Attractive options / features - getting the car ready for sale

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GLK

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
I decided to sell my A200 and am debating whether to add to an already extensive list of options and features some, which I don't consider useful, but others might find desirable ... like DAB for example - I never ever listen to the radio, so never fitted one. Would that be something people look for in their new to them car?

What else might be helpful in getting a smooth sale?
Please resist the temptation to say "V8" :p

Similar question regarding existing bits:

Shall I include a set of an MB alloys with Michelin winter tyres (both bought brand new before last winter), or would that be wasted on a 169 buyer?

What about GPS tracker, HUD, Apple CarPlay, extra OBD ports, etc - I'm perfectly happy to leave all these in, as long as that helps the sale, rather than scare off a potential buyer :D

Spare parts, filters, trim, etc - chuck it all in?

Personalised reg - leave on the car or replace it with a standard reg?

Just to make it clear why I'm asking for the advice - I'm not after squeezing every last possible cent out of this deal, just want a fair price, and most importantly a quick, uncomplicated sale ...

This. The average buyer for a 10+ year old A class probably isn't going to be interested in the majority of the things you mention, they just want a good condition car with sound provenance at best price. Any non-standard bits are more likely to be viewed with suspicion than benefit.

As Teego and Doodle said.

Reactions: GLK
Thanks chaps!
Yup, that's what I suspected, hence the question ...

I shall 'streamline' the upgraded bits, though it won't be possible to go back completely to the factory spec.
Luckily, full MB service history and low mileage will help :)

I think 'most' buyers, especially 2nd hand cars, haven't got a clue what they're looking at or after, and as an example, a Merc with Pano roof, HK sound system, brand new premium brand tyres and spotless alloys would be valued by most at the same price as a base spec with Wingwong ditchfinder pro tyres and alloys kerbed to high heaven.

It's also really common via internet 'general public' advertising sites to get a load of 'buyers' just contacting you to ask you 'what's your best price' regardless of what you put it on for. I have sold 2 cars in the past few years that were very competitively priced (i.e. right at the bottom end of what other cars were advertised for including private sale), and most people who contacted me were looking for it to be cheaper and 'it was too expensive'.

I guess it depends what you definition of 'smooth sale' is.

If you want the smoothest of sales, take the car, stripped of all the removable extras including floor mats which often just get chucked in the bin by mega dealers, to We Buy Any Car, and accept what they give you. No comeback from disgruntled customers. Then list the bits (especially the wheels) on here in the first instance as individual items, and see who wants to buy whatever you have, collection only.

My personal view is, in order of approach with a mind on balance between good price and ease of sale:
1. List on here with the spec to high heaven. We are car nuts and want the Merc detail. Good photos. Split the extras out if you want better price, or chuck it all in for the new buyer. You can price fairly I would suggest.
2. Advertise on Autotrader competitively, with no extras, and be prepared to encounter at least some fools. You will probably get a better price than WBAC, but it will be more hassle. You should draw up you own sale contract. Don't let people test drive thenselves unless you have proof of insurance and driver's licence. Advertise the extras on here separately, and see who wants them. Offer them for free to forum members if you really want them gone ASAP, because they probably won't affect the Autotrader price you get, although if you get someone contact you via Autotrader who is also a car nut, you can mention them and see if a deal can be done on top of the car price. Failing that, you can take them to the tip. You will have lost nothing and it will be relatively hassle free/smooth.

I am of the opposite opinion.

I would list every extra the car has to make it appear to be better value than a lesser specced car.

Just don't expect it to be worth more!

Personally I wouldn't entertain a car that had been modified for performance but your mods seem to be beneficial.

I think I’d leave it all as it is and advertise it David. They are tasteful modifications to a high standard, not the typical unofficial AMG badge fitting that most do... ;)

Thanks again chaps. Appreciate the advice and nice comments.
I'm getting a door ding and bottom seal rust spots sorted shortly by a trusted bodyshop, then will get some photos and full spec put on here as a starting point.
It's going to be a long post, listing all the mods and upgrades ... :)

I decided to sell my A200 and am debating whether to add to an already extensive list of options and features some, which I don't consider useful, but others might find desirable ... like DAB for example - I never ever listen to the radio, so never fitted one. Would that be something people look for in their new to them car?

Wouldn't think so, I wouldn't go out of my way and start spending money on a car I'm selling by adding various options.
Rarely does an owner recover the cost for all the mods. they do.

Shall I include a set of an MB alloys with Michelin winter tyres (both bought brand new before last winter), or would that be wasted on a 169 buyer?

List them separate, here, ebay, etc.
Have a sales price in mind and for the sale of the car you can always ask the new buyer (after concluding a sale) for first refusal. Most folks don't bother with winter wheels, in my case I simply don't use some of the cars over the bad months.

What about GPS tracker, HUD, Apple CarPlay, extra OBD ports, etc - I'm perfectly happy to leave all these in, as long as that helps the sale, rather than scare off a potential buyer :D

Easy to remove and worth £100s each in easy resale I'd remove, otherwise I'd leave them as is.

Spare parts, filters, trim, etc - chuck it all in?

Certainly, these shouldn't be worth that much and will show you have looked after car.

Personalised reg - leave on the car or replace it with a standard reg?

If it's worth anything at all (not financial, sentiment) to yourself take it off now, very easy to do online.
One thing that bugs me is folks advertising a car with a private plate with a note they are taking it off.

Just to make it clear why I'm asking for the advice - I'm not after squeezing every last possible cent out of this deal, just want a fair price, and most importantly a quick, uncomplicated sale ...

I'd check what others are selling for, try freakbook or gumtree advertised at the lower end and give it a couple of weeks, after that I'd be off to one of the car wholesale buyers.

Just to clarify my previous recommendation. When I said 2. advertise on Autotrader with no extras, I meant don't include the bits that are removable mods as per pmcgsmurf's comment. Do list a fairly comprehensive spec. Every time I've sold a car on Autotrader, they are pretty good at giving you tick or drop down options to add pretty much everything, and then a few mods can be put in manually. However, I still stand by comment that for 2nd hand, and particularly 10 year old 2nd hand, the likelihood of encountering chancers is high.

Good luck.

Thanks all, great advice, appreciate it - I'll get the little things sorted, and advertise it here in the first instance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom