ASR and wheel spin in snow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

philepo

Car
C270 CDI (2004 w203)
My 1999 c200 2.0l petrol 5sp auto is rubbish in snow. It doesn't have wide tyres, its just crap. And in my opinon ASR is great for greasy roundabouts but just doesn't work for slow speed ice/snow situations.

At parking speed the ASR continually locks the spinning wheel, but becasue that is both rear wheels it just stops the car moving. Switch it of and give it some gentle wheel spin and I move forward.

Does anyone else agree?

Also, does anyone else use bags of sand as ballast in the boot? If so does this help?

Cheers, P

No rear wheel drive cars are good in this weather. ASR/ESP etc just make it worse. I had to turn esp off on a W203 yesterday just to get moving... Even then it kept cutting in and stalling progress.

On the 190E the ASD lamp just goes mad but the car still keeps moving nicely.

Yes they are rubbish in snow! keep it on the drive or use it for short journeys only. If you have to use it for longer trips , commuting etc. Then kit it out with some winter tyres they make a massive difference, I also find 60kgs worth of ballast (safely secured) in the boot helps aswell.

My 1999 c200 2.0l petrol 5sp auto is rubbish in snow. It doesn't have wide tyres, its just crap. And in my opinon ASR is great for greasy roundabouts but just doesn't work for slow speed ice/snow situations.

At parking speed the ASR continually locks the spinning wheel, but becasue that is both rear wheels it just stops the car moving. Switch it of and give it some gentle wheel spin and I move forward.

Does anyone else agree?

Also, does anyone else use bags of sand as ballast in the boot? If so does this help?

Cheers, P

Yes we agree. This has been discussed at length over the past few days.

ASR/ESP off and start in second gear.

Does anyone else agree?

Cheers, P

I was comfortably sailing past all the struggling ( going nowhere ) cars on the untreated parts of the road this morning on the way into work :) 183bhp and RWD with appropriate cold weather tyres :)

I was comfortably sailing past all the struggling ( going nowhere ) cars on the untreated parts of the road this morning on the way into work :) 183bhp and RWD with appropriate cold weather tyres :)

<SMUG MODE> engaged...........:D

I may join the smug club if I have to pass any more cars doing 30mph on dual carriageways "just 'cos it's a bit cold"..

No rear wheel drive cars are good in this weather. ASR/ESP etc just make it worse.

I keep on hearing this. WTF then was my W211 so good in snow and ice last year and previously? Or was I hallucinating?

I ended up following a 4WD on an ice rink of a car park on Jan 2 and while it slithered about and moved at an angle my allegedly rubbish W211 flashed its yellow triangle frequently, went where it was steered, and felt very composed.

Car went up slippery hills without much scrabbling. I put that down to the ESP.

I think there is significant variation in how different models + wheel/tyre combinations behave - and the ESP behaviour in later generations.

(Conversely it's quite a shock to take out our R170 - it is rubbish in theese conditions whether the ESP is on or off).

I keep on hearing this. WTF then was my W211 so good in snow and ice last year and previously? Or was I hallucinating?

I ended up following a 4WD on an ice rink of a car park on Jan 2 and while it slithered about and moved at an angle my allegedly rubbish W211 flashed its yellow triangle frequently, went where it was steered, and felt very composed.

There must be something going on! It's quite bizzare reading threads on PistonHeads were some drivers reckon their BMWs are imperious in the current conditions, and others can't even drive them on flat roads.

OK, I know there's technique etc etc, but some people are saying their previous car was fine but the current one is hopeless. What gives?

I had to go out in my car yesterday - backed it off the drive over the crown of the road which had the merest sprinking of snow and the ASR light lit up just from straightening the car up when moving off forwards in C mode with the gentlest touch of throttle (it wouldn't move at idle). It's got good as new Michelin Primacy HPs all round.

Don't blame the cars - praise the drivers that are capable of adapting to the conditions.

W204 C220 CDI Sport vs E91 320d M Sport on the snow on summer tyres. Both have 225/40/18 on the front and 255/35/18 on the back. The mercedes has Michelin pilot sport 3's and the bmw has bridgestone potenza RE050 RFT tyres. Would have been interesting to drive them on the same rubber just to see the difference in the car. Traction control light was like a disco light on them both tho , the cars were really trying.

The mercedes was the more composed car on the snow and easier to drive. The bmw was a lot more tail happy and would easilly let go round corners etc and you really had to watch. The mercedes just seemed to be a little more controlled.

The 320d now has Dunlop Sport M3 M+S RFT 205/55/16 tyres all round and WOW ! different car. Pulls like a train on anything ive thrown at it yet. The grip and cornering is excellent. I didn an emergency stop to test last night on compacted snow and :O jepers did the car stop. Well worth the money. The traction control light has never been on since they have been fitted and the roads are a disgrace! I had more salt on my chips tongiht than the roads have had.

But i know what they mean with the bmw's and traction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom