At last - the Daily Mail are printing something useful

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
They are evidently presently engaged on a big screen remake of Dad’s Army----- can't copy the Mona Lisa sorry. Dad's Army was redolent of its time- many who watched it were in the home guard or their fathers were. The humour and sentiments of the show were of their time not now. The cast made that show making it almost impossible to replicate that 60's vibe. They did a large screen remake of Sergeant Bilko with the talented Steve Martin- it tanked at the box office!
They ignored the fact that Sergeant Bilko WAS Phil Silvers ---- Phil Silvers was Sergeant Bilko. Likewise Arthur Lowe will always be Captain Mainwaring, etc etc .

[YOUTUBE]7b1gTZ6Ycvo[/YOUTUBE]

Couldn't agree with you more Grober. The characters made the humour not the other way round. A very brave decision to do a remake IMHO as it's just about as impossible as you can get to replicate

Colour home movie footage of the actors relaxing during location filming of the series still survives and has been shown quite often on the BBC.

They ignored the fact that Sergeant Bilko WAS Phil Silvers ---- Phil Silvers was Sergeant Bilko. Likewise Arthur Lowe will always be Captain Mainwaring, etc etc .

I agree with you.

I think that the likes of the old Dads Army and Phil Silvers Show still stand on their own merit. Any attempt to remake is basically pointless.

Better to put effort into making sure that the originals are refreshed as best as possible in terms of any image and sound quality processing.

Just wondering........................in what way is that useful?

Well, it is one of their more useful posts to-date... compared to the other rubbish they usually print :D

Last edited:
I agree with you.

I think that the likes of the old Dads Army and Phil Silvers Show still stand on their own merit. Any attempt to remake is basically pointless.

Better to put effort into making sure that the originals are refreshed as best as possible in terms of any image and sound quality processing.

Definitely :thumb:

I happen to think that what they are exposing about the NHS in Wales is also worthy reading. Not much else is though.........

Although I have no love for NHS bureaucrats it does not seem fair to only single them out. The mistakes these whistleblowers revealed were not mistakes of administration they were medical mistakes which were the responsibility of medical personnel not administrators. If the whistleblowers offended any "orthodoxy " or broke some unwritten "vow of silence" I would suggest that primarily involved their medical colleagues not managers. Bureaucrats may well have been deeply implicated in any cover up but I reckon in the main they were "accessories after the fact" not the main instigators of any exclusion campaign .:dk:

Hmm..have a read of these and see if it alters your views.

https://freedomtospeakup.org.uk/

http://chfg.org/wp-content/uploads/...ents-First-to-the-Health-Select-Committee.pdf

The Full 21 Ways To Skin A Whistleblower | Medical Harm

The Life Cycle of the Whistle-blower (summary of PF evidence to Whistle-blowing Commission) « Patients First

http://www.nursingtimes.net/Journal...mission_to_the_Freedom_to_Speak_Up_Review.pdf

Also the movie remakes of "Beverly Hillbillies" and "Dukes of Hazzard"..complete bombs. I have heard that a remake of "Are You Being Served" is being planned.
Can't they come up with anything new??

I know! How about remaking Perrin... and casting Martin Clunes in the role... That'll be a hoot..surely?.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom