ATF advice need

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ihandyman

Car
w202 c200
Hi Guys
I have a little question !
I want to change the ATF on my w202 c200 via a pneumatic pump witch I use normally for changing the oil !
If there is a room for a dipstick to rich the bottom to check the oil level that means is room for the pneumatic pump long stick to extract the oil or maybe is not as long as the ATF dipstick and obviously requires a longer stick to rich the bottom .

Need advice please ?!

Thanks
Sonny

You will require about 6 litres of Dexron 2 or 3 type fluid for a complete change. UNFORTUNATELY You will not be able to drain the torque converter by this method or to change the internal filter either. All I can suggest is trying a partial drain- check how much fluid you remove and replace it with exactly the same amount via the dipstick. You will not get all the benefits of a complete fluid change -only achieved by dropping the gearbox pan after draining the box and replace the filter plus pan gasket and also draining the the torque converter- separate drain plug accessed only from below the car.

As above, you will only get part of the old ATF out, and you will not be able to replace the filter.

And if you do decide to persist with the pump method - be very weary about possible contamination of the ATF from a dirty pump hose or a dirty pump (some fluid can flow back).

But as BlackC55 said - best bet is do it properly, or give it to someone who will...

Hi Guys
Thanks for your comments and advices !
It sounds like I have to do it the old fashion way :)

Is it anyone that did changed the ATF the way I wanted and how successful has been ?!

Regards
Sonny

Ok
So today I been to MB and bought the service kit for ATF ,
I will try to give a go probably this weekend , the big problem is that I do not have a ramp but I do have a pair of small ramps that I bought them from Halfords last year but they are not that great as they intend to touch the front bumper when I try to clim them!
So if is any one out there that have a good access to some ramps and willing to do the same work together and also putting down to experience You are more then welcome to join and also have a good day of fun !
I do not mind travelling a little bit outside London probably a maximum 100M around or outside London !

Regards
Sonny

Last edited:
Did you get this done? Roll the front wheels onto two house bricks or pieces of wood before you attempt to climb your ramps...as well as the E320, I have to do this for my 300zx which is really low!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom