ASDA Fuel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

F2ED W

Car
2015.5 CLS 220D AMG Premium Diamond White
Hello all. Just a quick one. I am PXing my C250d Coupé and I came out of the dealership after completing paper work and my fuel light came on.

I could only see an ASDA so decided to fill up there. Luckily I only put in 20£ as I'm giving the car in this week. As I drove I noticed that the check engine light came on. Now I was panicking as I've got to hand this car to the dealer any day now. So last night I decided to go for a long drive to get rid of he fuel that I put in from ASDA. After a couple hours it piped up saying fuel low. So I went into a shell garage and put in 15£ of V Power Diesel.

Drove a few more miles to get home and the light was still on. I thought there's nothing I can do!

As I got into he car this morning and turned it on to my relief the check engine light had gone on. Thank god.

Has anyone else had this sort of issue before?

I've googled it and other vehicles have also noted this problem.

Fred

Asda fuel has to comply with the minimum standards for the type of fuel, so I doubt its the cause of the MIL, unless they had a miss-fueling issue in the tanks.

Yeah that's what I saw when I googled it the other day. However seems to be a coincidence that when the 'ASDA' fuel ran out and I went back to Shell the light went off. I know he only way to tell is for diagnostics but it does seems strange

Thanks

Asda, morrissons and especially sainsburys in the past I've had problems with, but can never prove it. Cars always just seemed sluggish. My workvan I fill up at tesco, I have tried and tested various other supermarkets in the van and have found tesco fuel seems okay, again it seemed sluggish on the rest

In an old Impreza of mine I'd only put the 99-Ron special stuff from tescos in, my current car always shell but have now switched to the more expensive diesel there

Have heard rumours in the past of metal fillings found in supermarket fuel but you never know? Half of it seems an old wives tale

Never had a problem with sainsburys super unleaded, been running my cars for the past ten years on it.

The 'going for a drive' to clear out the asda fuel made me chuckle :)

Good work

ASDA's fuel supply contract is with a VERY VERY reputable supplier so no issues there.

Run my Golf GTD on Tesco DERV + Millers (Again Tesco fuel now sourced from a decent supplier) after the previous issues they had. MB runs on Tesco Momentum 99 RON

Used to run Shell V Power both petrol & diesel but most Shell stations around us stopped selling it as it didn't sell. I was reliably informed that the turnover of V power was so slow that the RON rating at the end of the tank virtually matched the regular 95 RON

Yeah that's what I saw when I googled it the other day. However seems to be a coincidence that when the 'ASDA' fuel ran out and I went back to Shell the light went off. I know he only way to tell is for diagnostics but it does seems strange

Thanks

That's why we have the word "coincidence".

Does the check engine light come on if the diesel fuel drops below a preset level? Seem to recall reading somewhere it takes 3-5 IGN cycles to clear after refuelling.

Thanks

It didn't go out when you changed fuel...it went out after the car had stood all night. You wanted it to be the fuel.

I thought that all this fuel quality talk was bunkum, I still do when talking about diesel.

This was until I owned a direct injection petrol engine, the sensitivity to different fuel of this car was a complete mystery to me.

I know that I have posted about this before so I'll keep it short.

My BMW E60 525i would not run right on anything but Shell or ESSO premium petrol. I never tried supermarket except Tesco momentum briefly which was OK.

BP was probably the worst, under any kind of load the EML would come on and the car would go into limp mode. All would be OK after a restart until under load again.

So was it the fuel or the car?

A bit of both I suspect, in less sensitive cars the fuel would have been fine I expect.

Incidentally, the Beemer was the only car with a digital clock that ran slow that I have ever known and the battery would only hold charge for a few hours when locked, it would start shutting down stuff to conserve thee battery and as a result the car would start every time but all the settings and memory would be lost.

Drove nice though!

Fuel talk goes on and around in circles and it always will do...

The only thing i do not understand is why is Shell Nitro so perfect?

I have used it for years on my different motors petrol and diesel but there is no other fuel that gives me what Shell Nitro does ......so why is that?....cannot other companies do the same?

I have used them all and i find BP the worst fuels for price running performance and mpg....they must be missing something from there fuels to help save the money for the Carribean mistake.....Lol

So was it the fuel or the car?

Incidentally, the Beemer was the only car with a digital clock that ran slow that I have ever known and the battery would only hold charge for a few hours when locked, it would start shutting down stuff to conserve thee battery and as a result the car would start every time but all the settings and memory would be lost.

So you may actually have answered your own question.

So you may actually have answered your own question.

Clever ain't I?

Fuel or car? It was both really, the car was super sensitive to fuel quality, apparently direct injection petrol engines always have been, I've heard that Mitsubishi had an issue with it as well. Something to do with sulphur was the opinion of my indie at the time.
So the car had an issue which simply highlighted the differences in fuel from a number of suppliers.
The electrics were a separate and well documented issue with earth straps in the boot, sadly the recall didn't fix mine but it never went up in flames like others did.

lewyboy said:
Clever ain't I? Fuel or car? It was both really, the car was super sensitive to fuel quality, apparently direct injection petrol engines always have been, I've heard that Mitsubishi had an issue with it as well. Something to do with sulphur was the opinion of my indie at the time. So the car had an issue which simply highlighted the differences in fuel from a number of suppliers. The electrics were a separate and well documented issue with earth straps in the boot, sadly the recall didn't fix mine but it never went up in flames like others did.
The direct injection petrol engine in my C350 shows no such sensitivities. It mostly runs on Tesco petrol, because they're the nearest to home (and I get points for Virgin air miles). Otherwise it's whatever fuel is in the petrol station I happen to be near when I need some. Did a big tour of Europe (7 countries) a couple of years ago getting petrol of unknown quality from all over the place and wasn't aware of any variation in performance (speeds up to 150mph) or consumption (>35mpg overall). Perhaps it's just that Mercedes make better engines than BMW and the others ;)

The direct injection petrol engine in my C350 shows no such sensitivities. It mostly runs on Tesco petrol, because they're the nearest to home (and I get points for Virgin air miles). Otherwise it's whatever fuel is in the petrol station I happen to be near when I need some. Did a big tour of Europe (7 countries) a couple of years ago getting petrol of unknown quality from all over the place and wasn't aware of any variation in performance (speeds up to 150mph) or consumption (>35mpg overall). Perhaps it's just that Mercedes make better engines than BMW and the others ;)

Quite likely!

To be fair the car was great to drive and, like you, I did several European trips in it. Once I'd sussed out it's quirks it was, mostly, a pleasure and good on fuel too - 38mpg over 100k miles.

I did get rather fed up with replacing coil packs and injectors, the HPFP was a heartbreaker at over £800 too.

Well I run my S320 on Asda diesel,I always put 250mil of synthetic two stroke oil in as well,but I have had no trouble,I have also used Morrissons again with no problems,if people want to get more power out of diesel mix 5% of kerosene in it that gets you moving.

A chap who works for me put Diesel in his c220 cdi from there and the car smoked really bad also coughed and spluttered until he changed the fuel filter and and refilled with esso.

My wife also had to have a O2 sensor replaced on her (petrol) vehicle which was down to contamination from Morrisons, This was proved and they coughed up for the replacement.

Down to luck i guess, i dont take any chances and always use premium fuel for my Benz.
Why skimp on fuel "quality" when so many bang on about using Oe parts?

Yeah funnily enough the ASDA was next door to the dealer so thought I might as well. Luckily it was 20£ and the car seemed fine all day and no sign of the light

Used to run Shell V Power both petrol & diesel but most Shell stations around us stopped selling it as it didn't sell.
I'm not really surprised to hear that. There aren't that many vehicles on the road that really benefit from using higher octane (or cetane) fuels, plus Shell charge a very hefty premium for their V-Power products.

I have a choice of either V-Power or Momentum locally and I tend to run Momentum as it's always significantly cheaper than V-Power (and the E63 means that Clubcard points rack up quickly which equals lots of free Eurotunnel crossings :D ).

ASDA's fuel supply contract is with a VERY VERY reputable supplier so no issues there.

Run my Golf GTD on Tesco DERV + Millers (Again Tesco fuel now sourced from a decent supplier) after the previous issues they had. MB runs on Tesco Momentum 99 RON

Used to run Shell V Power both petrol & diesel but most Shell stations around us stopped selling it as it didn't sell. I was reliably informed that the turnover of V power was so slow that the RON rating at the end of the tank virtually matched the regular 95 RON

Can you elaborate on this? I had massive problems with contaminated fuel from tescos around 6 months ago...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom