Audemars Piguet Watch....Real or Fake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A210AMG

MB Enthusiast
Hello

Bit if a story behind this, my dad while on his bike in his Cheshire lanes (near Knutsford) he finds a watch. Recognising this is an expensive watch he hands it in at the local Police station.

Police station keeps it for a while and no one claims it, Dad is given the watch.

He has taken it to two jewellers and neither have determined if real or not?? One of then getting it under a mini magnifying glass. Now to me if it’s a fake and it’s 'that' good then surely that’s a bit worrying if you have a real one.

Anyway he has given it me while I am watch less as my own watch broke, I'm using it and quite like it. The face is hard to picture but it’s almost carbon fibre like chequered. If it’s real however it’s like wearing quite a nice merc on my wrist??

I've googled it and its a Royal Oak Limited edition but also there are lots of fakes so...

I guess its a fake but you never know...

DSCF8409.jpg

DSCF8413.jpg

DSCF8408.jpg

An interesting one. Having also had a good look on google images there would seem to me to be a few differences. All the ones I have looked at with the three sub dials are slightly different. They have differing numerals on the dials whereas your top and bottom dials are the same. The numerals that have portions missing are different on yours to the images I have seen.
However what do I know! Will probably turn out to be a bespoke one!

Hard to tell with AP. Not enough knowledge about.
I traded in my Rolex Datejust for a Royal Oak a few years ago from a reputable dealer. I had traded with him before and I trusted him. When the Royal Oak got to me I immediately had suspicions. The hex screws were gold and the watch was all steel. I went onto Timezone website and seeked expert advice. General opinion was that if it had gold screws on a steel model it's a fake. I contacted The dealer and we reversed the deal. I'm so glad I got my Rolex back except he gave me back a tatty old outer box when the one I originally sent him was mint. That was a close shave and I have never dealt with the guy again.

Errrrrrr.... prices of these watches are phenomenal :eek: (hope it's a real one) :thumb:

^ I know that's why I think it must be a copy?

However if the Jewellers cannot tell that my dad took it to? is seems odd. If it's 'that' good a fake...makes you wonder why buy a real one?

I need to get the back off it as someone said, not sure how though?

Near Knutsford it's as likely to be real as fake, I'd have thought

Nick Froome

My gut feeling is it's a fake, albeit a believable one.

The AP is not nearly as fine as it is on the dial of a 'real one' and two of the chronograph dials are the same

Compare with

005-8656-Audemars-Piguet-Royal-Oak-Offshore-26020ST.00.D001IN.01.A.jpg

The only true way is to send it to AP for a service. If its a genuine one they may have the registered owner (fear not, the watch is yours), they will service it, this will give you proof solid that the watch is genuine, handy if and when you wish to sell it. If its a fake they will keep it and destroy it. You will find out one way or the other.
fakes are getting harder to spot even by those in the know. There are Rolex and others that have genuine movements in a solid gold fake case, this puts the cost up to more than double the price paid for the base metal genuine watch. Or you could just wear it for what it is.

Numerals are also thinner on the watch than on the 'real' one.

If it's anything like the tans in Knutsford it can't be real..

The more I look at some Real ones I've googled its the numbers that are smaller that may give it away?

Unless this is an older model so for what ever reason different?

Mrs A210 thinks it looks horrible... I said that I quite like it, athough if its real its as good as sold !! I don't like it that much...

:)

The detail on it doesnt look as fine as the real thing. Its very convincing, but looking at the dial, numerals, case and graphics, the quality isn't there. Bloody good copy if its a fake though - worth more than £50 I'd say! :)

Yours has the cyclopse on top of the glass and the real ones under.

How many beats per second does it have? (have a listen)

That one is 18ct white gold and a Grand Complication.

The complication is the number of operations the watch can perform and a grand complication must have several of these as well as the automatic movement.

They are extremely difficult to design and engineer and are really made for collectors more as works of art than anything else. The rare and unusual ones will appreciate in value.

It's like a £12,000 bottle of wine or old Master painting. You're basically paying for exclusivity, there are enough people with enough money to support the industry so it continues to make more and more expensive watches.

In car analogy terms it's like comparing an E200K Estate to an E63AMG Estate. They both do exactly the same job why would you pay for the AMG? Answer - you can and it's a little more exclusive.

Want to be very exclusive? Take the AMG to Brabus build a Rocket and part with £500K - watches are no different.

Yours has the cyclopse on top of the glass and the real ones under.

How many beats per second does it have? (have a listen)

Is this the bit that coves the date as it does go inside the glass rather than raised. Its possibly the angle I have taken the picture?

Not sure what beats per second do I hear that?

Thanks

I don't want to worry you, but have you checked it's still there - it looks like it's about to be stolen by Raffles in photo 3 :eek:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom