Aston Martin.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When a major exec from Mercedes Benz AMG is installed after Mercedes Benz makes an investment into the company, it can mean only one thing, and that is that he will facilitate the sale of Aston Martin to Mercedes Benz.
Yes the early reports yesterday suggested that this was happening in a hurry. Nothing of the sort, this whole sequence of events has been very carefully choreographed and several years in the making.

I like Aston Martin a lot, and their move towards bolder (rather than elegant) styling has done a good job of attracting younger customers - which they really needed to do - but at the risk of upsetting older owners and older fanciers. Many criticised them for the same mould same-old styling, so they can’t do right for doing wrong.

There’s not much wrong with the styling with either the DB11 and Vantage, as their proportions are good, and a facelift could turn them into something closer to the elegant designs we’re used to. It’s a delicate balance though, as take it too far and they will be criticised for coming up with one good design and using it as a cookie cutter.

Under Daimler’s wing it will do alright for the first time in history. The current cars are better engineered already as a result of their involvement.

Yes the early reports yesterday suggested that this was happening in a hurry. Nothing of the sort, this whole sequence of events has been very carefully choreographed and several years in the making.

I like the idea. As someone who owns a couple of higher end 'bespoke' cars and loves to DIY. It's a real chore to do work on these brands. Even trying to get an oil filter is a pain in the rear. Being able to have access to Mercedes Benz part #'s and using Mercedes Benz diagnostic tools will make it 100x more fun.

You did very well as the never dropped below 30p. My prediction is that they wont be able to recover financially even with Stroll and will be eventually saved by MB/AMG

Is it all part of a long term plan to get Lance Stroll a drive in a Mercedes?

I guess Rolls Royce is doing ok under German ownership

Well I would have to guess. RR seem to be mythical beasts post-BMW takeover.

When I was growing up I used to see quite a few new'ish RRs around the local area or when travelling.

I don't recall seeing ever a new'ish RR around anywhere outside London in the last few years.

Well I would have to guess. RR seem to be mythical beasts post-BMW takeover.

When I was growing up I used to see quite a few new'ish RRs around the local area or when travelling.

I don't recall seeing ever a new'ish RR around anywhere outside London in the last few years.
Preston??

Well I would have to guess. RR seem to be mythical beasts post-BMW takeover. When I was growing up I used to see quite a few new'ish RRs around the local area or when travelling. I don't recall seeing ever a new'ish RR around anywhere outside London in the last few years.

I have a theory about that it it's got more to do with reduced taxation at the very highest bracket (at least year in the US). In the 70's and 80's, Limo's were very popular , as were drivers. The marginal tax rate at the time was 70% on income over $200k so it paid to pay someone to drive an expensive car and write it off as an expense. Today the highest tax bracket is 39% at $450k , and it appears that if you give the super wealthy lower taxes. they'd rather drive themselves and keep the money in their pockets.

Reactions: 219
You did very well as the never dropped below 30p. My prediction is that they wont be able to recover financially even with Stroll and will be eventually saved by MB/AMG

14th May intra day it was in the 20s.

Maybe now they can start designing and building cars people actually want to buy ?

I know a little about their 'private clients' department, and often wondered if their mass-manufacturing side of the business wasn't there for the sole purpose of maintaining the brand image and thus supporting the revenues from their 'private clients'.

The only way to have a unique car (and pay funny money for it) is if the same marque also produces tons of 'mundane' (relatively speaking) cars.

Reactions: 219
Ferrari probably would have gone out of business if it was not purchased by Fiat. I don’t think any super car manufacturer is independent apart from AM.

I heard a 69 plate Vantage recently and I was impressed by the sound of it.

Not sure if it was running a standard exhaust though.

I heard a 69 plate Vantage recently and I was impressed by the sound of it.

Not sure if it was running a standard exhaust though.
Unless it was a very late registered previous generation car (unlikely) then that will be a 4.0 AMG engine 👍🏻

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom