Assyst Plus question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rayaans

Car
C200
So I had my vehicle serviced at an independent dealer at 60200 miles in June 2019. Its currently on 66800 happened to scroll through assyst plus and its saying service due in 2800 miles.

The intervals in the book are showing 1 year / 15k miles whichever is soonest. However, I cant work out where the 2800 miles came from as that seems to imply a service in 9400 mile intervals?

I do remember quite early on it was giving service A7 due in xxx days but it seems to have switched now to service due in xxx miles

Maybe the service indicator wasn't reset?

Possible but unlikely as it was saying service B1 before the service. And after the service, it said Service A7 due in XXX days until the mileage thing popped up.

My real question is, do I get it serviced according to the assyst plus or just get it done at 75200 or June 2020 whichever I hit first?

If it was mine, I'd stick with the 1yr/15,500 miles, as per the book (although in reality I do interim oil changes but that's just me).

Assyst etc depends on what's been entered when reset, possibly different oil etc.. If just entered details to reset, may well be that the system is completely out of sync with what's actually been done.

Possible but unlikely as it was saying service B1 before the service. And after the service, it said Service A7 due in XXX days until the mileage thing popped up.

My real question is, do I get it serviced according to the assyst plus or just get it done at 75200 or June 2020 whichever I hit first?
I would do it at 75200 or June 2020 whichever comes first and ignore the assyst.

There used to be two options for resetting the service indicator:

One was Long Life oil (I assume that meant the newer 229.5) the other was Standard Oil (the older 229.3).

If you chose the Long Life oil option the mileage to next service was showing at 15,500m, with the Standard oil it was showing 9,400m.

I did notice on my previous W203 that it was showing 9,400m after service, but I thought nothing of it because my annual mileage was very low anyway.

And, when the annual mileage is low, ASSYST gives-up at some point and starts displaying the remaining days to next service, as instead of remaining mileage.

(There was also mentioning on Internet forums that for the Long Life oil option to be selected you needed to use a fleece oil filter instead of a paper element one, but I have never seen this option on EPC).

In short ASSYST will switch to whatever is more likely to occur first.

If your mileage is nearing the service interval mileage, it will show the remaining miles, and if your mileage is low and the service interval mileage is not likely to be reached before the 12 months are out, it will switch to displaying remaining days.

In the OP's case, with 2,800 miles left to next service, it switched to remaining miles.

So I had my vehicle serviced at an independent dealer at 60200 miles in June 2019. Its currently on 66800 happened to scroll through assyst plus and its saying service due in 2800 miles.

The intervals in the book are showing 1 year / 15k miles whichever is soonest. However, I cant work out where the 2800 miles came from as that seems to imply a service in 9400 mile intervals?

I do remember quite early on it was giving service A7 due in xxx days but it seems to have switched now to service due in xxx miles
Sounds like your mechanic selected the standard service interval (9,400 miles) instead of long life service interval (15,500). Unless it’s written down on your receipt, service book or somewhere else, them it may be difficult to determine whether they used oil meeting Mercedes 299.5 specification (long life) or not.

Sounds like your mechanic selected the standard service interval (9,400 miles) instead of long life service interval (15,500). Unless it’s written down on your receipt, service book or somewhere else, them it may be difficult to determine whether they used oil meeting Mercedes 299.5 specification (long life) or not.

Interesting. So the standard services are every 9400 miles then?

I'll give them a call to make sure and also go through the receipts to check if they've put down what oil they used.

Say if it is the long life oil, and they confirm, would there be any issues in resetting the assyst plus myself and just carrying on to 15500 miles? Would it knock off the timings of everything?

Are we all talking about the same thing here?
Since approx 2007, Mercedes changed to 15,500 miles or 12 months servicing. Can you even enter different oil types under this system? I thought that 15,500 or 12 months was fixed and would never alter?
The older Assyst Plus had 10,000 or 13,000 intervals dependent on oil type, but could still go less or more dependent on how the car was used, before counting down the days if mileage was not high enough.
Maybe I've got it wrong though?

This WIS doc may be of interest

Attachments

• Service Information_ Engine oil change.pdf
    23.1 KB · Views: 18
A few more I came across

Attachments

• Notes concerning extension of the oil change interval.pdf
    7.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Remaining distance, function.pdf
    13.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Remaining time, function.pdf
    9.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Service Information bulletin_ Changed maintenance intervals.pdf
    8 KB · Views: 6
..Say if it is the long life oil, and they confirm, would there be any issues in resetting the assyst plus myself and just carrying on to 15500 miles? Would it knock off the timings of everything?

I often wondered about that myself... i.e., if changing the oil type in the instrument cluster menu half-way between services will also reset the service indicator at the same time.

The older Assyst Plus had 10,000 or 13,000...
That's how it was supppsed to be my old 2006 W203, however in reality it never showed the full 10,000 miles after reset, but just over 9,000 miles.

On my W204 it is showing correctly 15,500 miles immediatly after service indicator reset (but then it goes to 'days remaining' after a while because my mileage is low).

I often wondered about that myself... i.e., if changing the oil type in the instrument cluster menu half-way between services will also reset the service indicator at the same time.
I used to reset it myself after every single service Mercedes carried out. It was always set for the lower grade oil when fully synthetic 229.5 was used, so when I got home, I reset it every time. Once I told the sales guy I did this and he got very angry and told me I wasn't allowed to do that. I told him it's my car, I'll do what I like, but on hindsight, I should have told him I was reporting them to trading standards.

I used to reset it myself after every single service Mercedes carried out. It was always set for the lower grade oil when fully synthetic 229.5 was used, so when I got home, I reset it every time. Once I told the sales guy I did this and he got very angry and told me I wasn't allowed to do that. I told him it's my car, I'll do what I like, but on hindsight, I should have told him I was reporting them to trading standards.
1. What remaining mileage did it show after the dealer reset - tge full 10,000?

2. And, after you changed the pil type, did it also reset the service?

Just an update - called up the mechanic who says the oil they put in is 229.5. However they say its not the oil thats the issue but the oil filter. The 15500 mile intervals only apply if a fleece filter is used, whereas a paper one should be changed every 10k miles.

In theory it does make sense. In practice, I worked out my service will be 1 month early as I dont do heavy mileages so its not a massive issue for me.

1. What remaining mileage did it show after the dealer reset - tge full 10,000?

2. And, after you changed the pil type, did it also reset the service?
Yes, 10,000 every time, and it reset to 13,000 but it is recorded as another service I think. The 13,000 miles would stretch to 17,000 miles though which meant a service every 18 - 24 months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom