Audi A6 Avant 3.0 Bi TDi Quattro Black Edition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Dazzler

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
Smart ForFour AMG Black Series Night Edition Premium Plus 125 Powered by Brabus
I've referred to it in one or two other threads, but last month I took delivery of a brand new Audi A6. It's the twin turbo model, with all wheel drive, and is good for 313PS. Black Edition means it comes without chrome and has huge wheels!

I've been threatening to buy a new car for 5 years or more, in order to comply with company car policy on emissions, age and mileage, but have managed to get away with non-compliance. I couldn't push my luck any longer and so this year I bit the bullet.

What started out looking for an Audi A1 with the smallest Diesel engine ended up with an Audi A6 Avant with the biggest Diesel engine! Along the way I was very tempted by a Tesla, Leaf, and A45/CLA45 AMG.

Considering new cars, the closest match for the C32 AMG it will replace came down to just two cars: this Audi and the Alpina B5. Subtle but sharp on the outside, fast but able to cruise, generously specked on the inside.

A good deal and all wheel drive counted in favour of the Audi; a car park full of 520d and high insurance premiums counted against the Alpina. So a tricky decision was made much easier, and the Audi won.

So how would I describe the car? Quick, sure footed, very well put together. In short I would say it's "deeply capable" but it will never have the soul, or be able to stir the emotions in the same way that the C32 AMG can - now that's a car!

Here are a few photos:

bobby-dazzler-albums-audi-a6-picture8848-image.jpg

bobby-dazzler-albums-audi-a6-picture8849-image.jpg

Nice - I do wish AMG's were a bit more macho - that looks great and it's a diesel :mad:.

Looks lovely!

Beware of deep water though. My mate just lost his engine in an identical model crossing a relatively small ford. Apparently the air intake is quite prone to water ingestion. Audi were not forthcoming with any help (unsurprisingly) and the car was an insurance write-off with less than 10k miles.

I never understand Company car policies.

Your old car was only creating emissions from fuel.

The new one needed to be built at some huge environmental impact I suspect.

...and it's a diesel. Now being blamed for the rise in PM10 emissions and air quality issues in cities.

Hey-ho

Have fun.

When driving through Germany, my overriding memory is of large capacity diesel Audis travelling at warp factor 9. That A6 is a very good looking car indeed, all the better for being in my favourite car colour.

Thanks for all the compliments :thumb:

Some interior shots would be good if you have any. I like the car - enjoy.

+1 for both the comments above :)

I have some interior images created by the online configurator when I ordered it, but I'll try to take a few photos tomorrow.

It's a lovely place to sit, and vast inside. It makes our ML63 feel pokey!

I never understand Company car policies.

Your old car was only creating emissions from fuel.

The new one needed to be built at some huge environmental impact I suspect.

...and it's a diesel. Now being blamed for the rise in PM10 emissions and air quality issues in cities.

Hey-ho

Have fun.

It's the same flawed logic associated with the scrap page scheme. Whilst the C32 AMG won't win any awards for it's fuel consumption and CO2 emissions, it would arguably have been the greener choice to keep running that.

One year and 10,000 miles later, the Audi has proven to be an excellent car. Everything it does, it does well. It's a very relaxing drive and wafts me to and from work with minimum fuss. It manages 40-42MPG on my 23 mile drive to work, and around 10-15% on my journey home (same route but reverse direction). If I need it to, then it can pick up it's skirt and run with the best of them, as it's blessed with a fair turn of speed.

The way I first described it is exactly the way I describe today: supremely capable, but a little too clinical, and not quite able to stir the soul enough to create an emotional attachment. It's a very efficient machine, which is no bad thing.

I really rather like it, but I'm starting to think seriously about it's replacement. Since 2005 my "work" cars have shared the same magic formula: 3+ litres capacity, forced induction, 300+ BHP, and rear seats. The #1 favourite to replace the A6 follows the same formula, anyone care to guess what it might be?

I really rather like it, but I'm starting to think seriously about it's replacement. Since 2005 my "work" cars have shared the same magic formula: 3+ litres capacity, forced induction, 300+ BHP, and rear seats. The #1 favourite to replace the A6 follows the same formula, anyone care to guess what it might be?

I'm guessing a 5.5tt E63;)

bmw 640d?
cls 350d?
jaguar xf 3.0d?
lexus rx450h?

I actually came so close to buying that car as a daily driver myself but decided it was time to ditch diesel, so went for a Golf R as my daily driver 308 bhp and an Audi R8 as my performance car 540 bhp

I'm guessing a 5.5tt E63;)

As Roy Walker would say, it's good but it's not right. :D

Good guess though based upon previous AMGs.

bmw 640d?
cls 350d?
jaguar xf 3.0d?
lexus rx450h?

More good guesses, based upon the A6, but still not right. :)

I actually came so close to buying that car as a daily driver myself but decided it was time to ditch diesel, so went for a Golf R as my daily driver 308 bhp and an Audi R8 as my performance car 540 bhp

Ian, you didn't guess but the silhouette of your R8 isn't too dissimilar to what I have in mind ;)

Cls63?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom