Attempted Theft of my car - Need Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dj_factor

Hello chaps, Some lowlife tried to break into the car last night. Me and my wife went to my brothers house to see his new born baby and stayed there for the night. When we planned to leave for home at 11am morning, I saw that some SON **************** had smashed the window with a possible screwdriver, smashed the door sill, tried to break inn, opened the door somehow, tried to break the igntion with the screwdriver, slashed the seat.

Damn there was no alarm sound, i dont know why or how, but i have just been heart broken because of this. Now I spoke to my insurance, Morethan and also informed the police. Now Morethan says, I can get the glass from Autoglass and get the car repaired with Quality something something garage in stockport - (Manchester),. they are going to charge me the excess of £350 and my premium is going to go up. When I spoke to them about going to mercedes garage, they said it would cost them more and they will increase my premium more if i go to someone else other than their authorized garage. And I wont get benefits like courtesy car or life time warranty on repairs.

What should I do, should I pitch for mercedes garage or for their own selected garage. Can someone please tell me any good mercedes Offcial body garage in manchester and how long will it take to do the repair works.

Please help me with any info/suggestion I would need, first time this bl***y thing happened and has come as a shock.

109.jpg

110.jpg

111.jpg

113.jpg

115.jpg

116.jpg

117.jpg

119.jpg

122.jpg

123.jpg

124.jpg

126.jpg

127.jpg

128.jpg

129.jpg

131.jpg

Not sure they can do most of what they say. Any MB dealership is likely to give you a car for the duration of the work. If you still have corrosion warrenty cover, MB approved workshop is the road to do down. In my experience insureres will do all that they can to persuade you to use their bargain basement contractors, but I can' t see how they could increase your premium before renewal. Because you have a claim, an increase is then inevitable.

So basically my insurance premium shouldnt increase until my next renewal. Morethan told me I can choose Mercedes but then they will first send their engineer, who will come in 4-5 working days, then they will arrange for the car to be taken then mercedes will do their work and blah blah blah. Sounds like a million years story to me. They told me if you go to our garage we will give you courtesy car, if its mercedes you wont get a car.

first and foremost, they all have call centres in India, it takes 10 times to repeat and explain them what you need them to know or understand. Im just messed in this mess

Must have been a complete pratt as surely even the dumbest thief knows modern cars have a transponder in the key so no key equals no go full stop.

Looks like thay had a hard job breaking into the car, i always thought they used an automatic centre punch in the corner of the window to shatter it.

Go with mb garage and when renewal due change insurer.

Lynall

So basically my insurance premium shouldnt increase until my next renewal. Morethan told me I can choose Mercedes but then they will first send their engineer, who will come in 4-5 working days, then they will arrange for the car to be taken then mercedes will do their work and blah blah blah. Sounds like a million years story to me. They told me if you go to our garage we will give you courtesy car, if its mercedes you wont get a car.

first and foremost, they all have call centres in India, it takes 10 times to repeat and explain them what you need them to know or understand. Im just messed in this mess

They always say that. They make their contractors provide courtesy cars. The assessor delay is probably realistic - when my partner reversed our Espace into the garage, had similar thing. Had to get quote, then assessor argued it down a bit. Renault gave me a loan car.

My familys experience of the insurance nominated garages is fairly poor - they have to do the numbers to make the money.

you can take it where you want for repair, its YOUR car, not theirs, unless they specify in the contract they will only use their own repairers of course, i'd be having a close look at the small print.

Sorry to see such a mess.

You can and SHOULD take it to MB in Manchester.
The guy to speak to there is called Mike. Tel: 0161 276 9600.

The are excellent. I am the fussiest of customers when it comes to bodywork and if they are good enough for me, they are good enough for anyone. (My 7 year old Sprinter van would put a lot of cars to shame) ;)

I used to deal with a crack bodyshop outfit near Manchester Airport called Males & Co who were brilliant. However, the airport bought the land where they had their site and I don't think they are trading as a bodyshop these days.. Shame, because they were superb.

I used to take my vehicles to Males (insured by MORETHAN) and nothing was said because I insisted that it was my car, I paid for the insurance and I'll tell you where it will be repaired to MY standards.

MORETHAN never objected to this.

Best of luck, and If you catch the vandal, give him one from me;)

Last edited:
Christ, this just seems like it's a given if you have an MB!!
Sorry to hear this.

From my personal experience.... don't be fooled into thinking that MB aproved paintshops are any good.
I could of done a better job myself with a rubber mallet and an aerosol - blindfolded!!
It's always nice if they can choose to paint in the 'correct' paint code too,:rolleyes:
That's the last time I play the "i"ve got a merc and I'm entitled to get it repaired by an MB dealer' card!

Good luck with your repair. And I hope If you find the G!T who did it, you have 'more' than one witness!!

Sorry, did I get carried away there? Rant over.

Jay.

Wow, that thief sure had a tough time trying to get your car. Was the side window laminated or something? Normally they just shatter. :confused:

Insist on an official Mercedes repair as its the only way to retain your warranty. The insurance company is just trying to save itself some pennies - normal practice in this age.

Insist on an official Mercedes repair as its the only way to retain your warranty. The insurance company is just trying to save itself some pennies - normal practice in this age.[/quote]

Correct.
If you use a MB bodyshop (which is different from a MB approved bodyshop IMHO) and there is a rust or other related or non-related issue in the future you will have a concrete case for remedial works free of charge.

If you use a non MB dealer bodyshop (may even be MB approved) and problems arise on collection or in the future MB can say "we didn't do the work, so it's not our problem - quite right too IMO.

MB bodyshops such as the Manchester one which is on the site that sells and services the cars will have seen it ALL before.

A non MB repairer will be unfamiliar with certain parts and how they fit etc and although they will give it their best shot it just won't be as good as the MB dealer repairer. That could result in rattles, squeaks, leaks.....

Another point IIRC from a previous post, is that the MB dealers are matching the indys rates for servicing in the Manchester area at present.
It may well be the same for body repairs. If that is the case MORETHAN should be cheered by this.

At the end of the day, it's your car and your shout who fixes it.

I wouldn't use anyone except MB Manchester though.

Last edited:
Take it to MB in Manchester. It is YOUR choice, not theirs.

Your premium cant and wont go up until your renewal date, and even then you can shop for insurance to find a cheaper quote.

You should be able to authorise the repairs and ask the garage to keep the damaged parts and along with the photographs that should be enough to satisfy the insurers engineer. Talk to the UK office and see what they say.

Wow, that thief sure had a tough time trying to get your car. Was the side window laminated or something? Normally they just shatter. :confused:

Insist on an official Mercedes repair as its the only way to retain your warranty. The insurance company is just trying to save itself some pennies - normal practice in this age.

Looks like a W220 so will have double glazing, or as you say a type of laminated glass.

I'd be surprised if a windscreen company had this in stock.

First check your insurance policy documents carefully. Normally you can nominate who repairs your car especially if body warranty is involved. Then with the postal contact address you should have in your documents write to them using recorded delivery telling them how you wish to get the car repaired in line with the policy conditions. Ask for a response in writing. In terms of your policy you may find there is a clause that states in the event of a large claim they may wish to end the existing agreement and you then have to start a entirely new ( and possibly more expensive) new policy right away. You are of course free to go to another insurance company for cover at this point. Alternatively you may find you have to pay an extra loading on your existing policy right away. You may not get away with paying more till your next renewal date. Really depends on the size of claim and the insurance company's policy.

p.s. I'm sorry to see your car has been subjected to such terrible damage

Last edited:
Yup, double-glazed. A "very bad person" tried to steal my two rear monitors a while ago, but the glass only cracked, leaving a spider-web effect and he/she couldn't get any further.
I too was annoyed that I didn't hear an alarm-silly isn't it.

I decided to ask mercedes how much the glass will be, £350 parts!

I don't understand how the vandal gained access into your car, if the glass cracked, and didn't break.

Have the police dusted the car for fingerprints?
I somehow doubt it as you havent mentioned it.
I would have thought they should.
I would suspect the numpty (or numpties) that did this had an extremely low IQ level and could very well have covered your car in prints.

Thats going to cost a fortune to put right! Besides glass, doors, trim and door handle (with matching key) you have the seat and dash board and igintion to get sorted. I feel sorry for you what a pain.

Thats going to cost a fortune to put right! Besides glass, doors, trim and door handle (with matching key) you have the seat and dash board and igintion to get sorted. I feel sorry for you what a pain.

It is indeed and i would insist on MB if poss going to save a whole lot of time when it comes to the job , they certainly wanted to get in , seemed very determined i wouldve have thought most people would have given up when the glass didnt break

Scum , they need their hands cutting off

alot of effort by someone who obviously didnt know what they were doing!

I would insist on your own garage, your premium will go up the same weather you use the morethan garage or your own! it just counts as a claim whoever you use!

as said above, the MB bodyshops are not that good, so go for a reccomended one someone has used before!

sorry to see this.

best to take to a mercedes dealer IMO.

change insurer at next renewal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom