Asda Car Park Fine?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

l5foye

Car
ML 300CDI
Recently I had the misfortune to use an Asda carpark. It was less than a quarter full and I parked in a far off corner. When I returned, there was a parking ticket for £60 (£30 if paid within a certain time) . My 'crime' apparently was I didn't park exactly within the designated box. While there was a sign saying Maximum Parking 3 Hours, there were no other signs. I shall not be paying the fine (I will go to jail first).
What I plan to do is - erect a sign at the entrance of my house saying parking in my driveway is subject to my rules and regulations. In an obscure corner, I will put up a tiny sign saying 'No Commercial Vehicles- failure to comply will result in the vehicle being clamped. Release Fee £60'.
I will then order a home delivery from Asda -and as soon as the vehicle comes into my driveway, I will clamp it and demand £60 !
What do you think?

Recently I had the misfortune to use an Asda carpark. It was less than a quarter full and I parked in a far off corner. When I returned, there was a parking ticket for £60 (£30 if paid within a certain time) . My 'crime' apparently was I didn't park exactly within the designated box. While there was a sign saying Maximum Parking 3 Hours, there were no other signs. I shall not be paying the fine (I will go to jail first).
What I plan to do is - erect a sign at the entrance of my house saying parking in my driveway is subject to my rules and regulations. In an obscure corner, I will put up a tiny sign saying 'No Commercial Vehicles- failure to comply will result in the vehicle being clamped. Release Fee £60'.
I will then order a home delivery from Asda -and as soon as the vehicle comes into my driveway, I will clamp it and demand £60 !
What do you think?

I think I would do no more than simply ignore the ticket.

Mic

Dont worry about it, the firm they use to police asda car parks is a private parking company from perth, who have no legal power to make you pay anything. The ticket will say that they can trace your address from the dvla, but it is ilegal for them to do that or for the dvla to provide the details.

I've had 2 tickets now, both of them I have ignored and never heard anything else.

Last edited:
Guess there is not much a private firm can do if you don't pay. I know people who have managed never to pay parking tickets issued by various NHS trusts..one of them claims he's had about 50 of them and never paid!

Sounds like they're trying it on, especially as there are no warning signs about fines

What do you think?

What ASDA was this, I'd like to Google it. Anyway, since bailiffs can't operate in Northern Ireland there will not be a knock at your door.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity...there aren't many ASDA'S in Northern Ireland. IIRC there was one near Fortwilliam, North Belfast. Was it this one?

The only parking tickets you must pay are those issued by a county council parking attendant or that come from the council direct with their logo on. Ignore any private firms.

The above is true for england but I'm not sure of Ireland.

Interesting....ASDA website tells they have 15 stores in NI. But use their store locator..can find only 5 stores in NI

The only parking tickets you must pay are those issued by a county council parking attendant or that come from the council direct with their logo on. Ignore any private firms.

The above is true for england but I'm not sure of Ireland.

I don't know about Ireland either, but for Northern Ireland (UK) its the same.

Sounds very similar to one my wife was sent for parking over than 3 hrs in our local Outlet stores place (boots, mothercare,Next etc..)

1st letter demanded £60 or £90 if not paid in 14 days.

I googled it and asked on here, basically for me the advice was to leave it.

2nd letter more threatening with CCJ's higher fine, debt colletors etc... Have to admit at this point I almost paid....

Then no more letters at all and this probably 3 months ago..

Google the parking company and see what you find.

As everybody has said DO NOT PAY, this is a scam these people have no right to enforce these tickets. You have not been issued with a penalty ticket, as they would like you to believe, but an invoice for an alleged breach of contract. See the links that I have provided below which will back this up and furthermore don't enter into any correspondence with these people, simply ignore them :thumb:

LINK HERE

AND HERE

You could just send the ticket back to them , WITHOUT ANY CORRESPONDENCE AND CERTAINLY WITHOUT SUPPLYING ANY PERSONAL DETAILS , and just write 'REJECTED' scross it in large letters .

Be sure not to put a stamp on the envelope so they have to pay the postage when they get it :devil:

As everybody has said DO NOT PAY, this is a scam these people have no right to enforce these tickets. You have not been issued with a penalty ticket, as they would like you to believe, but an invoice for an alleged breach of contract. See the links that I have provided below which will back this up and furthermore don't enter into any correspondence with these people, simply ignore them :thumb:

LINK HERE

AND HERE

Hmm, the statement you make - that "these people have no right to enforce these tickets" is not backed up by the links you have provided, where the website specifically talks about "unfair" parking penalties.

Everything I have ever read about private parking enforcement is consistent and does not give those transgressing the posted conditions of the parking facility the right to simply ignore any "penalty notice". If someone has blatently breached the publicly displayed terms and conditions, they are liable and cannot afford to simply ignore all correspondence. It amazes me how often this wholly incorrect assertion is made on this forum.

The crux of the matter is: did the person who received the parking penalty blatently flout the posted terms and conditions (e.g. staying too long, parking across multiple bays, not displaying a ticket, etc). and, if they did, is the penalty proportionate? these are the two points upon which a challenge can be made.

In the OP's case, by parking across multiple bays, they may have broken the posted conditions. If that is the case, it may be necessary to pay a recompense for breaching the terms of the parking facility. The amount of "penalty" is open to interpretation and the issue can probably be resolved with a cheque for £5 or so as a reasonable settlement for breach of contract. However, they certainly cannot be sure that simply ignoring all correspondence will simply make the matter go away (though it might!).

Just one Question
Did You park to go shopping at Asda's

I thought that the "fine" was actually in law an "invoice" - and therefore has to have the driver's, not owners, details on it; as the "contract" is between the driver and the land owner.

Therefore ignore. BUT....The law on this is going to change - don't know when - and then it will be the owner who is liable.

All IMHO if course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom