Ashtray Headaches

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

graeme81

Car
Pending
Hi All,
I'm having real problems removing the ashtray from my wife's SLK. I'm looking to remove it so I can empty it rather than removing permanently to fit another panel/facility.
I've searched the forum and Google but all I can find is instructions to remove it by taking off dash panels, radio, etc. Surely I don't have to dismantle half the dash just to empty the ashtray? Anyone know the answer, there are no clips etc that I can see to release it [emoji20]
Cheers everyone.
Graeme
b4e9f050a1476c5487c7ed436560e971.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What year? No handbook?

Surely one doesn't have to partially dismantle the centre console just to empty the ashtray?

Isn't there an insert that simply slides out to be emptied?

Why not just pick any items out of the tray then vacuum and wipe it out if all you want to achieve is to empty it, or is that too simple a solution.

Post a picture of the open ashtray...it's hard to give advice otherwise. Don't overthink it...it has to be idiot proof.

Is there slider with an arrow on it under the lighter? (Can't see yours so not sure of the lay out).

Have you tried just pulling the insert out...from the bottom? Is it really that difficult?

Are you sure it's an ashtray, not just a coin drawer which was an option...in which case there's nothing to remove.

Last edited:
Why not just pick any items out of the tray then vacuum and wipe it out if all you want to achieve is to empty it, or is that too simple a solution.

I think this is going to be the best option. I removed the 2 torque screws and although the ashtray does move a little more now, it still won't come out. It should never be this difficult to empty an ashtray! I think a quick 'manual' clean is the best solution.
Thanks for all the replies

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So, there is no insert in there?

The handbook is quite clear, simply open and reach down each side recess and pull out the insert.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom