Atkins diet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Koolvin

Administrator
Staff member
Car
W168, W169 & S202
Anyone tried this diet?

I dont mind eating Pork Chops for breakfast and lamb chops for lunch.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!!!!

Step 1) You will feel very ill

Step 2) You will definitely lose lots of weight

Step 3) Repeat from Step 1 !

(Oh, and Dr Atkins himself admitted that he would never try it!!)

I know people who have tried it and it worked for them, they didn't feel hungry and felt great in themselves from loosing weight. It is said the feeling ill is only during the first 14 days whilst you adjust.

I wouldn't try it as I couldn't give up bread, pasta, potatoes etc, and I haven't got time to cook port chops in the morning! I also don't like fish which a lot of his recipes include.

I know of several people who have tried it with great success.

A guy at work is on the Atkin's diet and it seems to work for him...

Having said that, some side effects that I have read about:

1.) Constipation
2.) Bad smelling farts.

I wouldn't go on it though as he (Atkin) classes a lot of fruits as banned food too :crazy: as well as carbohydrates such as potatoes, bread, rice, pasta etc.

*EDIT* Somehow any diet that bans an entire class of food doesn't seem healthy/balanced to me. I think if you want to lose weight then eat a little less of everything (protein, carbohydrate, fat, roughage etc.) and do more exercise.

K. you must burn up a lot of calories by cleaning your car every day.

S.

Last edited:
I have tried it and whilst i did loose a lot of weight quickly i was advised that eating all that meat was not healthy.

I investigating the theory that you should not eat any carbohydrates after 6pm at the moment. Eating late is my worst habit.

It has worked very well for me. The key thing is to read the whole book and understand the principles. The first 2 weeks are very hard work - you have to cut out a lot of "healthy" foods such as fruit. But, you can eat a lot of salad and many vegetables are ok (mushrooms, courgettes etc.). It's not just about eating meat (although that's not a bad thing!). I lost 11lb in 2 weeks and now am easily maintianing my target weight. By the way - you can drink as much spirits (whisky, vodka etc) as you like but you have to cut out the wine and beer. People see it as unbalanced but after the first 2 weeks you can have a perfectly balanced diet on atkins - although you may miss the bread etc a bit.

I would recommend what I did aimed really at lowering my cholestral and to aid my high blood pressure, cut out the Guiness except for a weekend treat, substitute all my normal foods for low fat equivelants which is very easy to do, when buying food look on the box for saturated fat content for example curry flavour pot noodle has less fat content than I think beef flavour. I also use semi skimmed milk and try to eat 2 pieces of fruit a day. I also train twice a week in kickboxing which is fantastic for burning up calories.

My wife goaded me to do on to the Atkins diet as I was getting very lardy...
I have lost over 3 stone and 6 inches from my waist measurement. it has been quite expensive as even after I had my suits altered I couldn't wear them as the trousers were like "clown trousers".

My favourite bit about the diet is that you can still have a good curry (just miss out the rice and naan bread). Although now I am in "maintenance" I can have some naan with my madras as well!

-admittedly I also started going to the gym thrre times a week - which helped...

Have just finished the first two week "Induction Diet" & have lost 11 pounds :bannana: :bannana:

Did feel a bit rough to start with & had a lot of headaches, but have been told this is due to caffeine withdrawl!.

Feel great now & am just about to start the ongoing diet.

Do you guys think you will stay on atkins permanently as they recommend or use it just to reduce weight and then revert to "healthy" eating?

I am tempted to go back on the diet just to reduce an initial amount of weight, but last time i was on it i had a problem with my leg that doctors suspected could have been a blood clot caused by the types of food that you eat on the diet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom