Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Another interesting one I've seen come in, is asking about the difference between standard, dimpled and drilled discs....

Easy...one is flat, one is dimpled and one has holes in....:D

we will also have a Q&A with a member of the technical team from Bosch, H&R, EBC, K&N lined up :D

Oooo, I can think of a question for EBC already...

and another for K&N...:D

Although Pagid is exclusive to ECP, we are still a massive stockist of ATE - simply because we supply some large customers who will only buy ATE.

Regarding the missing ATE pads for your car - maybe we have discontinued them due to poor sales? Drop me a PM with the pagid part number, and I can see the ATE equiv, and if we still have it in stock.

If you don't mind, can we keep the questions technical, as Pagid won't be able to answer non-technical questions :)

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me, or post in the Parts forum
:) I think everybody knows that I'll happily answer any question you ask, as long as you arn't having a dig at us :)

Patrick

Patrick

I am certainly not having a dig at anyone - I asked the question since I have bought ATE brake parts from ECP for my various cars over a good many years , I have been a customer almost since you first opened , but now find these parts more difficult to obtain .

I have always used ATE since that was the original equipment on my cars . Only a couple of years ago I went into the Glasgow branch and got ATE discs , pads and sensors for my W126 , all in stock on the day . In the past I have fitted these parts to a range of cars from W115 , W114 , W123 , W116 , W124 , W126 and W201 series , all of which ECP supplied from stock . For earlier cars ( pre-1970 ) I usually have to go to the dealer .

More recently , I went in looking for a set of front pads and sensors , they only had Pagid in stock so I was reasonably happy to take them , knowing that Pagid was another OEM make - unfortunately , my brakes now squeal at times : something that I have never had before with ATE pads ! I have always in the past tried to match discs and pads from the same maker , I know it should perhaps not matter but the above experience bears some credence to the notion .

Having just looked up both W126 and W124 , I see ECP are again listing ATE pads for both vehicles , but not the discs - a couple of months ago these same pads were not showing on the website .

Another item I don't see listed are the ATE power discs ( grooved ) - these used to be listed in the accessories area , and I had bought them from HGlasgow in the past - again ATE still list them on their website - perhaps they are a special order item ?

I don't have a problem with parts having to be ordered in , or that they may cost a little more than the alternatives - I have tended to buy from ECP so that I can get the exact components I want as opposed to the dealer where the contents of the blue and white box can sometimes be a lottery , depending on which supplier MB ordered form that week .

Re Pagid being exclusive to ECP , I presume this is only in the aftermarket since , presumably , as an OEM supplier they still supply parts to Mercedes-Benz ?

I had heard (purely rumour only) that Euro had bought Pagid? Any actual fact in that anyone?

@Derek REgarding your ATE parts, drop me a PM with the part (or reg of the vehcile) and ill confirm if we have stopped that part. As I said, we still stock a huge qty of ATE parts, but if the sales arn't there for a particular part, then we will probably discontinue it, and only stock it in 1 or 2 of our brands.

ATE power discs are also stocked, their disapeerance on the site wouldn't happen to of been aprox 2months ago? If so, that ties in with the date of our new parts lookup system, of which there are currently no 'performance parts' linked. (Good spot!) Again, if you require these, drop me a PM.

On a seperate note times like this prove that working with a forum benifits us! Thumbs Up!

@Matt - Pagid are parts of TMD friction which were recently taken over, although we don't own it, we are the sole distributor in the UK for all Pagid AM parts (Pagid obviously still supply the main dealer factories, and their 'Fast Road range is nothing to do with us)

Cheers for the feedback! :) however let's get some more questions for the Pagid guys here please :)

EDIT...

PS Derek, not meaning you were, or ever have gad a dig at us, I meant, I'm happy to talk to all members on here as long as their questions are geniune like yours and many others. Some members tend to come off asif they are having a dig at us :)

Last edited:
Mr ECP man,

They better be paying you double time for the amount of hours you put into this forum, you certainly stand your ground. :thumb:

I just want some great questions to ask the team at Pagid :)

Dieselman and others have come up with some crackers! :)

Patrick aka Mr ECP :)

OK some questions from me.

On a test car what's the difference in stopping distance between cold and hot brakes?
What's brake fade?

some Q`s

whats the reasoning behind ceramic compound pads (like EBC Reds) and do they actually make a difference (apart from placebo)?

As cars have got faster over the years how have pad materials changed?

Last edited:
Sorry got distracted for a minute there. Here's my technical question/comment . Brake pad composition has changed markedly in recent years with the banning of the use of asbestos fibres. In MB pads these were originally largely replaced with supposedly safer organic derived materials from coconutshell and cashew nuts but in the quest for performance one sees the increase in the use of sintered metal or ceramic composites. http://www.ornl.gov/~webworks/cppr/y2001/rpt/112956.pdf My concern is that a degree of complacency has now arisen about the handling /servicing of brake components since "the asbestos ban" and that the newer high friction materials may equally carcinogenic if inhaled. I would like to see a greater emphasis placed on the safe handling of these materials in the DIY area. Brake manufacturers are in an ideal position to encourage safe practice and I would encourage them to increase their effort in this area.

My concern is that a degree of complacency has now arisen about the handling /servicing of brake components since "the asbestos ban" and that the newer high friction materials may equally carcinogenic if inhaled.

That would be a good question...

Has there been sufficient testing of the newer materials brake pads to ensure they are no longer carcinogenic if inhaled in dust form when working on brakes?

As an aside, the asbestos wasn't carcinogenic, it promoted asbestosis.

More recently , I went in looking for a set of front pads and sensors , they only had Pagid in stock so I was reasonably happy to take them , knowing that Pagid was another OEM make - unfortunately , my brakes now squeal at times : something that I have never had before with ATE pads !

I bought the Pagid pads for mine too, there is no difference between them and the standard MB pads, certainly no squeal. I would look for another reason if yours are noisy.

Russ

As an aside, the asbestos wasn't carcinogenic, it promoted asbestosis.

Well technically asbestosis specifically refers to interstitial fibrosis of the lungs parenchyma caused by exposure to asbestos, asbestosis while not in itself a malignant disease is clearly seen as a pre-cursor or increased risk factor to Mesothelioma.

The International Agency for Research on Cancer has classified some 60 substances and processes as probably or definitely carcinogenic in humans.

These are divided into three main categories --
Agents and groups of agents.
Mixtures.
Exposure circumstances.

Asbestos is one of those listed.

I have a question.

I have Pagid pads in my ML. I have them so I can test their quality etc.

Can you tell me why the pad moved around in the caliper and make a noise when the brake are aplied in D and in R? The MB pads dont make this noise. There is no wear in the caliper either. It is almost like the pads are too small and rattle about.

I have a question.

I have Pagid pads in my ML. I have them so I can test their quality etc.

Can you tell me why the pad moved around in the caliper and make a noise when the brake are aplied in D and in R? The MB pads dont make this noise. There is no wear in the caliper either. It is almost like the pads are too small and rattle about.

Hi Olly,

I'll pass that on - We're looking for more 'generic' questions but i'm sure we can get somebody from Pagid to check those pads.
Can you drop it in an email, along with the part numbers fitted so they can check.

Patrick

Here's one I've wondered for some time- why is pad and shoe friction material always bonded to the metal backing nowadays? Many times I've had to replace pads or shoes due to the bonding failing, rather than actual wear or damage- common on handbrake shoes especially which don't (or shouldn't) wear out.. Rivitted brake components didn't have this problem.

Do pagid, or any other company still supply complete rear brake assemblies, which were ready to fit including fitting kits,adjuster bars and wheel cylinders. We used to fit these often but they now seem to have dissapeared.

Why don't pads come complete with all new pins,clips,bolts and wear indicators as has been mentioned before. Its infuriating fitting a set of new pads, then having to build the car up, pop to the dealers then start all over again... much the same as ordering an exhaust, then having to order a gasket.. you NEED these items to do the job properly, or at least the choice to buy all in a kit.

Last edited:
Nice One Tiff!

I have emailed those in on your behalf!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom