Audi’s by the thousands

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I liked that but didn't mean Clarkson. Mind he did punch Piers Moron Morgan once so cannot be all bad!

Jeremy who? Did he used to be on TV once...?

part of the problem is new taxes , and stigma around diesel cars but also on cars with a list price of more than 40k. suddenly such cars will now cost 1.5k more. it is annoying to say the least.
Then toxic smoke spewing VAG cars that cant meet emission standards don't help either. the number of Porsche, Audi RS models that cant currently be built to order are quite significant. Even the sale of the BMW M3 had to be shelved quite a while ago.

In either case , cars need to be in stock and I cant imagine a hugely significant proportion of folks build cars to their spec. instead , the bulk of people buy new cars sitting at a dealership somewhere. Two of the last 3 new cars I bought were pre reg cars that were just about to be registered and were allocated to be demo cars at dealerships. The fact that I could buy them within a couple of weeks and could get a great big discount was a compelling reason.

It may be that manufacturers are also heavily over stocked due to slowing sales isnt ideal either

So, the 'new' car one has just purchased because it is available in a couple of weeks, may well have been sat in a field for many, many months?

May be controversial but glad so many Auds parked up. Anecdotally but does see more Audis tailgating me a**e than other models these days...apart from whatever the collective noun is for hot head driven hatchbacks! Maybe a FOOL of.....
Do you really think that when I am in my Audi I drive like an idiot but when in my Mercedes I drive like a saint? :wallbash:

Do you really think that when I am in my Audi I drive like an idiot but when in my Mercedes I drive like a saint? :wallbash:

:) Not every Audi driver...just seems on avge more than other brands for last few years. Maybe fact you have the Merc keeps you on straight and narrow :) If not maybe revert to type :)

So, the 'new' car one has just purchased because it is available in a couple of weeks, may well have been sat in a field for many, many months?
not really, the last two I bought , the first was still on the boat ( which I then decided on because my car was stuck on the production line with no new eta). I didn't want to wait 2 weeks for the first car but there was no car on the dealer network that had the desired spec I was after.

Same with the second car, I wanted 4 door smart brabus in blue, but they had none with that colour and premium pack etc anywhere in the dealer network. so I had to instead get a red brabus sport and that one too had only just docked and hadn't got through customs and was not registered yet.

if a dealer is selling you a car from anywhere , you will have the information re when the car was first registered in the UK etc. so if a car has been sitting in one of these overflow parking areas then based on the registration date , it may give you an idea. Depends on the vehicle manufacturer and their dealer networks etc. In my case , i was dealing with the fleet sales team at merc guildford.

Last edited:
....Then toxic smoke spewing VAG cars that can't meet emission standards...
When tested as per the regulations, VAG cars do/did meet the prevailing emissions standards. There is/was nothing in the regulations to specify what the on-road emissions should be or how they should be measured.

When tested as per the regulations, VAG cars do/did meet the prevailing emissions standards. There is/was nothing in the regulations to specify what the on-road emissions should be or how they should be measured.

I don't think so, not in the US anyway, here's a piece taken from Wiki,............. In January 2017, Volkswagen pleaded guilty to criminal charges and signed an agreed Statement of Facts, which drew on the results of an investigation Volkswagen had itself commissioned from US lawyers Jones Day. The statement set out how engineers had developed the defeat devices, because diesel models could not pass US emissions tests without them, and deliberately sought to conceal their use

not anymore they don't under WLTP regs , many RS models dont met regs and only cars already registered in the UK prior to the move to WLTP can be sold until the cars are modified to meet the regs. So for many months you couldn't configure a new audi RS3 for example and could only buy one already registered and in stock. you can't even configure a new s4 , let alone rs4 at the moment.

The golf GTI for example had to shed 10hp to meet regs before new stock could be imported into the UK.
new c63 had to have particulate filters installed etc etc

I never knew.
I just heard on the news that Ford are closing their engine plant in South Wales. Could this be because (if they are anything like Audi) they are a actually building too many cars in the first place?
No, engine plants tend to exist in their own entity even when within the parent company that might be having a hard time. Engines are small and global, Honda in Swindon (closing in 111000 cars time = one year) has an engine plant and even when the rest of the factory is on a 4 day week the engine department often works 24/7 because the engines are shipped worldwide. The new 'Dragon' engine that was supposed to save Ford Bridgend is also being built in two other (cheaper) countries. Ford shutting Bridgend is a money saving exercise, the engine will still be built.

I thought one reason for the Bridgend closure was because the demand for the engines built there was falling.

I thought one reason for the Bridgend closure was because the demand for the engines built there was falling.

I think the demand for ALL engines will be falling soon. I should have bought shares in an electric motor manufacturer.

not anymore they don't under WLTP regs , many RS models dont met regs and only cars already registered in the UK prior to the move to WLTP can be sold until the cars are modified to meet the regs. So for many months you couldn't configure a new audi RS3 for example and could only buy one already registered and in stock. you can't even configure a new s4 , let alone rs4 at the moment.

The golf GTI for example had to shed 10hp to meet regs before new stock could be imported into the UK.
new c63 had to have particulate filters installed etc etc
Expecting cars designed and built to one set of regulations to without modification pass a different set of regulations that have a more severe test cycle, is somewhat naive.

As for what happened in the US; whatever it's was that VAG were doing (and any others that are or were doing the same thing) is deplorable. That was then, hopefully this is now and their strategy has changed.

I think the demand for ALL engines will be falling soon. I should have bought shares in an electric motor manufacturer.
There's not enough resources to replace all iCE applications with electric motors.

If a dealer is selling you a car from anywhere , you will have the information re when the car was first registered in the UK etc. so if a car has been sitting in one of these overflow parking areas then based on the registration date , it may give you an idea. Depends on the vehicle manufacturer and their dealer networks etc. In my case , i was dealing with the fleet sales team at merc guildford.
There's plenty unregistered cars stored at different places. The best way to check when it was manufactured, is by VIN number. You put VIN on a website that gives spec and it usually gives you the date as well.

As I sad earlier, my current Audi sat 9 months between production and collection. Not even in the field but at two dealerships. But previous one was made to order and came straight from factory.

I never knew.
I just heard on the news that Ford are closing their engine plant in South Wales. Could this be because (if they are anything like Audi) they are a actually building too many cars in the first place?
All the engines they make are for export only to all their car factories most components are imported to make the engines and isn't viable as well as losing the contract to make Jag engines

My C250 was built in August 2017 and first registered on 28th March 2018. Sytners had about 20-30 C220/C250 4matic p/plus cars , all pre registered with delivery miles . No idea where it had been for 8 months , might well have been holidaying in Alconbury , but with 50 miles on the clock and £13k off list I wasn't too bothered.

My C250 was built in August 2017 and first registered on 28th March 2018. Sytners had about 20-30 C220/C250 4matic p/plus cars , all pre registered with delivery miles . No idea where it had been for 8 months , might well have been holidaying in Alconbury , but with 50 miles on the clock and £13k off list I wasn't too bothered.

As was my SLC300, built April 2016, registered March 2017. Bought with 107 miles on the clock at a £15,000 discount on new price.

Exactly the same with mine (registered on 27th March 2018 but built in September 2017). I also got it from a Sytner Dealer (Sunderland) two weeks after it had been registered and got roughly about the same knocked off list. Speaking to the salesman I normally deal with I believe this was a particular sales campaign to get rid of older cars held in stock, I had to take delivery of the car within three days which was part of the condition of sale. Due to work commitments I actually picked it up the next day, the quickest I've ever taken delivery of a new car. A month or two later my parents also bought a C Class 4 Matic under the same sales campaign their car also has an identical registration date to mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom