Audi A6 2.0 TDI

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ivandraganov

Hi everyone,I've been looking to buy 2005 Audi A6 as their seem to be some nice bargain out there..After some Googling,discovered that almost every car suffering from balancer shaft issue.The car I liked has amber oil can warning.What are your thoughts,shall I forget about buying Audi,or there is some cheap fix to the problem,any advice much appreciated...

Last edited:
I made a mistake myself and two years ago went to Audi and found out that there is a reason for A6 to be a bargain. Probably the worst and most unreliable car I've ever owned. In one year of ownership It had gearbox, aircon, and steering problems. Engine oil consumption was measured in mpg's.
My honest advise is to avoid Audi.

I made a mistake myself and two years ago went to Audi and found out that there is a reason for A6 to be a bargain. Probably the worst and most unreliable car I've ever owned. In one year of ownership It had gearbox, aircon, and steering problems. Engine oil consumption was measured in mpg's.
My honest advise is to avoid Audi.

Bad experience?

We have an A6 2.0 TDi in the family and apart from a service and brakes it has wanted for nothing in the 18 months so far

This (along with the associated oil pump failure issue) affects nearly all VAG vehicles with this vintage of the 2.0TDI engine.

Strangely it applies only to fore/aft versions of the engine and not the transverse versions. If you visit the Skoda forums there is no end of in9formation about this common problem. Many Superbs had engines wrecked (fore/aft) but zero Octavias (transverse).

Ran a Audi A8 V8 for 4 years apart from routine servicing never spent a penny on it uber reliable. I would never buy another diesel car again ever

bob6600 said:
Bad experience? We have an A6 2.0 TDi in the family and apart from a service and brakes it has wanted for nothing in the 18 months so far
As far as I know,the hexagonal shaft which drives the oil pump does fail causing extensive damage to the engine.Not sure which year are affected...

I probably got bad luck and had a car assembled on Friday afternoon.
After one of mu service visits to Audi I was advised by a mechanic, who was working on my car, not to consider any other A6 but 3.0TDi only.
Failure of oil pump is typical example of bad engineering and Audi's not acceptance of any liability and contribution towards engine replacement costs was for me a too much of a risk. After reading about all possible issues with A6's I sold mine and gave up on Audi entirely.

Isn't the 2.0 litre engine the one that has the cheating emission software?

If so, I would say it's resale value would be almost zero in the next few years...

OK if you want to run it into the ground, but not if you want to move it on at some point.

Isn't the 2.0 litre engine the one that has the cheating emission software?

If so, I would say it's resale value would be almost zero in the next few years...

OK if you want to run it into the ground, but not if you want to move it on at some point.

Different variant. I had a 2.0TDI (transverse version) on a 59 plate vehicle. It was one of the very last without A DPF which is wht I bought it. Its the next version which has the cheat. VAG confuse everybody by keeping using the same engine series numbers on completely different engine designs.

You will be lucky if you can run the versions with the dodgy balance shaft/oil pump into the ground. There is a high risk of failure.

I gather that VAG modified the oil pump on 2008 onwards engines,but how reliable has got,not a clue...

Hi everyone,decided to go for a VW they seem not to suffer oil pump issues .How can I check the service history before I consider buying the car?

Hi everyone,decided to go for a VW they seem not to suffer oil pump issues .How can I check the service history before I consider buying the car?
I an vouch that the VW 2.0 tdi is basically the same engine, i had oil pump drive go on my passat at 100k resulting in crankshaft, turbo and piston damage
hex drive rounded,nw modified pump and drive plus engine repairs cost me nearly 2k and i did the work myself! my car was a 56 plate
have now fitted several pumps as a precaution and all drives were found to be worn.
Richard

A lot of the VAG PD engines were very troublesome - balancer shafts, oil pump drives, injectors, ,duplex pumps, all sorts of stuff. Best bet is to check up on VWAudiforum.co.uk, they're really helpful there.

The engines were much, much better after the commin rail version came in. Not sure when it was for Audi, but VW introduced from about 2008.

Decided to leave Audi and VW aside,will go for W203 220CDI auto instead.As I never driven auto,whats the points to look for when buying an auto?

I have been told that the earlier 1.9 engine was more reliable - I think the quote was bullet proof.
I had an A6 1.9tdi estate 2005, one of the 1.9's. It got no where near the claimed mpg, but was 100% reliable, cost no more than standard servicing, well built, but terminally uninspiring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom