what Artico is)...now its on high end cars. My wife went to look at a nearly new A Class....she thought it was leather (as did I) but the salesman said "no....its vegan leather"....my how we laughed....he didn't however! Put us off the car to be honest....well that and the fact that all the A Class interiors where "pit of doom" black!.....and the cream leather in her W169 has a a so much more quality feel to it and at about 17 years old its still like new Pity. They still kill all the cows to eat them....so what the point of wasting all the leather??

Buy mechanics vinyl seat covers.
Covers are thick and very protective.
I have it on my drivers and passenger seat for 20 years protecting leather seats.

I try not to do stuff like that....keeping cars A1 by doing things like covering seats or not driving them much to keep the miles down/value up...I bought them for me to enjoy....not the next owner. Similar to dating a super model....but not shagging her to keep her tight for the next bloke!

This seems to be a very common problem from 2007 onward with Mercedes, unsure if fixed in newer models.

We had a 2007 S203 C class ... the black artico seats on that were fine when we sold it in 2020 on 115k miles (below). Wonder if lighter colours are less durable, for some reason? Or even an estate vs saloon thing ... IIRC the estates were built in Germany, the saloons in South Africa.

1674637205401.png

1674637247105.png

I try not to do stuff like that....keeping cars A1 by doing things like covering seats or not driving them much to keep the miles down/value up...I bought them for me to enjoy....not the next owner. Similar to dating a super model....but not shagging her to keep her tight for the next bloke!

If you never knock her up she'll still be snug 'n tight after expiration date have passed. 🤣
Super models only for sh*gging and looking good. 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom