Artico vs. Leather

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LTD

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Polo GTi (and a travel pass for the train and subway)
What is the opinion of the cognoscenti ?

Funny you should mention that, as I've come across an bizarre anomaly when specifying my SLK - if you specify "exclusive" nappa leather, the dashboard is also trimmed in nappa, but go for Designo exclusive nappa (far more aesthetically pleasing, though over twice the price) and the dashboard is trimmed in Artico. No-one can tell me why, but I've asked my dealership if they can arrange a special order to pair Designo with a nappa dash.

Artico may be OK for those that eschew leather for anything but shoes, but however good it may be, it's still just fancy plastic when it comes down to it.

Artico = taxi trim
Leather = the real thing

The combination of hard suspension and Artico trim was enough to put me off getting a Sport model E Class

The salesman in MB southampton tried to tell me that no-one could tell the difference anyway.

Absolute rubbish.

Most people who dislike leather in cars have normally only been in cars with some kind of fake or bad leather.

I've gone off leather. It's just a status thing, it's something you just expect to see on a premium vehicle.

However I've come to find the artico/alcantara sport seats not only more practical, they don't bake in the summer sun they don't act like a fridge in winter, but also more comfortable.

I don't like cloth though, especially light cloth as it's murder to keep clean.

I now wouldn't order leather in a car having done so for over 20 years.

I've gone off leather. It's just a status thing...

Not necessarily. That's a bit like saying people only buy MBs for the badge.

It's virtually impossible to get genuine cloth is mainstream car these days with out having it re-trimmed, and some of us are averse to sitting on man-made fibres. Same goes for Artico, Alcantara and Dynamica - they're all just fancy names for plastic.

Trim doesn't have to be leather, but I'd at least want it be a natural substance/material.

the dashboard is trimmed in Artico.

Surely the dashboard isn't trimmed in cloth- not even with the cloth (Artico) seats?

Surely the dashboard isn't trimmed in cloth- not even with the cloth (Artico) seats?

Nappa is standard for the seats, but then the dashboard comes in untrimmed moulded plastic. Exclusive Nappa is optional, and extends to the dash and door rails as well. designo exclusive nappa sees the dash nappa replaced with Artico.

Nappa is standard for the seats, but then the dashboard comes in untrimmed moulded plastic. Exclusive Nappa is optional, and extends to the dash and door rails as well. designo exclusive nappa sees the dash nappa replaced with Artico.

Where are you getting that info (Designo using Artico)? I can't see any cloth on the dash on the designo page or the used example below that...

Mercedes-Benz UK - Lines and equipment - designo

Approved Used 2013 MERCEDES-BENZ SLK350 BlueEFFICIENCY for sale

The Designo page mentions an optional Alcantara windscreen surround- perhaps that material is also used elsewhere in the standard Designo package?

You can't beat premium stitched leather imho,adds a touch of elegance-looked at artico in mb showrooms before but it's not for me,looks/feels cheap.

In my humble and honest opinion, i have chosen leather over cloth in my last few cars, (BMW 5 series, W210 and W211), because the cloth option is bladdy awful. Like a circa 90's Jap car. My '98 model C class sport estate however had fantastic black cloth which looked well up to the task of a "premium" brand car.

Artico is artificial leather, it doesn't look like cloth.

Thanks chaps, what a dummy. I've been labouring under that misconception ever since I saw a trim described as Artico/Cloth- which I now know must have been a half-leather(ish)/cloth setup but at the time I thought meant that Artico was cloth.

I suppose the name was a clue- mischievously similar to Antico (leather).

Oh well. In the past there was also Nauga hide, but I think they've been hunted to extinction.

Personally I prefer cloth seats, getting into a car in the summer with black leather, nearly end up at A&E with second degree burns... no thanks.

Personally I prefer cloth seats, getting into a car in the summer with black leather, nearly end up at A&E with second degree burns... no thanks.
Not if you've specced ventilated/ cooled seats:cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom