ASR faulty on my W202 C200 1998

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

c200_impressor

Car
W202 C200 1998
Hi. The ASR on my C200 W202 hasn't worked since I bought the car 5 years ago.

On startup the yellow triangle in the middle of the speedo lights up and goes off as do all other lights. The ASR button on the console has no effect... the 'ASR off' warning light on dash does not light up.

When the wheels spin the yellow ASR triangle does NOT light up and the ASR does NOT kick in to stop the wheel spin.

Have just replaced the ASR ECU and no change to situation as described above.

Totally at a loss as to why the ASR isn't working. NB The ABS system works perfectly.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

bizarrely the BAS is linked to the asr iirc. and the BAS sensor is prone to failure. its on the vacuum diaphragm. get the codes read......

On mine, ASR switch works only on startup, and keeps working only if I keep toggling it. The moment I stop, it never works again.

ASR system itself works on and off. Sometimes it has kicked in, but it did not kick in while I was accelerating on loose gravel while turning the car left and right.

So yes, I'm one of those with 'strange' ASR button. 1999 C230 Kompressor Sport in my case.

"Small" update ... although ASR/BAS lamp is not lit, I hooked up the vehicle to a diagnostic tool (Bosch KTS500). It came up with brake light switch fault. Unfortunately the indy friend didn't have time to let me drive and re-test after we cleared the fault memory (and 7 other codes), but will test again next weekend, and report back.

Put the car on the Bosch KTS 570 (yes, I put in wrong model last time) ... C1200 came up .. brake light switch fault. Will be buying that soon, and I dare say my ASR button will start working fine.

I still wonder why the ASR/BAS light does not come on though when the ASR goes off (when switch stops working). The lamp itself is fine, as it shows up when I switch the ignition.

c200_impressor ... hook up your car to a code reader, or if you want to take a random jab at it .. get the brake light switch :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom