Attempted Stolen Star!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supacool1

Car
C250TD-T
Some tosser in the last few days tried to steal my bonnet Star! In the process it kinda fell off after my partner was reversing. I noticed it straight away when I got home from work! What sort of world do we live in?!?! :wallbash:

Off to egay I go to find a replacement. Do I get a like for like replacement or do I upgrade to a flat coupe one?

Some tosser in the last few days tried to steal my bonnet Star! In the process it kinda fell off after my partner was reversing. I noticed it straight away when I got home from work! What sort of world do we live in?!?! :wallbash:

Off to egay I go to find a replacement. Do I get a like for like replacement or do I upgrade to a flat coupe one?

You're less likely to get a flat bonnet badge stolen.

Thing is, it's not always theives.
Sometimes kids just see the shiney star sitting proud and think "ooo, something to grab while I walk past!"

Which can also result in damage to the bonnet itself.

Hope you get her back to normal soon.

:thumb:

They aren't expensive from dealers before you go bidding on one on Ebay .

I got quoted just under 30 buck-a-roo's for a replacement star. I've just ordered a flat emblem from the might flebay.

Jeff, you is a crazy ass mofo! :bannana:

Thing is, it's not always theives.
Sometimes kids just see the shiney star sitting proud and think "ooo, something to grab while I walk past!"

Unless they intend giving it back later, you'll find that probably makes them thieves.

Unless they intend giving it back later, you'll find that probably makes them thieves.

What I'm saying is, they are sometimes pulled off, even by kids that don't want it! :wallbash:

They just pull on it because it's there, in front of them.

Either way, just get a bonnet badge.

I'd expect everyone who has a star on their bonnet to, at some point, suspect that it maybe targeted by someone.

So do what most people do and swap the star for a badge.

That way, you'll probably find your car is more likely to be left alone.

Or park somewhere safer.

I enquired about removing my star (does it have a proper name?) and replacing it with a flat one for about £30. The thing is that the flat ones don't necessarily fit in the holes left by the star emblems; at least that's what i've been told by MB.

My star on my E500 was nicked, probably would have replaced it if I hadn't sold the car.

I was polishing my W124's star recently and an elderly German who was walking by said he had his nicked regularly in South America in the fifties. Plus ca change.

I would never bother with a flat badge.

I enquired about removing my star (does it have a proper name?) and replacing it with a flat one for about £30. The thing is that the flat ones don't necessarily fit in the holes left by the star emblems; at least that's what i've been told by MB.

Hey bud.

That may be the case, I'm not sure if the bonnet badges are the same fit for different models.

I changed my star for a badge on my old CLK (208).
I just ordered one through a guy at Mercedes and it fit no problem.

I know it's £20-£30, but you may well be ok.

Hopefully someone here can offer some more info.

:thumb:

I bought a cheapie replacement from oohbay.
- It's all corroded now though after just 6 months.
Wish I'd bought genuine.
Not the worst mistake I ever made though I don't suppose.

I read somewhere that company in the US was making bonnet stars with razor sharpened edges, so any scumbag that tried to nick it would end up with bleeding cut fingers!

Cant remember what they were called but having had similar problems in the past with vandalism, I have thought about some form of "deterrent" for my own cars.

Until then I'll have to stick with sitting on my porch in my rocking chair with a shotgun and bottle of tequilla......

Only kidding! :)

Correlation between school holidays and petty crime? I scared the bejesus out of a cycle thief I happened to catch the other day. Short-sharp-shock seems to do keep such things under control where I live.

One option would be to install a mini CCTV camera in the car which points at the star. A friend who is a cyclist wears one on his cycling helmet. The mini camera can be removed when you're using the car and reinstalled when you're not. Probably cost as much as a new star but would do a great deal towards the prevention of such nonsense.

Lost my bonnet star recently - Found it bent and ruined in next door's garden.
Fortunately no damage to car.
Replaced it quite cheaply from Euro Car Parts.

One option would be to install a mini CCTV camera in the car which points at the star.

Probably find you'd then need to mount a sign advising passers by that you were filming them on CCTV to avoid being done for infringing their human rights and rights to privacy :wallbash:

Your Stolen Star.

I've been in your predicament - twice.
For me there's only one solution - buy another one (a NEW one) and fit it yourself - it's easy.
If it gets nicked again, buy another one.

Second-hand ones can be rubbish as the innards do rust and become weak (spring and ball rust).

You just have to accept it - they'll always be a target and you DO need to have a star on your bonnet. That's part of the reason you bought a Merc.

Never, ever, fit a coupe plate instead of a star !!!

somebody nicked/broke mine when i first got my W124..very annoying indeed but they are cheap and easy to fit.

I read somewhere that company in the US was making bonnet stars with razor sharpened edges, so any scumbag that tried to nick it would end up with bleeding cut fingers!

Cant remember what they were called but having had similar problems in the past with vandalism, I have thought about some form of "deterrent" for my own cars.

Until then I'll have to stick with sitting on my porch in my rocking chair with a shotgun and bottle of tequilla......

Only kidding! :)
I'm sure the do gooders in this country would have us prosecuted if we fitted one of thoseto our cars:mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom