Assyst Variable Servicing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

msb

I appreciate that there is a great deal of discussion on these forum about variable servicing, but I remain confused, probably because so much as been said about it.I have just had a service B done on my w203. Following guidance from some of the threads I specificaly asked the stealer to ensure that Assyst was set to fully variable servicing, and that they used the higher spec fully synthetic oil. They have used mobil 1, and they assure me that the system is set to fully variable - even says so on the invoice. However, it seems to be counting down from 10k, which to a layman like me suggests something is not right. Is thereanyway I can check what they have programnmed into assyst, or any other evidence that I can use so that I can take up my argument with them to see if they ahve done what they said they have done - and charged me for ! ? Grateful for anyones help!

Which engine in your car, and when was it first registered?

Mine seemed to be simply counting down after the last service at first. Then I started noticing the service interval wasn't in sync the further I drove as it adjusted for the type of driving I was doing.

Final confirmation came when I completed a long trip that was all motorway driving and the service interval had changed from 3,300 miles to 4,700.

HiThanks for your promt reply.My car is a post face lift c180k.I did a motorway journey yesteday, but it did not seem to make a difference, ir still cotung down. But I have a longer one planned for next weekend so I might wait and see until then. But if anyone has any other ideas...Thanks again.

I too have a post face-list W203, but mine is C270CDi.

In my case, it seems to works just as one would hope - I really only use the car for long motorway journey's and it consistently counts down in 100 mile steps for about every 150 miles I travel.

Mine always resets to 13,000 miles, but I've seen other comments that the petrol cars reset to 10K. No idea why that (if true) should be. Interestingly, I messed around with mine before its first service and tried resetting it with various oil types selected (oil type is supposed to be critical to extended intervals). Mine offered choices of standard, 229.3 or 229.5. I was surprised to find that it didn't matter which oil type I selected, it always reset to 13,000. Mind you, it may well count down quicker if anything other than 229.5 is selected.

My 2005 CLK 220CDi has always counted down from 10,000 after services.

I'm fairly certain it has up to now usually completed around 11000 miles before it says service is due in 1000 miles.

Russ

Final confirmation came when I completed a long trip that was all motorway driving and the service interval had changed from 3,300 miles to 4,700.

Maybe you were travelling faster than the speed of light..;)

This has been a huge bone of contention with my A200 CDi Nov 1995.

I have just hit 45'000 miles and due a C service (booked in Monday). Last two were B's, I have never been asked for anything other than an extended service and it always resets to 10'000 grrrrr but I do get a bit more than that.

I have had this out with my dealership and they cannot even come close to explaining what it going on.

They tell me its all about making sure I top up when it asks which is done.

I am at a loss so far with this regime. My only thoughts are going to work I drive 20 miles each way on back roads so it maybe doesn't like this.

Ask to see a print out of the assyst setting screen from the instrument cluster. This can be done with the dealers star diagnosois machine. Normally pre facelift petrol 203's reset to 10,000 miles . It depends on the year code on the data card. eg 805/806 etc

got car back, £327 lighter for C service (including brake fluid change) and states 9300 miles to next B service :(

fingers crossed I get a good bit more.

Asked for a better explanation and the service guy says it is worked out on how much braking you do and a few other factors.

If it has 9300 to next service they probably reset it via the instrument cluster. If you do this is sets it for standard oil. If its done with the star machine in the dealer you can specify the oil type used. If they used fully synthetic (229.5) then you should get about 12000 miles till next service.

If it has 9300 to next service they probably reset it via the instrument cluster. If you do this is sets it for standard oil. If its done with the star machine in the dealer you can specify the oil type used. If they used fully synthetic (229.5) then you should get about 12000 miles till next service.

this warrants a phone call in the morning to clear this up.

Thanks
Mark

When synthetic oil is used, the counter should NOT start at 10000 miles. I'm sure this is something the dealers 'forget' to do properly. I got into my service menu and told the car that the best type of oil was used and it started counting from 17000 miles! Mine is W203 Facelift and I've forgotten how to access the oil menu now.

Can someone (Rory?) please explain in very simple steps how to access this menu (not just reset the service indicator) and change the type of oil the computer thinks is being used. This is what the OP and many others need to do.

the dealer is 100% they selected Full synthetic and it is right to show 9300 and will adjust as I drive.

When synthetic oil is used, the counter should NOT start at 10000 miles. I'm sure this is something the dealers 'forget' to do properly. I got into my service menu and told the car that the best type of oil was used and it started counting from 17000 miles! Mine is W203 Facelift and I've forgotten how to access the oil menu now.

Can someone (Rory?) please explain in very simple steps how to access this menu (not just reset the service indicator) and change the type of oil the computer thinks is being used. This is what the OP and many others need to do.

I know how to do it but in my car C270CDi) it didn't make any difference - it always reset to 13,000 miles. I believe the petrol cars reset to 10K.

Both my W211 E320 CDI and my W164 ML320 CDI have always shown 10k when reset. The E used to need a service about every 15k and the ML seems to manage about 17k between services.

the dealer is 100% they selected Full synthetic and it is right to show 9300 and will adjust as I drive.
Is the car you got serviced a diesel 169 A class ?
If it is then I think your dealer is not correct. If you reset the service indicator with the main dealers star machine and select oil grade 229.5 the you get extended service mileage. I would be asking for the printout from the instrument cluster with the assyst actual values on it as proof . Some garages reset the indicator with the cluster only and it wont always give an option for oil type (dependant on model). This is normally done either for quickness or a star machine is not avalible in the case of non main dealers.

Last edited:
In my experience:

ML (diesel) is always 13,000 and variable

C (petrol) is always 10,000 and fixed

C Class Service Intervals

Interesting thread! My C200K (54 Plate Facelift) was on variable service intervals for the first four services and now appears to be fixed on 10000 miles as the countdown is keeping pace with the mileage increase despite long motorway runs. However, as the car is on Service Plus and hence Mercedes pays, I'm not bothered........at the moment!

Regards,

Ernie

Rory:
I know how to do it but in my car C270CDi) it didn't make any difference - it always reset to 13,000 miles. I believe the petrol cars reset to 10K.

In mine (C230 V6) it varied between 10000 miles, 15000 miles and 17000 miles depending upon which oil type I selected. I've forgotten how to access the menu though. Please put me out of my misery and tell me in simple terms how to do it. ;)

Matt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom