Attempted theft of the SEC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KLP 92

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes S600, SL600, C250TD
I was working on the car quite late last night fixing the misfire problem. By the time i finished it was close to midnight so i didn't bother putting the car in the garage, as i wanted to take it back up first thing in the morning.

At 3am i heard a noise outside, i'm normally a heavy sleeper and my room is at the other end of the house. I looked out the window to find a flatbed trailer van parked outside and 2 people under the hood of the car! I switched the lights on, ran downstairs but by the time i got out of the house they were back in their van. I did run back inside and grabbed the keys for S Class and pursued. By the time i got to the end of the road i couldn't tell whether they went left or right, so i went left but didn't find them.

Luckily they haven't damaged anything, they forced the driver's side window down to gain entry. The window is broken, but the regulator is damaged. They have removed the alarm siren, ignition barrel and cut through some wiring near the battery. There is a very small scuff on the leather on the driver's seat.

Police weren't in the slightest interested. They haven't sent anyone round to inspect the car!

I've spent the entire morning fixing the wiring and regulator. I have the car fully functional again, but its just headache i don't need. I'll need a new regulator, the old one clunks when i open close the window, and i'll need a new ignition lock. Will be driving with a screwdriver instead of a key!!

Well the car's back in my garage with a car blocking it in, so chance of it going anywhere.

Unbeliveable! Hope it's fixed ASAP.

Presumably you're going to beef up your security now? I'm not sure what I'd do to be honest!

I was working on the car quite late last night fixing the misfire problem. By the time i finished it was close to midnight so i didn't bother putting the car in the garage, as i wanted to take it back up first thing in the morning.

At 3am i heard a noise outside, i'm normally a heavy sleeper and my room is at the other end of the house. I looked out the window to find a flatbed trailer van parked outside and 2 people under the hood of the car! I switched the lights on, ran downstairs but by the time i got out of the house they were back in their van. I did run back inside and grabbed the keys for S Class and pursued. By the time i got to the end of the road i couldn't tell whether they went left or right, so i went left but didn't find them.

Luckily they haven't damaged anything, they forced the driver's side window down to gain entry. The window is broken, but the regulator is damaged. They have removed the alarm siren, ignition barrel and cut through some wiring near the battery. There is a very small scuff on the leather on the driver's seat.

Police weren't in the slightest interested. They haven't sent anyone round to inspect the car!

I've spent the entire morning fixing the wiring and regulator. I have the car fully functional again, but its just headache i don't need. I'll need a new regulator, the old one clunks when i open close the window, and i'll need a new ignition lock. Will be driving with a screwdriver instead of a key!!

Well the car's back in my garage with a car blocking it in, so chance of it going anywhere.

:eek: :eek:

Human debris :mad: :mad:

I'm utterly gobsmacked - the bare-faced cheek. Gutted for ya chuck. Hope you get it all sorted and soon.

Unbeliveable! Hope it's fixed ASAP.

Presumably you're going to beef up your security now? I'm not sure what I'd do to be honest!

The car its self has a Thatcham 1 alarm, and Thatcham 2 immobiiser.

These chaps are pro, i can see from the wiring what they tried to do. I reckon if i didn't disturb them, they would have rolled the car off the drive and onto the trailer. They removed the ignition barrell to take out the steering lock.

The good bit is that they left the stereo completely untouched. I have £5k worth of installation in the car, i even had the face on the stereo.

I live in a very nice neighbourhood, the car's are sometime left open overnight and nothing is ever taken.

Wow Nav.
As if you haven't had enough with this car, then just as you're getting on top of it this happens.

You need to be really careful now with that car, it's on someones list.

Good luck..

EDIT.

Maybe a wheelclamp might be needed as well as all your other bits.

Last edited:
Clearly not your average joyriders. Good job you stopped them.
The car has to be worth more to you than any insurance payout.
I feel for you.

The good bit is that they left the stereo completely untouched. I have £5k worth of installation in the car, i even had the face on the stereo.

I live in a very nice neighbourhood, the car's are sometime left open overnight and nothing is ever taken.

I guess people like that go looking for cars in neighbourhoods like yours hoping someone has left the car out for the night...:(

car parked in front of the garage sounds like the best idea. How about bollards or a denver boot for the car?

Sorry to hear about your car.

Same thing happended to a friend of mine and it was a filed attempt, but this was going back about 6 months.

The theifs made some stupid key all filed up and damaged the ignition lock and door lock.

Because the battery was flat, thats why they failed.

for my friend, it was not the cost but the pain caused by it.

Also I'm advised the the window reg may be the same as a W123 coupe, if thats of any help.

Always park the car on full steering lock facing an awkward direction.

That way they either have to start the engine or will find it hard work straightening up to push it away.

It all buys time..and makes noise.

I guess people like that go looking for cars in neighbourhoods like yours hoping someone has left the car out for the night...:(

More likely saw it out for a drive or have seen it before, just follow it home then.

don't want to be alarmist but they have been watching you, waiting for an opportunity. might they come round again?

That makes me sick.

I mean, you work hard, get a nice car, make it yours then people try to steal it.

How about electrocution needles pointing through the perforations in the seat bolster?

Isnt there an alarm which fills the cabin with smoke?

Bollards are a good idea methinks.

I feel for you mate.

Stolen to order?

Seems an unlikely target otherwise, it's not like SECs export well, or even break that well for parts (compared with later stuff)...

don't want to be alarmist but they have been watching you, waiting for an opportunity. might they come round again?

The thought has crossed my mind on may occasions this morning! To be honest its the first time that the car was in the drive overnight. The only other time it was outside, i made sure it was blocked in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom