Asda to reduce fuel prices by 2p from tomorrow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gazzz

"Every little helps"

In my experience those 5p off offers are a bit of a con - their fuel prices rise by a few pence just before the offer so the true saving is only a pence or two if at all.

Apparently Asda prices are dropping to £115.9 for petrol and £118.9 for diesel, across the UK, which if accurate (press association) is a true saving.

Last edited:
In my experience those 5p off offers are a bit of a con - their fuel prices rise by a few pence just before the offer so the true saving is only a pence or two if at all.

That`s not true,where i fill is always cheaper than anywhere else and that 5p off is just another bonus

ive used tesco super 99RON for years not a problem.

my local asda doesnt do super unleaded so no use to me :(

That`s not true,where i fill is always cheaper than anywhere else and that 5p off is just another bonus

I used a 5p off voucher at Sainsbury's the other day, but I noticed their pre-discount price was 2p dearer than a nearby Shell garage.

Every little helps, I agree :)

But is 2p a litre really worth worrying about? I mean, most of us on here drive cars with 2 or 3, even 5+ litre engines and glug away in them. 2p/L is less than 2% of anyone's fuel bill, which to me wouldn't swap my decision of where I'd buy fuel - especially as there's no Asdas near me either! :eek:

I reckon we'd collectively save more than that ~ 2% saving by pumping our tyres up properly :D

But I guess it's a step in the right direction, or is it just a marketing/advertising ploy, loss-leader etc for Asda.. ;)

Why's that? did I miss something :dk:

The Tesco fuel disaster a few years ago - Silicon or something in their petrol that ruined many peoples lambda sensors and suchlike IIRC.

But is 2p a litre really worth worrying about?

Yes I agree, it's not going to make a material difference to the average car user, but it doesn't hurt. Though of course fuel costs form a significant proportion of the manufacturing and distribution costs of most of the things we buy so fuel costs actually have a bigger influence on us than just car driving.

It is an indicator that some suppliers are at last seeing a downturn in sales due to the recent high prices and acting accordingly .

The silicon or whatever issue could just as easily been a mainstream brand as a supermarket . I buy my fuel wherever it is cheapest locally - Morrisons currently beating the others by a couple of pence hereabouts , but would not go out of my way for a penny or two . My W126 runs just as well on supermarket fuel as Shell , BP and the rest .

The local Tesco megaworlddominationstore used to match the price of the cheapest fuel in the area, but in the last couple of years its price has crept up and is now on a par with the most expensive around (BP by Kempton Park, if you're interested).

Last edited:
Don't some of the supermarket fuels have different makeups - ie, greater levels of Ethanol (watered down!) or less additives (such as detergents etc?)

I don't think any of the major retailers (eg Shell, Esso, BP etc) were affected by the quality issue a few years back, as far as I remember it was only Supermarkets (mainly Tesco).

I usually fill up at Shell because it's the most convenient filling station for me, competively priced and I often choose V-power because I'm happy paying the small premium for the amount of fuel that I buy :cool:

I have used TESCO petrol & diesel for years and never had any problems. I have tried other 'brands' but I couldn't tell the difference and I do lots of miles every year...

lol 2p? its a start

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom