ATS Air Con recharge £37.99 via Groupon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm impressed.

I bought my voucher last night at 10pm. I called my local ATS outfit, 1/2 mile from where I work, at 08:30am and they had a slot for this afternoon. Called in at 1:30pm, to drop the car off - he said he could do it there and then if I wanted to wait. 58 minutes later I am back at work.

With cold air and a citrus scent....

I’m intrigued by this thread. I’ve had cars with a/c since about 2001. I’ve never had a regas nor ever needed one. My 2008 CLK still blows ice cold as did my old 2010 mondeo which I sold last month. All cars before that were bought almost new and run for 7-8 years. Not one has ever needed regassing. Have I just been super lucky?

I’m intrigued by this thread. I’ve had cars with a/c since about 2001. I’ve never had a regas nor ever needed one. My 2008 CLK still blows ice cold as did my old 2010 mondeo which I sold last month. All cars before that were bought almost new and run for 7-8 years. Not one has ever needed regassing. Have I just been super lucky?

I've had more that one regassed. I noticed mine was struggling to cool the cabin when it was 25+ outside and I was trundling around slowly.

Right enough when ATS tested it approx 50% of the refrigerant had escaped over the last 9 years.

Ice cold at idle now, as it should be.

Guys, I don't understand this whole re-gas thing that everyone on UK forums seems to keep talking about. Freon is not a consumable gas. If for whatever reason you ever need to 're gas' your system, it means that you have a leak. It's a sealed system. If your system is not cooling as well as it should. It's probably low on freon which means that it has a leak. Probably from dry o-rings if you decide to drive with the econ button turned on during the winter. Before you go there, clean out with condenser (a toothbrush and some mild degreaser, then hose it down) and replace your cabin filter. If they're caked up with dirt, you're not transferring heat.
Good try there fella. I had the same thoughts on the sealed system thing. I posted it up here and sure enough somebody explained it for me.

Good try there fella. I had the same thoughts on the sealed system thing. I posted it up here and sure enough somebody explained it for me.
LOL! would you care to explain it to the rest of us? We want your pearls of wisdom :)

LOL! would you care to explain it to the rest of us? We want your pearls of wisdom :)
The answer was pretty much what Jay said. I asked my Dad who was a top notch A/C designer and engineer and his answer was again, much the same as Jays.

Got mine booked in for regas and antibacterial clean on Monday... (along with a new tyre so my rears match)

The answer was pretty much what Jay said. I asked my Dad who was a top notch A/C designer and engineer and his answer was again, much the same as Jays.

The thing is, the more the system is used, the longer it lasts without needing attention. In warmer climates, the system is used every day... so the essential lubricant keeps the seals nice and fresh.

In the UK we turn the A/C on for 2-3 months of the year.

Its better now that most cars have it on as standard....

The thing is, the more the system is used, the longer it lasts without needing attention. In warmer climates, the system is used every day... so the essential lubricant keeps the seals nice and fresh.

In the UK we turn the A/C on for 2-3 months of the year.

I have never turned the A/C off in a car whatever the weather, the dehumidifying properties are just as useful as the cooling :)

Last edited:
I have never turned the A/C off in a car whatever the weather, the dehumidifying properties are just as useful as the cooling :)
We run ours all of the time. It is what it is. A/C. Air Conditioning. Conditioned air. Air that is conditioned. Simples.

Same here, the only times I turn AC off are when I'm doing diagnostics or reprogramming ECUs in the car.

Good point that people who don't always use it may have issues with seals over time.

Years ago a friend of mine was giving us a lift to the pub and was whinging about his car misting up in winter, the look on his face when I turned on the AC and it sorted it out in seconds was as though he'd just seen real magic for the first time :D

Currently waiting for mine to be done now. It was already cold enough but getting rid of the annoying hiss and horrible musty smell when you turn the AC off is worth £45 to me!

Hope it all goes okay. As far as I'm aware this deal runs out at the end of the month, by the way.

Have had two weekends away in a row and it's a revelation being able to stick the AC in Auto mode on the Disperse setting and let it maintain a constant 17 or 18 degrees.

Before, when it got too hot, I had to knock it in to manual mode and have it blowing a gale to try to cool the car down properly.

Happy days.

Had my Subaru in on Saturday only to be told i have a leak in the system so the machine would not allow the re-gas process to continue so i had the fee returned into my Groupon account.

The Scooby will now need to go in and the source of the leak found then i can make a call as whether it is justifiable to repair it or just leave it.

K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom