ATF change

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

exvolvoman

Car
2004 C180k Estate & Volvo V70 T5
Hi guys,

Need some advice please. About to change the atf and filter, will be ordering a kit from MB of Newcastle, 4lt oil, filter & gasket.
Do I need to use new bolts to secure the pan?
They are not supplied in the refill kit, but I've read horror stories here of them seizing in place or snapping off.
Incidentally, MB of Edinburgh do a kit with new bolts, drain plug washer and and 5lt of oil, which would you use?

Many thanks, John

You don't need new bolts if the originals are in good shape.

For the sake of a few quid, change them and the pilot bushing the you know the jobs right.

Did mine about 18 months ago, reused the bolts all fine. Just remember everything needs to be really clean and when you refit the pan be sure to tighten bolts systematically and evenly and to the correct torque.

Kit should come with bolts, mine did.

I think the horror stories are just the usual thing where car forums highlight any and every issue there has ever been. I was looking at my pan and bolts the other day when the undertray was off, and it looked clean and tidy.

Mine was done at 36k, but I'm going to have it done again at 76k, which coincidentally is service time so I might well just give the kit to the indy and pay for an hour's labour.

Presumably this is for the car listed in your profile, in which case it's a 5G box?

The bolts are re-useable (unlike on the 7G boxes). Are you planning to also drain the torque converter? If so you'll likely need more than 4L. Also have you got the dip-stick to check the fluid level?

If you say it's the 5g box I'll take your word 'cos I haven't a clue!!
Was told on here not to drain the TQ and the kit only come with 4 or 5 lts. which presumably isn't enough for a complete drain.
Yes I do have a dipstick, at the moment it's slightly low and smells a bit off, don't know when/if it's ever been changed.
Thanks all for your help...hope the jobs easier that the Aisin Warner box fitted to my last Volvo V70

Draining the TC is a ballache as I think on 5g you can't get to the drain for it so you have to pump out. Yeah if not you won't get a full change but if you want you can do repeated pan drains and fills and you'll get new fluid round that way. You'll need more than 4 litres of course if you do that.

If your dipstick cover is black it's probably not had an oil change, if red then it probably has.

5G just means 5 gears.

5G just means 5 gears.

Silly sod...why didn't I think of that...doh

I changed mine yesterday with just under 8 litres Fuchs Titan 4134. The dealer drained the Torque Converter. I just changed the filter and sump gasket and locking pin. I didn't change the pilot bush nor the bolts as they were fine. Total cost was just under $150.
The car is more responsive and the gear changes are much smoother.
Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom