Art Deco fans ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

moonloops

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W204 C350 CDI AMG Sport
I likes a bit of the old Art Deco, and being one for travelling around London village quite a bit I tend to overlook the obvious...

... so having to wait for 7 mins for the next tube I looked around a bit and noticed this view:

IMAG0281_zpsff8ca082.jpg

Pukka 1930's and functional in the 2010's to a point I guess...

I do like a bit of art-deco architecture, the tube is full of it. Much better than the crap we build today imho.

Love the Art Deco period.

This is my favourite escape destination...

private-view-of-the-hotel.jpg

I likes a bit of the old Art Deco, and being one for travelling around London village quite a bit I tend to overlook the obvious...

... so having to wait for 7 mins for the next tube I looked around a bit and noticed this view:

IMAG0281_zpsff8ca082.jpg

Pukka 1930's and functional in the 2010's to a point I guess...

That looks like a Parkour's paradise!

Love the Art Deco period.

This is my favourite escape destination...

private-view-of-the-hotel.jpg

You have fine taste Sir.

I've got you down as a Malcolm Campbell kind of guy - it must be your penchant for colourful leather.

Indeed and Nettlefold, Odeon, Noel Coward ....

Midland Hotel Morecambe, recently refurbished by Urban Splash.
Midland-Hotel%252C-Morecambe%252C-Lancashire-2.jpg

The first two cars I saw were the Jowett Javelin and the MGA, which made me wonder when the refurbishment took place!

The Midland is only half a mile from my house. I was a committee member of The Friends of The Midland Hotel. We campaigned to save this lovely building from being knocked down - it had fallen into disrepair after many years of decline. I'm pleased to see it's a thriving business again. Well worth a trip - the interior is equally stunning.

I've organised a couple of evening visits to the Midland for the Lancashire section of the Mercedes-Benz Club. We had about 15 classic Mercedes cars parked directly outside the Hotel - looked very impressive. The Hotel looked after us very well indeed.

Midland Hotel Morecambe, recently refurbished by Urban Splash.
Midland-Hotel%252C-Morecambe%252C-Lancashire-2.jpg

I've organised a couple of evening visits to the Midland for the Lancashire section of the Mercedes-Benz Club. We had about 15 classic Mercedes cars parked directly outside the Hotel - looked very impressive. The Hotel looked after us very well indeed.

I've just realised who you are over there, Steve! :doh:

The bit at bottom right is the Captain's cabin from the 1821 HMS Ganges. It's now the library

The hotel was a private house built by Mr Nettlefold, heir to Guest, Keen and Nettlefold (GKN)

I stayed there with friends the first New Year after Tony and Bea opened it as a hotel. We had a right old time

Nick Froome

Burgh Island has been a hotel since 1929..

We've stayed many times over the last 6yrs, try and get a week's break either in the spring or autumn. Just back from a lovely stay in Nettlefold (our favourite after Noel Coward).
Gary mixes a most acceptable Negroni ;)

LOVE IT!!! My favourite architecture. I’m amazed at how much of this is still being lost, even today. We’ve just recently lost our former ODEON cinema, in the name of town centre ‘regeneration’. Cornwall only ever had 2 ODEON’S, both opened in 1936, one in Falmouth, demolished in 1976 for a Tesco store, the other at Chandos Place, St.Austell, demolished in 2007. Hanging is to good for the clueless idiots responsible.:mad:
odeonstaustell.jpg
St, Austell ODEON

The Piccadilly line in West London has some superb Art Deco stations.

The South Coast has some good art deco - Shoreham airport, Embassy Court and the old Butlins at Saltdean.

Top quality Art Deco furniture has gone from being skip material to immensely valuable.

De la Warr Pavillion in Bexhill on sea is another.

Oddly, the Hoover dam. Stuffed full of art deco, beautiful.

Even the toilets!

5187384095_315c9de36a_z.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom