ATE Ceramic Pads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Save me starting another thread, did you have any joy @MrGreedy? I am having trouble trying to source ceramic brake pads for the front of my 2012 CLS 350.

It has the AMG sports pack (so the larger drilled discs) and what I believe to be a Brembo caliper). The OEM discs & pads from MB are TRW.
I have purchased discs and normal pads, but have now decided it would be prudent to fit ceramic pads. Managed to source ceramic ones for the rear made by TRW (denoted by DTE at the end of the product code) but cannot find any for the fronts byTRW or other brands. TRW dont have them listed nor do others like ATE.

Is my only option to go EBC/Akebono etc?

AFAIK the same caliper is fitted to other models across the range but don't know which models so I could perhaps cross reference those models and find some that way.

Like @MrGreedy states, ours don't have the lugs/ears on pads.

Anyone shed any light?
I don't think I can get ceramic pads for the calipers I have. I looked a lot, but came to the conclusion it was not an option for my caliper. The only option would be to swap to one of the other caliper styles that also came as options on our cars, as the rest do have ceramic pads available I believe

Are these the same calipers as yours?

765cc754-87b2-4b78-a1e8-e67b52124aef.jpeg

Are these the same calipers as yours?
No, the ones you have listed are, I believe, a Brembo caliper and you might be able to get ceramic pads for those.
When I was researching options, those calipers fit straight on to my E350, and it depended on year.

For the 2009/2010/2011 E350, it was a rubbish single piston sliding caliper with a Mercedes-Benz emblem plate on the front of it.
Emblem plate

The plate had fallen off on one side, which seems really common, but you can only buy a new whole caliper from Merc. TRW make the plate but customer services at TRW deny any knowledge (it has the TRW logo and their part number stamped/cast on the back!).

Abb, would you be really kind and would you be able to post up the part numbers for the caliper, discs and pads, or PM me your VIN so I can get the part numbers and I'll have a mooch round on the internet for the ceramic pads?

Last edited:
Thanks for the infp. Mine is indeed a brembo caliper on the front and a ATE caliper on the rear from everything I have read. The discs and pads number for my set up, all TRW are as follows:

Rear vented 300mm discs DF4270
Rear pads GDB1546 (standard oem) or GDB 1546DTE (ceramic)
Front vented & drilled 344mm discs DF6668S
Front pads GDB 1822 (standard oem)

There is no ceramic option listed for the fronts on the TRW website, same for other brands. I have not fitted any of the purchased parts as of yet, waiting to source a set of ceramic pads for the front. I don't have the part number for the caliper and not in a position to check either at the moment :(

For the 2009/2010/2011 E350, it was a rubbish single piston sliding caliper with a Mercedes-Benz emblem plate on the front of it.
You can get ceramic pads for these.

It would seem the OEM brake pads for the 350 are made by Akebono, as can be seen on this pic. Code NS380H FF A18, both printed and etched into them!

Although made by Akebono, they don't seem to be ceramic? Using the product code NS380H isn't recognised in the Akebono web catalogue.

Brembo version seems to be P50 087N, the N denoting ceramic as they are available without the N.

So this may be useful to members that want ceramic pads for their non AMG vehicle but fitted with the 'AMG sports package' as my 2012 W218 CLS 350 cdi sport. After several emails trying to establish fitment/compatibility for the fronts, I found the following options are available:

Brembo ceramic pads, part number: P50 087N (not available in UK)
Akebono Pads, part number: NS380H, these are MB OEM (as well as TRW OEM) but not known if they are ceramic.
Akebono ceramic pads, part number: EUR 1223 (not available in UK)

All approx $80-$100 plus shipping costs and import duties.

I have opted for the Brembo fronts and TRW rears, mainly because TRW were readily available in the UK and the order was placed for the Brembos prior to having my queries answered from ECS Tuning, Akebono still haven't replied!

Apologies OP for the thread hi jack! ;)

Just following up with some more info on this.
Abb is correct with the pad part numbers for the vehicles with the 'AMG Sports Package'.
In Mercedes confusing wisdom, that means the brakes are 322mm disc, and don't have the Brembo calipers, but the single piston type brakes (Merc parts A2044213581 (left) and A2044213681 (right)) that look like this:

w212 brake caliper.jpg

For the 'non-AMG Sports Package' e.g. a 2013 E350 CDI BlueTEC (registration KN63LJR) has the Brembo front calipers as kindly shown by Abb in post#42
I have been continuing to root around on this, and the applicable Merc part numbers are, I think:
- A2044215398 (left) and A2044215498 (right) 'Brembo' calipers for 344mm discs (now available as Elstock refurbs)
- A0074207520 front pads (replacing obselete parts A0074201020 & A0074202820)
- A0004211512 for the 344mm vented drilled discs

Sorry, I need to add a correction.
The brake pads for the Brembo setup, A0074207520, are replacements for the now obsolete pads A0054201020 & A0064202820

Another follow up.
Akebono EUR 1223 I understand are not suitable replacements for the rectangular pads. They look very similar, but on closer inspection they are not the same.
I put an enquiry in to purchase some of these pads from the US, also listing the Brembo P 50 087 as a pad that fits my calipers (which it does) and it was confirmed to be that EUR 1223 is not interchangeable with Brembo P 50 087.

I have not been able to find via Google any reference to Brembo P 50 087N, which Abb says is a ceramic pad (and I assume the ceramic version of P 50 087).

For those that find themselves here, I created a thread specifically for the w212 E350 to correct some of the incorrect information that I've posted above.
Some of the information will apply to other models e.g. CL218 and w204. I list Mercedes part numbers in the linked thread, so if you know your original Merc part number, you can compare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom