As if diesel wasn't expensive enough already...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doodle

MB Enthusiast
Car
R129, KTM 1290SAR, Superb 272 wagon
I pulled into the Shell station in Reading today and filled up as usual, 55 litres into the C250's tank, according to the pump. So what's the problem, you may ask?

The tank was 1/4 full when I got there :eek:
(backed up by 300 miles on the trip meter, which I zero on every fill).

So where the hell did the extra couple of gallons go? I sure as hell didn't throw it over the forecourt and the side of the car, and as good as Merc's are, the tank didn't magically expand to take the extra on board.

Shell's Customer Services are getting a call tomorrow...they've got some explaining to do :mad:

mmm looking forward to this one - might be worth filling a fuel can from the same pump and see if you get exactly 5 litres out as well before you call them

Was the pump zeroed before you started to fill the tank? -- i.e. your missing gallons are in the tank of the person who used the pump previously but you - or both of you! paid for them . petrol pumps are calibrated regularly by weights and measures because of the tax revenue implications so I doubt if its that.

Last edited:
DolphiN Tech said:
I pulled into the Shell station in Reading today and filled up as usual, 55 litres into the C250's tank, according to the pump. So what's the problem, you may ask?

The tank was 1/4 full when I got there :eek:
(backed up by 300 miles on the trip meter, which I zero on every fill).

So where the hell did the extra couple of gallons go? I sure as hell didn't throw it over the forecourt and the side of the car, and as good as Merc's are, the tank didn't magically expand to take the extra on board.

Shell's Customer Services are getting a call tomorrow...they've got some explaining to do :mad:
Well, maybe someone else used your car and reset the trip. Or, better, you thought you had a full tank when you last filled up, but it was a few bricks short of a load.
Of course, someone may be playing a little trick on you. You'll know when you start posting to the forum that you're getting ninehundred miles between fills. Cos the stuff you're losing now is sitting in a can somewhere and will go back later in the wind-up cycle.

The world is a wondrous and mysterious place.

Birdman - sorry, but not possible. My car, I'm the only one insured on it, nobody else has had access to the keys since last fill up etc etc...
I hear what you're saying about "not being full", but to get 55 litres into a W202 I would have to be into reserve, the tank is only 62l. I could believe that my gauge was wrong, but generally I get around 400 miles from a tank, so it was about right.

Grober - yes, it was...I wondered about that too, but I saw it reset as I picked up the nozzle. I know that this garage has had "problems" in the past, I probably should have known better!

Still, will phone them this morning and see what happens

EDIT - Looks like they've had a few complaints about this particular pump, about a dozen calls yesterday. Apparently they're going to send me a voucher of some description...

Last edited:
Silvertank said:
That seemed easy - good on you!
That's what I thought! I was preparing myself for a big battle, and then got

"Pump no.6, sir? Yes, we've had a few reports about that one. We've dispatched an engineer to check it..." :rock:

Last edited:
grober said:
Complain to the local weights and measures/ trading standards and Customs and Excise! https://www.taxevasionhotline.co.uk/ They are breaking several laws! Dont hold your breath waiting for the voucher!! How many other folks never noticed. Are they going to trace them all to refund them--NO CHANCE.

I agree, contact weights and measures. They have the clout to correct sharp practice.:crazy:

grober said:
Complain to the local weights and measures/ trading standards and Customs and Excise! https://www.taxevasionhotline.co.uk/ or customs confidential http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pagePractitionerZone_ShowContent&propertyType=document&columns=1&id=HMCE_PROD_009226
They are breaking several laws! Dont hold your breath waiting for the voucher!! How many other folks never noticed. Are they going to trace them all to refund them--NO CHANCE.

I totally agree with grober.

In the good old days :) following a number of complaints Trading Standards would arrive at the garage and purchase a set amount of fuel which would go into a completely empty container. This would be measured at a mobile laboratory and if there was a discrepancy, then the whole World would descend on the garage.

I Carnot help but wonder how many customers are not as diligent as your good self?

How much extra money has that garage 'accidentally' overcharged its customers??

John

grober said:
They are breaking several laws! Dont hold your breath waiting for the voucher!! How many other folks never noticed. Are they going to trace them all to refund them--NO CHANCE.

Indeed, my guess will be only the people who noticed and bothered to complain...

I might well give the customs boys a bell tomorrow and let them know that they might want to make some inquiries

Big companies normally take this sort of thing pretty seriously ... simply not worth risking damage to their image/reputation.

glojo said:
In the good old days :) following a number of complaints Trading Standards would arrive at the garage and purchase a set amount of fuel which would go into a completely empty container. This would be measured at a mobile laboratory and if there was a discrepancy, then the whole World would descend on the garage.
I'm going back 30 yrs (gulp!) but I used to work in a garage and they came round quite often and did random checks, there was nothing covert about it.
It's a big deal for it to be wrong, as it's duty evasion.

Rory said:
I'm going back 30 yrs (gulp!) but I used to work in a garage and they came round quite often and did random checks, there was nothing covert about it.
It's a big deal for it to be wrong, as it's duty evasion.

Hi Rory,
I totally agree about the regular checks, but what I am talking about is the culvert!!

If you were an innocent, law abiding person then you would never know they happened, nor I suspect would they have had a need.

Customs & Excise has been suggested, and again when these 'kind' people carry out a raid on someone, they leave no stone unturned. This garage deserves a visit :) (If you think the Police have too many powers then research the powers of Her Majestys Customs and Excise)

John

glojo said:
Customs & Excise has been suggested, and again when these 'kind' people carry out a raid on someone, they leave no stone unturned. This garage deserves a visit :) (If you think the Police have too many powers then research the powers of Her Majestys Customs and Excise)

John
Yes, some of the stuff they can do in the line of duty is fairly eye-opening

Last edited:
DolphiN Tech said:
Yes, some of the stuff they can do in the line of duty is fairly eye-opening

Just read the un-edited version and yup!! :)

Frightening, but very true.

John

Is it possible to have the name and location of this garage (by PM if need be).

I live in the Reading area and always fill up at Shell to get tasty Optimax. Only last night I absent mindedly pumped over £55 worth of the stuff into the ever thirsty CLK and its never once crossed my mind I might be getting duped.

Thanks for the original post. A call for vigilance if ever there was one!

I actually pumped more than the tank capacity into my car a while ago! I was running on fumes though, so it was believable.
Shude said:
It's a 62 litre tank. I have a receipt here that says I got 64.75 in it! Don't forget a certain percentage is lost to bubbles of air etc! :(
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=14076

EDIT:
Whoa! From later in that thread:
Shude said:
Just got 65.3 litres into my W202 62 litre tank.

Last edited:
Anyone want to swap fuel bills, mine has an 80 litre tank. Ouch!!

Pietre said:
Anyone want to swap fuel bills, mine has an 80 litre tank. Ouch!!
The size of the tank compared to fuel bill is irrelevent! I *wish* mine had a 150 litre tank so I'd not have to fill it up every 5 days! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom