As Nice As Dame Helen Mirren?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
Like Dame Helen Mirren, still beautiful after all these years.

I spotted this 1960 Ponton this evening. I managed to have a brief chat with the owner, Alan Cross, who gave me permission to photograph the car.

The photo's were taken with my Nokia N95 8GB phone, so they are not at all bad.

The car has recently had re-coloured seats, and new carpets, mmm.. the smell of that new red carpet.

The engine is a 2.2 straight six, but has twin carbs, fitted a long time ago by a previous owner. Because the car runs so well it will remain this way unless something goes wrong in the future.

Apparently, these cars sell for 100,000 Euro's in Gemany and incidentally that is where the car will go on Tuesday for a 4, day trip, sporting 2, flags - one British and one German.

More images of interior etc on the next pages.

Attachments

• 01062009340.jpg
    01062009340.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 244
  • 01062009341.jpg
    01062009341.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 212
  • 01062009343.jpg
    01062009343.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
More Images.

More Images.

Attachments

• 01062009344.jpg
    01062009344.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 212
  • 01062009348.jpg
    01062009348.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 210
  • 01062009349.jpg
    01062009349.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 209
More Pics.

More Pics.

Attachments

• 01062009350.jpg
    01062009350.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 209
  • 01062009351.jpg
    01062009351.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 209
  • 01062009353.jpg
    01062009353.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 210
Pic.

Pic.

Attachments

• 01062009354.jpg
    01062009354.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 211
He brought the car to a national concours event at the Haynes Museum last year. It's a great wine transporter as well! Did he show you the foldaway rear seats?

If you look carefully at the windscreen, he has a second rear view mirror on the passenger's side of the car!!

Beautiful car- they were horrendously expensive even when new. I hate to think what all the chrome gismos/trim would cost to refurb today.A true labour of love. Thanks for the pics-definitely ones for the album.

He brought the car to a national concours event at the Haynes Museum last year. It's a great wine transporter as well! Did he show you the foldaway rear seats?

If you look carefully at the windscreen, he has a second rear view mirror on the passenger's side of the car!!

No, he didn't give me a demonstration of the rear seats. :D

I did notice the second mirror on the windscreen.

The car is almost 50 years old. Incredible, and nothing to dislike about it. :cool:

Better looking than some of the younger models too. ;)

A truly superb example , just the thing for the weather we're having just now !

A lot of people converted the early fuel injection to carburretors .

Thanks Derek,

I was hoping you might see this car.

A superb looking car and great build quality. I'd LOVE to own one of these.

The only thing I was surprised at was the 2.2 engine size. I was expecting 2.8+ really. Alan reckons that the 2.2 straight six is a capable engine, so I won't argue with him.

I said to Alan that I would never go out in a car like that for fear of vandalism. He said "you'd be surprised, people never touch it" Respect or what? :cool:

As they say, "Style never goes out of fashion"
What a beautiful car. Just think how stunning it must have looked when it came out.

An absolute gem. What a superb car.
Can you imagine "Pimp my ride" getting hold of this beauty?
Just the thought brings tears to my eyes..................

I said to Alan that I would never go out in a car like that for fear of vandalism. He said "you'd be surprised, people never touch it" Respect or what? :cool:

Safe within our own circles, but the sorry reality is that no-one has touched it yet.:( I once returned to my car (on a high st) with its roof down, to find someone had dumped their lunchtime rubbish onto the passenger seat. Trivial and childish, I know, but add a few beers to that kind of mentality....

There is also always a danger when displaying cars such as this beauty that people either don't supervise their kids properly, or lean across the car for a better look, and inadvertantly catch a zip or belt on the paintwork.:mad: That said, we'd probably all help him give it a polish!

Hope you don't mind me adding to ringway's great pics with this one, taken last year. (My beryl blue 124 cab opposite!).

pontoncab.jpg

Absolutely stunning car! Thanks for posting!

The 'Ponton' name is the German word for 'Pontoon' .

When the cars were launched in the early 1950's , a journalist remarked that the chassis design reminded him of the construction of a Pontoon Bridge ( I think he was referring to the underslung 'Fahrenschemel' or front subframe which carries the engine , gearbox and front suspension - permitting the assembly to be dropped out for servicing ) and the name stuck , eventually becoming recognised and accepted even by the factory ! I've got pictures on my computer at home showing the removed assembly so will add one tonight .

I wonder what is the background betwen this being LHD and the speedo in MPH instead of KPH?

A lovely old motor! From the days when Mercedes were truly a world apart from virtually every other marque. A proper classic car.

True, but if they were still only up for making cars like this - at Maybach/Bugatti prices, they would be no more and would have gone the way of Alvis, Armstrong and up to very recently, Maybach and Bugatti.
Just be glad Mercedes ARE more mainstream - and therefore are enjoyable at almost normal car prices.

Thanks for posting those photos -- a fantastic car....:rock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom