[AUDI] A8 Fuel consumtion woes - Already!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
As some of you know, 2 weeks ago my brother got his 4.2 V8 Audi A8, after only 2 weeks its costing him waaaaay more than predicted :(

He wants to keep an A8, so what are the options - trade it in for a diesel version? would spending the extra £3k or (however much) on a Tdi version be worth it? eg, sure it costs less to run but how long would it take to pay for the extra trade in price?

Thanks

What do you call bad?

A8 4.2 - let me guess at averaging about 17mpg mixed driving?

I havent asked him the MPG yet, but he used to drive his CLK320 with a heavy foot and its off the scale compared to that (his words)

I'd say you should be getting around 21mpg in mixed driving conditions.

how about an LPG conversion? Trading it in is going to hit the wallet hard - better to sell it privatly, then look for a deisel version.

although you will still only going to get around 30mpg in one of those i would imagine. all comes down to big heavy car.

Hello,

I would think if you swap it now you are going to already take quite a hit and then the derv probably more (with more miles?)

LPG could be the way to go.

How many miles does he do? Surely he knew it would be bad before buying it? Maybe in the ouple of weeks he has had it he's playing with the performance to it may settle down.

I would think 20 to 25 on a run at sensible speeds?

An ex boss had a S500L and that would do 25 regularly.

Otherise tell him to take his doc martins off and crusie a bit more :eek:)

i get about 21mpg in town and no more than 26 on a big motorway run - i'd expect the A8 to be about the same

man with hole in pocket feels cocky all day.
man with A8 has hole in head ???

surly when he bought it, he considered the fact it would be heavy on the juice....

wait until he gets the service bills.... :D

LPG is the way to go its a third of the price. I have drove many with no noticable difference in power at all.

if it helps i have a 4.2tdi it returns 26mpg around town and 32mpg on a run.

Mates V6 TDi (3.0 / 3.5???) is showing 32mpg overall, driven quite hard.

Forgive me for pointing out the obvious but of course it's worse than a CLK320! Did he do NO research at all before buying?? The car is considerably larger and the engine likewise.

Dependant on mileage I would be tempted to leave well alone regards LPG - it is still a bit of a black art in terms of potential resale (perception). If your brother is doing alot of miles it begs the question about research even more.

Confucius Say: Don't believe the MPG figures in the sales literature!

Mike

Forgive me for pointing out the obvious but of course it's worse than a CLK320! Did he do NO research at all before buying?? The car is considerably larger and the engine likewise.

Bigger - so more frontal area - so more aerodynamic drag
Heavier - despite all the ally it's a heavy beast
AWD, so more mechanical drag
V8 - so more losses there too.

For suggesting replacing that lovely V8 with a diesel, your brother needs to have his tongue removed with rusty spoons.

Bigger - so more frontal area - so more aerodynamic drag
Heavier - despite all the ally it's a heavy beast
AWD, so more mechanical drag
V8 - so more losses there too.

Not quite Tim , there are notional efficient sizes of pots for petrol and diesel engines .

In truth , what did this guy expect ?
He wants a Rolls-Royce then he runs it on Paraffin .

Yes , a big V8 bubbles nice , but a big turbo-diesel also sounds good .

I suppose he could always try removing some injectors

Not quite Tim , there are notional efficient sizes of pots for petrol and diesel engines .

Indeed there are, however to move an object through the air at a speed has a requirement for power that is proportional to the size of the object. And bigger needs more power, so even if the engine is efficient, it still needs to generate that power by burning fuel...

Yer cannae change the laws of fizzicks!

For suggesting replacing that lovely V8 with a diesel, your brother needs to have his tongue removed with rusty spoons.

unless of course he buys the 4.2 v8 tdi !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom