ATF dipstick

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kerabo

Car
2006 C220 Estate
Hello

Is there a secret to removing the blank plug in the dipstick tube for the ATF.?

I see a red button but no matter what I do it don't unlock.

Thanks

You sure you have the correct tube? I thought the atf cap was black?
Irrespective of the colour the cap is removed by pushing the retaining tab through the cap
This image from a how to thread here
HOW TO: change the automatic gerbox oil and flush on a 722.6 'box
DSCF4931.jpg

Thanks got the reply.

The cap is black but has a red rectangle button in the middle.
The button seems to move but I can't make it unlock

Thanks

ATF fill cap is black, once it has been off you can only use a red lock tab as supplied by the Stealers. Very simple way of telling if the sealed for life box has been looked at.

Thanks got the reply.

The cap is black but has a red rectangle button in the middle.
The button seems to move but I can't make it unlock

Thanks
You will need something like a narrow flat screwdriver, and use it to push the the tab straight down through the black cap. It will fall out the bottom of the cap, and don't worry about it falling into the transmission,,it will fall down the side on to the ground ( or on to the engine shield) but if you place one hand underneath as you are pushing it out, it's possible to catch it, but be careful you don't nip your hand if the screwdriver follow's through. It has already been explained in the above posts what the different colors on the tab's mean, but basically, Black= Original Factory fitted, Red= replacement one's. When getting the dipstick, there are different one's available,,,some longer than others, but the one I got is 1200mm, which hang's way out over the dipstick tube,,,,,this is not a problem, as it's the other end which is where the oil level is measured,,,,,just make sure that the dipstick is long enough!! On the black plastic measuring tip, there is a small "diamond" shape. The reason for this is that it stop's the dipstick from going too far into the sump, and giving incorrect oil level readings .
To correctly check the oil, the temperature must be at 80c. Leave the engine running, put the selector in "P" and insert the dipstick. Remove it and it will show how much fluid is there. And that's it !!!:)

Last edited:
A point to note is that when you've checked or changed your atf, the cap doesn't need a new tab reinstated to keep it on.
So a car with no tab means someones at least bothered...

A point to note is that when you've checked or changed your atf, the cap doesn't need a new tab reinstated to keep it on.
So a car with no tab means someones at least bothered...

Yes, but I would not like that too much if the cap was missing, as it is meant to keep the system sealed, and prevent " foreign bodies" from getting into the transmission. There is even an "O" ring in the cap to provide a seal. But if you don't have a replacement tab, then a suitable self tapping screw will to the job temporarily.

Yes the cap with the o-ring, is a necessity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom