Attention Assist: System inoperative

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DBLogic

Hi

Had a new W166 for a month now and had my first longish journey this weekend (approx 250 miles mainly motorway). Noticed that when checking the Attention Assist screen it showed "Attention Assist: System Inoperative" :(

When I checked it again this morning without the engine running I could set it to either Off, Standard or Sensitive but as soon as I pressed the brake pedal to start the engine the above message came up again.

Does this indicate a fault or is this somehow "normal" ?

Many thanks
Dave

Sounds like one of the sensors that Attention Assist monitors is misbehaving. Was Attention Assist the only feature that was inoperative? Could have been the brake pedal sensor but then you would see other warnings too. The diagnosis tool would tell the exact issue.

I believe that's the only fault yes.

I thought it wasn't "normal" so thanks for confirming. I'll ring the dealer now and get it booked in for a check now that I know it's not just me not doing something correctly ;-)

Thanks
Dave

I wouldn't worry too much, I've only ever tripped mine once, a week or two ago.

I wouldn't worry too much, I've only ever tripped mine once, a week or two ago.

If it does it's job, tripping it once may be all you need !

Hi

Had a new W166 for a month now and had my first longish journey this weekend (approx 250 miles mainly motorway). Noticed that when checking the Attention Assist screen it showed "Attention Assist: System Inoperative" :(

When I checked it again this morning without the engine running I could set it to either Off, Standard or Sensitive but as soon as I pressed the brake pedal to start the engine the above message came up again.

Does this indicate a fault or is this somehow "normal" ?

Many thanks
Dave

Did you get anywhere with this?
My wife's W166 does the same.

All now sorted :thumb:

It went into the dealers yesterday and it turned out to have the wrong firmware installed on that controller! The clue was the fact that I had options when trying to enable the Attention Assist of "Off", "Standard" and "Sensitive". They reflashed the firmware and now just have the correct "Press OK to Activate / De-Activate" and no "System Inoperative".

Don't know if it is actually working of course until when / if it trips ;)

Can't understand why the wrong software was on there - does any one recognise the "Sensitive" option from another model / country perhaps ?

Thanks everyone for the help

Merry Christmas
Dave

Sounds like a factory build issue, and there may be more people with same ...

Edit (got confused between attention assist and lane keeping assist), My ML and A have only 'off' or 'on.

All now sorted :thumb:

It went into the dealers yesterday and it turned out to have the wrong firmware installed on that controller! The clue was the fact that I had options when trying to enable the Attention Assist of "Off", "Standard" and "Sensitive". They reflashed the firmware and now just have the correct "Press OK to Activate / De-Activate" and no "System Inoperative".

Don't know if it is actually working of course until when / if it trips ;)

Can't understand why the wrong software was on there - does any one recognise the "Sensitive" option from another model / country perhaps ?

Thanks everyone for the help

Merry Christmas
Dave

Thanks for this.
Sounds as if ours has the same issue.

I've also noticed that the onboard user manual doesn't work on ours. I've loaded the CD and it all seems to install ok. But when you go to run the manual, you simply get a white screen asking to select language......but the screen is blank with nothing to actually select.

So it will have to go to the Dealer for this and the attention assist.
Thanks for updating with yours.

Merry Christmas.
shr

I've also noticed that the onboard user manual doesn't work on ours. I've loaded the CD and it all seems to install ok. But when you go to run the manual, you simply get a white screen asking to select language......but the screen is blank with nothing to actually select.

That's odd as mine did exactly the same! I tried re-installing (using the CD that was in the document pack) but the same happened, but then noticed there was another cd unopened had been put in the glove box. It had identical part numbers but when installing/installed it gave a lot more language options including English. Works fine now.

Perhaps you had 2 disks as well ?

Cheers
Dave

We've definitely only got the one disc.
It hasn't been a major problem though as all user manuals are available on the MB website.

Still, its not right so I'll get it booked into the local stealer to get both items looked at.
Presumably there was no charge for your firmware update as you're under warranty?

Sorry only just seen your reply - didn't get an email update reminder!

Yes it was all done under warranty with no charge.

Not sure why I had the 2 disks or why one didn't work as they had identical part numbers - Can't believe a faulty batch as the installation part worked fine just didn't give the list of languages when trying to run it. Could be incorrectly labeled batch of disks though.

Hopefully you'll now have it sorted.

Cheers
Dave

Hi Dave,
I've not taken mine in yet. Will get booked in now that all the xmas/new year stuff has been dealt with.

Before I get it booked in, just wanted to ask one other thing:
Does your car have highbeam assist?

According to the online manual (MB website version) you activate it via the cluster menu. But the option is not there on our car.
The car has the intelligent lights feature, so I'm assuming that would include highbeam assist?

Does yours have it?

OK so just had a quick look at seems I don't have high beam assist. I assumed (that will teach me) that as the car has the Intelligent Light system, it would incorporate the high beam assist.
But going by the build-a-benz feature on MB's website, it seems high beam assist is a tick box all on it's own.

Thats right. I thought the same at first. the 2014 model range (as per the price list upto and including July 14) had HBA as part for the ILS. ILS itself was at that time though not standard on all models.

The Sept 14 price list (covering the 2015 MY cars) shows ILS as standard but HBA as extra at £105. The wording in the brochures was subtly changed as well. I quizzed MB about this and it seems it was so they could price / "tick box" match the competition.

I did ask if being only £105 it was likely to be a software only "enable" (and so could be retro fitted by the dealer) but was told it's factory only - but this could just be the dealers not really knowing / not really interested. The only think I wasn't sure of was if the HBA camera / sensor was fitted to our cars as part of the speed camera / lighting sensor - which I still haven't found out about. Any one else know ?

Cheers
Dave

Hmmm good point. At only £105 as a tick box option, it does seem like it could be a simple software enable routine via STAR. Although if it is, it would expect it to need SCN so only Dealer or top end Indy could do it?

Perhaps Richard might know?

Has your car got speed limit assist (reads speed limit signs and displays them on cluster and map) or lane assist (buzzy steering wheel if you go over the lines in the road)?

Cheers

Richard

Mine has the speed limit assist. (I believe this is standard.)
It doesn't have the lane keeping assist. I think that forms part of the driver assistance package which we don't have.

There are 2 camera versions, one does HBA, and one does HBA+SLA+LKA (excuse the TLAs).

Thus if you have SLA or LKA, HBA can be enabled via various coding measures (and possibly some firmware updates).

I.e speak to comand.co.uk

Cheers
Richard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom