Attempted Theft of my car - Need Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks a million to you all for all the needed info. I had gone to the police station yesterday in manchester to register my report. They told me that I was 15 mins late and their forensic dept closes at 2pm on sundays :-(

Anyways, they told me that there wouldnt be much finger prints becoz I had opened the door and switched on the car. Which I did. Well for the time being I have stored it in my friends garage for secure parking.

I had a word with Mercedes Stockport and Mercedes Ashton, Spoke to an Assistant of Mr. Mike Brookes at Mercedes Ashton Old road and explained them my scenario of scene and also spoke to them about the 30year rust gaurantee or the Goodwill offer, If it would be revoked if I go to someone else and they say. Well your gaurantee doesnt exist because its only on cars up to 8 years old and we are terribly sorry but your car is in its 9th year. meaning it was a 2000 model. And listening to them im gutted that even after having every MB official service stamp and spending thousands, MB says that the rust gaurantee is only on cars up to 8 years of life.

Anyways This morning I received a call from a garage called Road and Race Restoration Limited in Bolton. They say that MORETHAN has instructed them to start work on my car and they are MB approved garage. I have put them on hold but personally I would go with MB direct for works. What do you guys think about the whole scene.

1- Mb says no Rust proff gaurantee, either you come to us or not.
2- Morethan says if you do work with our garage its lifetime warranty, plus we give you courtesy car, etc.
3- I have spoken to this ROAD AND RACE RESTORATION LTD company and they say we are mercedes approved body shop, we use original mercedes parts and you will have a lifetime warranty with all the work done. The body work will be patch to patch as what it is with MB and so would the color be.

What are your views on this, what should I do. Thanks guys

What are your views on this, what should I do. Thanks guys

See if you can see a sample of their work and if up to scratch proceed.
As long as they are MB approved you have the same warrantee as a dealer bodyshop and them being approved by your insurance company takes all the hassle out of it for you, I'd say it strengthens your position if there are any issues.

Sorry to hear about yor car i know what it like the forensic people looked at mine a couple of years ago as there were cd's all over the car and work passes which are clear laminated, was told that anything slighty textured was a waste of time they got a few dabs but never heard anything.
As for the insurance you say the MB rust warranty is void even after all the main dealer servicing, the insurance company say use the approved garage which say they do quality work maybe go there and look at some of the work and make up your mind.
Have had a few repairs done and the quality varies even had a Honda repaired at the main dealer and an awful job.
They say they use genuine MB parts and a lifetime warrany perhaps try a quote from MB, as i say have seen a lot of repairs done by my fleet company some fair some awful probally done to a price as a fleet car.
Regrds Mark

Whilst its true the goodwill scheme underwhich many MB cars have been repaired due to rust is over 8 years that is totally seperate to the 30 yr mobilolife warranty which covers rust penetration from inside a panel out

Hi,

sorry for your troubles - whatever option you follow, make sure that the promises are put down in writing. It's very easy for a workshop rep to smile and nod and say "oh yes, lifetime warranty, absolutely..." but it means nothing until written down explicitly.

To quote the King of Swamp Castle from Monthy Python and the Holy Grail - "in a very real and legally binding sense..."

Cheers,
Eddie.

Thats really crap , sorry to see that.

Recently i had my side window put in with a similar attempt by a moron to nick stuff from the car. Luckilly my window wasnt laminated and just smashed allowing them in.

Id often wondered what would happen if they couldnt get in and the picture of your door confirms what i suspected would happen should i had gone ahead and get that supaglass installed in the car.

Really sorry for your damage , make sure its done by MB , its a complex car.

It looks like you need a lot more than glass.. the whole door is damaged, you really should get a new one under insurance.

Thanks guys. Im just thinking on my options. Cant make up my mind as my wife and brother says, If the insurance is saying to go to Mercedes approved garage with lifetime warranty and if they are going to use original merc parts then it shouldnt be a problem. for me im stuck in head to go to MB direct but at the end of the day just confused what to do.

Looks like kids or did you leave a bunch of £50 notes on the drivers seat !!!

Joking aside my house was broken into several times when I lived in Brighton by hard drug users looking for things to sell for a few quid for their next fix.

Nowadays they will do anything to bust your car open to pinch a couple of pound coins from the ashtray.

Unless they have the keys they aren't going to be able to move the car or joyride with it.

Feel for your buddy, hope you get it all sorted.

Was Road and Race not the name of the MB dealership in Liverpool before all the re-organisation ?

Only thing missing from their accreditations on their website is VBRA membership .

Thanks to everyone once again. Update time: As 'Ringway' had suggested me to check with Mr. Mike (bodyshop Supervisor) from MB Ashton - Manchester, I finally arranged to get an appoitment and quote for the repairs. Mb has quoted me £2701 for all the repair works. (Morethan is going to have a heartattack).
Well while talking to him I mentioned about Road and Race Restoration LTD and He told me that they were MB approved and would do the same work as MB and it would have no effect with the warranty or whatsoever. But If i go to Mb this time, they will work up on an potential rust works in the future thats a promise from the Man himself.
I was thinking to myself, If Morethan would agree on this cost of repair or would they salvage the car and payout for it. I think they have a policy of salvaging the car if the repair cost is 60% of the market value. What do you guys reckon, its a 2000 Model S320 - 86000 Miles Car.

I've seen 2000 S class cars on autotrader for £3500-£4000!

If they write your car off and you decide to go ahead, PM me.

guys if they writeoff, then what options should I seek. should I buy back the car and get the work done myself or what.
Thanks

Road and Race restorations are very good from my experience. Have had two lots of non insurance work done both to a very high standard (and I'm picky!). Steve is the man to speak to and when you go down there you will see they are no back street repair shop but a proper outfit.

If More Than have instructed them I would just go with them and see what happens about the car being potentially written off.

I thought all Mercedes had very long or lifetime anti corrosion warranties if repairs were carried out by a Mercedes bodyshop. I am not sure why your car doesn't qualify unless it's had paint from non mercedes bodyshops.

This issue of mercedes approved Bodyshop or mercedes dealer is non existent. None of the dealers have their own bodyshop it's contracted out. You would drop off and pick up at the dealership but your car would go to a Mercedes approved bodyshop exactly like Road and Race if not Road and Race themselves. I have personally seen this myself.

Chaps good news, MB Manchester just called me to say that Morethan has approved the work and work will start shortly ----- YIPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :D

Thanks to Ringway - Mikes working on the car. Cheers mate

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom