Aston Martin.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
True - I was responding to another comment that "AM under Ford had its own bespoke platforms and engines, not used anywhere else in Ford empire"

my mistake, I meant the Vantage, Rapide and DB9/DBS; not the earlier cars

I believe the engine design used in the V8 was based on the same engines used in Jaguar and For (in the Lincoln LS and Thunderbird). I heard that the V12 ASTON engines were basically two Ford V6's joined together.

Ford made some amazing big block engines, but I'm partial to the exotics with the Chrysler Engines
Cars from West Bromwich are now exotic? I was born a short drive from there, that must make me exotic. I must tell my wife, it make me sexier! 😁

I know there was a little Italian flair in there foo 😙

Cars from West Bromwich are now exotic? I was born a short drive from there, that must make me exotic. I must tell my wife, it make me sexier! 😁

I know there was a little Italian flair in there foo 😙

Mate, if you can rent one to take your secretary away for a dirty weekend, it's an exotic. It has pulling power.

1593484000492.png

Wrong thread !

Yep , I always thought the Interceptors were great cars ; and I still see a C-V8 running around near where I live .

I'd love an Interceptor. Very fond of them. A neighbour has a beauty. I remember trying to convince my wife that an Interceptor would be the perfect car to replace my Toyota MR-2 in the run up to the birth of my first born. I failed. I did end up with an Astra Coupe Turbo which was a great car, and rather good as far as compromises go.

Reactions: 219
I'd love an Interceptor. Very fond of them. A neighbour has a beauty. I remember trying to convince my wife that an Interceptor would be the perfect car to replace my Toyota MR-2 in the run up to the birth of my first born. I failed. I did end up with an Astra Coupe Turbo which was a great car, and rather good as far as compromises go.
I think they are amazing cars too , although they had an unenviable reputation for being unreliable.

I recall reading in The Mercedes-Benz-Club Gazzette , many years ago that past club chairman Dr Herbert-Ochs had one which he used to travel between his home in Scotland, and Germany, but eventually replaced it with a 450 SEL 6.9 because of reliability issues .

I suppose both cars were designed for trans European road trips , but only one was reliable enough for regular use .

I recall reading in The Mercedes-Benz-Club Gazzette , many years ago that past club chairman Dr Herbert-Ochs had one which he used to travel between his home in Scotland, and Germany, but eventually replaced it with a 450 SEL 6.9 because of reliability issues .

I suppose both cars were designed for trans European road trips , but only one was reliable enough for regular use .

I suspect that both cars were designed for the American market where there's lots of very straight fast roads. I've never driven my Jensen (just pushed it everywhere). I have owned several 6.9's and still own one now. The 6.9 is a different Animal. Dry sump, hydro suspension. It was pretty high tech for its day. Both had issues keeping cool. I think that this could be addressed today more easily than before with modern electric fans and new radiators. I should really start working on my Jensen instead of buying up all these other cars that I'll never get to restoring. Mechanically, you can get everything to build a 400hp engine off the shelf.

Has Aston been eclipsed by MaClaren in recent years??
Not really the same thing though......Aston make fast GT cars....McLaren (note spelling) make true sports cars. I cant see anyone looking at one would be very interested in the other. The only possible exception being the McLaren GT.....but even that's a bit more edgy than any Aston....IMO.

1698836205432.png

Not really the same thing though......Aston make fast GT cars....McLaren (note spelling) make true sports cars. I cant see anyone looking at one would be very interested in the other. The only possible exception being the McLaren GT.....but even that's a bit more edgy than any Aston....IMO.

View attachment 148865
You’re answering a post of mine from 2 1/2 years ago!

Opps.....never noticed the date as it just popped up on "New posts"!

View attachment 148865
Maybe, maybe not. Most car buyers don’t stay fixed to a single type of car, so choosing between a McLaren and an Aston Martin wouldn’t be too unusual.

Add to the mix that many buyers of McLarens, Aston Martins and other high end marques often own several. I can think of people who own both marques.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom