Aston Martin seeks funds to safeguard its future

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
7000 units a year, currently sold at a 20% per unit (£200 million) loss, financed by £1.2 billion in debt, at a time when interest rates are doubling every few months.

How do you start making a small fortune developing new EV’s and SUV’s in this context?

It’s easy. You find someone with a big fortune that they want to transform !

Tech billionaires: step this way. You can’t take it with you, and it’s an amusing tax-efficient vanity application for your wealth.

Commercially Aston Martin isn’t going to work any other way. As usual, as all the previous Aston owners found.

At £200k a unit, a small scale luxury manufacturer needs a large scale vehicle brand, like VW, or more likely, a Sugar Daddy.

Attachments

• 6A812E22-AA32-4D68-98A4-E77856562DB3.jpeg
    6A812E22-AA32-4D68-98A4-E77856562DB3.jpeg
    19 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Such a shame... Iconic British brand.. no doubt soon to be swallowed up by another overseas company.. Even Bond can't save it..

Such a shame... Iconic British brand.. no doubt soon to be swallowed up by another overseas company.. Even Bond can't save it..
Becoming part of Mercedes-Benz Group would be the best outcome.

Don't Mercedes-Benz Group have a substantial interest in Aston Martin - Tobias Moers of Mercedes-AMG was the CEO, now replaced by Amedeo Felisa from Ferrari.

Canadian billionaire Lawrence Stroll & his consortium own 25% of AM so its probably already "swallowed up by" overseas interests.

NJSS

Don't Mercedes-Benz Group have a substantial interest in Aston Martin - Tobias Moers of Mercedes-AMG was the CEO, now replaced by Amedeo Felisa from Ferrari.

Canadian billionaire Lawrence Stroll & his consortium own 25% of AM so its probably already "swallowed up by" overseas interests.

NJSS
When it was first Tobias’s move looked like it might be a strategic placement in readiness for something bigger later, but only time will tell.

Aston Martin has a century old deep rich tradition of going bust and being sold to some rich blokes. It’s happened every decade.

1975 was the first time it got some to Johnny Foreigner millionaires: a transistor mogul and a hotelier. It’s then continued to be sold every decade to another Johnny Foreigner or Johnny Foreigner company.

Next up? My money’s on the richest part of the World - AM’s most important market. South East Asia and China in particular.

2EB4C948-1816-41B0-9FA9-DD946DF1D702.jpeg

Aston Martin and their financial woes were discussed here a couple of years ago and AM’s big plan was that the soon to be released DBX was going to be their saviour.

Said car was release last year (don’t know exactly when) and I’m working in London 6 days a week. I’ve seen a total of………1.

A little birdie told me this …….
Best outcome for AM, or for MB ?

Best outcome for AM, or for MB ?
Both I would say. It’s increasingly difficult for low volume manufacturers to operate at the top end of my the market, and I think Mercedes would respect the identity and heritage of Aston Martin better than most.

Reactions: HB
I think both. A lovely heritage brand under their wings line RR at BMW
A pretty high up AM guy who we know very well let it slip….
An indulgent Sugar Daddy would appeal to AM, it’s staff and shareholders, for sure.

But is AM pretty and fit enough to appeal to MB?

Culturally, they’re a long way apart, but does MB have the appetite or priority to invest in rebuilding Aston?

(With all due respect to Aston, they would need a Rolls Royce style “throw everything out and start again, rather than a Bentley “let’s work with what we’ve got.”)

Given MB’s objectives of rationalising the brand, and electrification, would they prioritise it, even though it’s an upmarket global brand?

MB has studiously avoided a brand portfolio such as BMW (MINI, RR and Motorrad) and VAG (( Aufi, Bentley, Lamborghini, Porsche, SEAT and Skoda)

Wouldn’t a Chinese or Korean owner kind the name more appealing, and be more open to rebuilding the whole thing from scratch, as has happened over at Hethel to Lotus?

Lotus officially opens all-new sports car manufacturing facility at Hethel - Lotus Cars Media Site

F418BC4E-F402-49C6-ADD7-AF1028D56615.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom