ASDA home delivery...a warning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

camerafodder

MB Enthusiast
Car
VW Touareg R-line Tech, Toyota IQ2
Interestingly when/if you order stuff from ASDA for home delivery, the price you pay is the price of the goods on the day of delivery NOT necessarily the price advertised when you place your order. I wonder how many people have been caught out by this little trick?

Indeed...a tricky one that.

Usually when buying online you buy at the displayed price. I suppose though this could work the other way, with some prices being reduced on the day of delivery.

Luckily Mrs camerafodder noticed and rejected the goods which had risen from £5 each to £8 each and there were quite a few of them! Very sharp practice in my opinion.

I have used Asda home deliveries a few times myself in the past and nearly always there was a issue, although never with the price. I stopped using them when I ordered 4 bottles of a particular French red wine and they substituted them for 4 bottles of English White wine. I don't drink white wine.

To counter this, you'll pay cheaper for any product with a lower price.

How many of us have received a refund from Amazon because a pre-order went on sale at a lower price than you ordered it at ?

I know I have had a few .....

To counter this, you'll pay cheaper for any product with a lower price.

How many of us have received a refund from Amazon because a pre-order went on sale at a lower price than you ordered it at ?

I know I have had a few .....
To be honest, I just want to pay the price advertised. If it became cheaper on the day I wouldn't argue for a refund on the basis that I was happy with the price I paid.

I suppose though this could work the other way, with some prices being reduced on the day of delivery.

I bet it doest thought.

Its like with the wholesale prices for gas and oil. Their price increase is passed on the forecourts fairly rapidly, yet we don't seem to get the price drop passed onto us as quickly, if at all.

I know supermarket systems are immensely complicated and difficult to tinker with, but we aren't dealing with things priced off the stockmarket or intensely volatile commodities, so the fact that prices shift by that much in a day hints of a stacked deck rather than simply normal re-pricing.

I refuse to shop on-line, even when I couldn't drive I walked to a shop. I like to know the sell by dates, test the fruit (if it breaks a window it's riper than normal) and see if my dazzling charm can persuade the cheese staff to remainder a runny Brie.

I have used Asda home deliveries a few times myself in the past and nearly always there was a issue, although never with the price. I stopped using them when I ordered 4 bottles of a particular French red wine and they substituted them for 4 bottles of English White wine. I don't drink white wine.

You need to tick 'do not substitute' in your account to stop them doing that. That way if there is no stock they will not substitute it

Luckily Mrs camerafodder noticed and rejected the goods which had risen from £5 each to £8 each and there were quite a few of them! Very sharp practice in my opinion.

Clearly stated in their T&Cs for all to read...

3.1 Prices on the website are the prices charged in store on that day. As prices may change on a daily basis, and the website is updated overnight, prices are therefore a guide only. There may be variations by the time We are due to Deliver, or You are due to Collect, Your order. When You shop online You will pay the same price (excluding Our online only promotions) that You would pay if You came to Our Store to do Your shopping on the day of delivery.

3.1 Prices on the website are the prices charged in store on that day. As prices may change on a daily basis, and the website is updated overnight, prices are therefore a guide only. There may be variations by the time We are due to Deliver, or You are due to Collect, Your order. When You shop online You will pay the same price (excluding Our online only promotions) that You would pay if You came to Our Store to do Your shopping on the day of delivery.

Indeed, but I bet a lot of people don't read them. Luckily we did.

I shop from Ocado, if there is a problem with anything i get a refund within 2 days...e.g. too much fat on a sirloin joint refunded £28:p

Quite :----although I can't see how delivery or collection time effects the price that Asda bought the stuff back in February or the profit margin they calculated at the timed point of sale.:rolleyes:

It smacks of what I fondly remember as the Comet "we've just run out of stock of that item Sir" where they advertised stuff they didn't have at a fictitious price just to tempt people into the store

Last edited:

Unreasonable IMO.

If you place an order and they accept that order then the price should be set.

ISTR Argos do the same thing for click and collect. Equally unreasonable. If you make a journey to pick something up at a price then IMO that price should be held until the reservation expires.

Unreasonable IMO.

If you place an order and they accept that order then the price should be set.

ISTR Argos do the same thing for click and collect. Equally unreasonable. If you make a journey to pick something up at a price then IMO that price should be held until the reservation expires.

Read the full T&Cs.

"2.1 Our Website invites You to buy goods from Us. Once You have placed an order on the Website We will send You an order acknowledgement by email setting out what You have ordered with the in-store prices on the day of order. This is not an order confirmation or acceptance from Us. A legally binding contract with You will only arise once We have completed Delivery of the goods to You or You have completed Collection of the goods from Us. At this time You become the owner of the goods. This means that You will have no legal liability in connection with Your order until Delivery or Collection (as applicable) is completed."

You may consider it unreasonable but they are hiding nothing and in effect treat online orders exactly the same as if you went to store and paid at the checkout..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom