Assistance with airmatic shock purchasing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Upex

Car
2001 s320 cdi w220 & 1998 slk 230 komp r170
Hi all,

This week my w220 cdi 320 (2001 my) took a dive and popped the osf shock. It's been leaking a small amount for a while but its gone for good now. Appear to be original and at 14 years and 150,000 miles, its not too bad eh, but I wonder if anyone can offer any guidance on the below points please?

1) I'm getting 2 different part numbers across different sources - 2203202438 and 2203205113 - will either work, or should I be looking for 1 over the other, ie later number was better?

2) I got 1 grub screw out from the popped shock, but the front is stuck fast (having broke 2 Allen keys and 2 Allen sockets trying). Will try and impact driver and heat/cold if needed after a continued long sock with penetrating lube :)eek:) but wonder if there any other ideas as trying to save the lower arm.

3) is there an easy way, without a run to star mechanic, to check if the pump is working properly? I'm kinda worried that I might have fried it driving with the slow leak etc and would like to repair replace whilst doing the strut replacement if possible, rather than doing that, then seeing how it all works to then have to strip it back to change the pump etc.

4) in terms or buying the shock, any actions/steer/no no's? Hear the arnot rebuilds are worth while, but have also seen others like:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=221835440583&alt=web

From UK, but unsure if this will be one of the cheaper China units just being sold on by UK seller for a profit.

Keen to keep the costs down, as the car worth less than 2k since it was wrote off, and think ill be replacing the nsf shock, potentially pump to, and some suspension parts fairly soon to, so will likely be what the car is worth in these parts! Not to mention need to figure out why the rears raise up overnight (suspect valve block).

Any input would be great, especially around which part number, as at a loss as to which is better etc, although looks to me like both would work.

Many thanks, Upex

Quiet round here eh.

Well, took a punt on the airdominance strut, New for 309 including delivery. Ordered Monday lunch, delivered Tuesday. Looks ok, so will see how I get on and post back after I get that darn grub screw out.

Any tips on the instal?

Assume it can be done without the top ball joint being removed?

And think its best to part lower car and then get airmatic pumped up, rather than dropping to floor then letting it pump up?

Thanks, Upex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom