At my wits end with my 2017 Sclass. - constant reoccurring headlight condensation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I used it a few times a week on short trips 35 miles or that, then once a month 200 mile trip, ive done 18k miles in the last 22 months.

I cant understand how its only the driver side which is showing the reoccurring fault

I do a lot less mileage than that so it doesn't sound like you aren't using it enough.

I think the driver's side was worse on mine when I did have it after I got it getting on for two years ago now.

Very odd.

I was just about to type the above. This is a recurring issue with the same faulty part which should be under warranty from when it was installed, not the purchase date of the car. Perhaps you can get a new headlight every few month in perpetuity ;)
My understanding is that replacement parts fitted under warranty don’t receive a fresh 2-year warranty applied to them.

The replacements were not purchased, they were a replacement for an item which was purchased and was later found to be faulty.

The warranty applies to the original purchased item, not the subsequent replacements.

My understanding is that replacement parts fitted under warranty don’t receive a fresh 2-year warranty applied to them.

The replacements were not purchased, they were a replacement for an item which was purchased and was later found to be faulty.

The warranty applies to the original purchased item, not the subsequent replacements.
Checked this with Mercedes UK directly and they said it does qualify for the 2 year warranty on the repair done initially inside the 3 year manufacturers warranty.

Funny post appeared on Mercedes Sindelfingen's (home of Sclass production) facebook page today where they showed how they test for water leaks, I posted a few comments direct to them but got the standard response go to MB UK or Ombudsman:

Mercedes-Benz Sindelfingen

Thanks for taking the time to reply here lads.

As ye correctly pointed out its been an issue since the car was 18 months old and any repairs which have been made only last 6 month, then the original issue returns.

I've been recording the sequence of events from the start with photos, I've created a blog site to share with MB... heres the link Mercedes Benz SClass W222 - Headlight Moisture Damage

I've even tried to contact Mercedes Sindelfingen in Germany where the sclass is manufactured but they have just referred me back to MB UK, just this week they told me to attempt one more repair with my MB dealership and if this doesnt work open a case with the Motor Ombudsman, not a road I really want to go down :(

Think ill try again with them hopefully they can resolve it, to be fair the dealership they haven been great to deal with. The issue lies more with Mercedes manufacturing not willing to accept there is a design flaw in the design of the headlight assembly.

Initially I had the issue in both headlights, gel packs were installed in both headlight in March 2019. Since then moisture is only appearing in the driver side so I dont believe its due to environmental issues, or washing otherwise the passenger side would be fogging also.
Get a solicitor and sue the Daimler dealer where the purchase was made.
Meanwhile use dry silicone and wet silicone sealant as the other members have stated here. That is your only solution. This problem is very common, my cousins in Malaysia and Indonesia are troubled with this. Even in India among my friends this is quite a hiccup with the moisture levels. You are not alone.

Checked this with Mercedes UK directly and they said it does qualify for the 2 year warranty on the repair done initially inside the 3 year manufacturers warranty.

Funny post appeared on Mercedes Sindelfingen's (home of Sclass production) facebook page today where they showed how they test for water leaks, I posted a few comments direct to them but got the standard response go to MB UK or Ombudsman:

Mercedes-Benz Sindelfingen
Ombudsman any day, claim for compensation in time lost and trauma of ownership experience. Get articles out on twitter, and find a good motor vehicle specializing solicitor and get a letter out.

Not for petty cases. I've sued the dealership twice.
Headlight condensation isn't a petty case as far as Mercedes would be concerned though.
Can you imagine the number of cases they would have to defend if it got taken to court and they lost? That won't happen.

Headlight condensation isn't a petty case as far as Mercedes would be concerned though.
Can you imagine the number of cases they would have to defend if it got taken to court and they lost? That won't happen.
Case will never see the light in court. The first notice letter will be dealt with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom