Audi A8

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MUGGY

Car
Audi A8 Sport Executive 3.0tdi
Not been on here for a while but with a little spare time I thought I'd give a brief update on my latest car.

Following my brief dalliance with Alps E55 AMG (great car but not for me) I decided I needed something smooth and comfortable with air suspension (as much to deal with the ever increasing height of speed bumps as anything).

Four wheel drive was also something I fancied, having never had one. I drove a variety of cars including Skoda Superb (good but cost cutting shows) and new 5 Series BMW (very good car but those M Sport seats too tight for a man of my girth !).

I then thought an Audi Allroad might fit the bill. AWD, Air suspension, 3 litre diesel engines, practical with a decent image. Sounds good and so off I went for a test drive. Test drive went well, the car was, I think the 272bhp 3 litre diesel. It was very smooth and refined but I wasn't smitten. Having told the salesman that I often did long journeys he suggested I try the 15 plate A8 they had on the forecourt. As I had the time I though why not ! Well that was that, I loved it !

The depreciation on the A8 is brutal which means a lot of car can be bought for not very much and so after a little haggling including a 2 year approved used warranty I became the proud owner of A8 Sport Executive 3.0 tdi with 22" wheels having spent less than originally budgeted.

So what's it like ?

Firstly it is a big car even in standard wheelbase which can make parking challenging at times (E class x 3 was previously the biggest cars I have owned). The tech is a little outdated but frankly so am I and so I don't really care that much. Everything works and I can work everything.
So what's it like to drive and live with everyday - brilliant ! It's very comfortable (love the quilted leather seats) and it's powerful enough for normal UK driving. The AWD is great when launching out of junctions. The 8 speed auto is a cut above any MB auto I have driven. The car 'shrinks' around you when driving and it feels very agile given it's size. Very easy to cover the miles at very high speeds. Build quality appears to be very good, a very solid feeling car.
Economy is not bad - over 40mpg on a long run with an overall average of 36mpg.

All in all I'm very pleased with my first non MB for 8 years !

Interesting, I attended an Audi event a while ago. First off I tried the S8 a fantastic car then I tried the 4.2 turbo diesel A8 as you say I think it's the 8 speed gearbox that plays a major part in the driving dynamics of these cars.
Both cars had all the toys ventilated seats (which I love on a hot day) night vision, HUD etc etc.
Although I made up my mind there and then that the S8 will replace my Phaeton as my daily I felt that a high spec 4.2 turbo diesel would do the job nicely plus it can be chipped to 450 BHP. As you say the interior really is a nice place to be.
There are a lot of ex lease cars coming up for sale in all the range unfortunately they all seem to be very low spec as far as the extra toys are concerned.
I've given up with dealers and have decided to but direct from BCA and save myself a good £5-8K. Most auction cars are in excellent condition so what could possibly go wrong.

We had an Audi A8 3.0 TDI on our test fleet about 10-years ago. Effortless to drive and a lot of car for the money. When we had finished with it, it was sent along to the auction in the usual way and it didn't sell, even at the second attempt. In the end a colleague bought it for a very nice price and was well chuffed with it.

Interesting, I attended an Audi event a while ago. First off I tried the S8 a fantastic car then I tried the 4.2 turbo diesel A8 as you say I think it's the 8 speed gearbox that plays a major part in the driving dynamics of these cars.
Both cars had all the toys ventilated seats (which I love on a hot day) night vision, HUD etc etc.
Although I made up my mind there and then that the S8 will replace my Phaeton as my daily I felt that a high spec 4.2 turbo diesel would do the job nicely plus it can be chipped to 450 BHP. As you say the interior really is a nice place to be.
There are a lot of ex lease cars coming up for sale in all the range unfortunately they all seem to be very low spec as far as the extra toys are concerned.
I've given up with dealers and have decided to but direct from BCA and save myself a good £5-8K. Most auction cars are in excellent condition so what could possibly go wrong.

Interesting indeed. My car seems to be standard apart from the wheels.
If I continue to be as happy with the car as I am now I can see me changing for the 4.2tdi at a later date although in truth the 3litre gets me into illegal speeds too quickly as it is ;-)
These cars appear to be a fantastic used bargain so let's just keep the secret between us !

Isn't there a 6L W12 A8 too? Similar to the phaeton? No idea if it is petrol or diesel.

Very nice.........not sure about the tinted rear windows. I have to say the alloys do give it a element of sportiness.

So many cars come equipped with privacy glass these days but it doesn't bother me either way.

I think it's quite an anonymous looking car which most people wouldn't look twice at and I like that. I think most people would mistake it for an A4 unless they looked more closely and realised the size. There are also relatively few of them on the road which is also nice.

Isn't there a 6L W12 A8 too? Similar to the phaeton? No idea if it is petrol or diesel.

D3 had a 6.0 W12. The D4 has a 6.3 W12, both are petrol

So many cars come equipped with privacy glass these days but it doesn't bother me either way.

I think it's quite an anonymous looking car which most people wouldn't look twice at and I like that. I think most people would mistake it for an A4 unless they looked more closely and realised the size. There are also relatively few of them on the road which is also nice.
Stevie Wonder or Mr Magoo might mistake a A8 for an A4 maybe but no one with half decent eyesight could make that mistake. An A6 maybe, not an A4. Probably a typo :cool: Nice car.

I like it, really like the look of Audis. I think the tints set it off nicely. Enjoy :thumb:

That's right it's petrol only I've had a look at a few. But the later 4.2 twin turbo A8 is just about as quick as the W12 without the big maintenance bills. Like I say the 4.2 can be modestly chipped to produce 450 BHP which in all honesty is as much as anyone sensibly needs in a daily.

Stevie Wonder or Mr Magoo might mistake a A8 for an A4 maybe but no one with half decent eyesight could make that mistake. An A6 maybe, not an A4. Probably a typo :cool: Nice car.

That's what I like about them discreet.

Nice choice indeed.

I'm a big fan, on my fifth '8 now. S8 V10 flavour in this one to be precise, but I've had 3.0 petrol, 3.0 diesel and 4.2 petrols in the past in the various D2 and D3 models. The 4.2 diesel should never be discounted when it can be remapped to almost 1,000Nm torque. Had a VW Phaeton as well which, believe it or not, is even more reliable than its A8 cousin (no Phaeton has ever been recalled), although the Phatone doesn't benefit from an aluminium body so handling is affected, but I digress.

Driven the D4 many times as long term loan cars with 3.0 and 4.0 engines when I take my S8 in and it's a cracking car. The LED Matrix headlights are superb, adjustable ride from the air suspension is excellent, and there's all sorts of optional extras to keep you happy if you don't mind searching for the right car. I genuinely prefer them over the new S-Class now and depreciation is starting to hit hard with the introduction of the new D5 model, high-spec earlier D4 models are almost within nice D3 model budgets.

Consider remapping your 3.0-litre diesel if you want to see more than 40mpg and feel more grunt. It's a versatile engine used in various models with different tunes so welcomes you unlocking a bit more of the available power.

In theory the brand new D5 builds and improves on everything before but I'm not sold on it just yet. Lots of the cabin controls are touch screen. I appreciate that a touch screen allows controls to be almost infinitely versatile but I like the tactile action of feeling and clicking a button, not to mention it's much safer as you don't need to take your eyes off the road once you know where all the controls are. Tesla on the other hand has that huge iPad-like screen with simple vibrant displays and menus that make sense, so it's not all bad if they are well designed.

The value of W12 models plummets after a few years, with no exception. You can get a 2004/2005 model W12 with acceptable mileage for £5,000 these days but they are very likely to have a few common problems and despite what the seller might say, the value will not appreciate. The newer 'D4' shape W12 with the 6.3 engine is dropping as well. For example, Audi A8 6.3 ( 500ps ) quattro LWB 5998cc Tiptronic 2013MY W12 (LWB) | eBay , that one is pretty poverty in terms of spec but I've seen them for a few £thousand less than that and with more toys.

Interestingly, the W12 in the new D5 (which will be the last W12 Audi put in a car) will be back to 6.0 displacement as used in the Bentley Bentayga but detuned to 585PS/800Nm, instead of continuing with 6.3.

Last edited:
Nice choice indeed.

I'm a big fan, on my fifth '8 now. S8 V10 flavour in this one to be precise, but I've had 3.0 petrol, 3.0 diesel and 4.2 petrols in the past in the various D2 and D3 models. The 4.2 diesel should never be discounted when it can be remapped to almost 1,000Nm torque. Had a VW Phaeton as well which, believe it or not, is even more reliable than its A8 cousin (no Phaeton has ever been recalled), although the Phatone doesn't benefit from an aluminium body so handling is affected, but I digress.

Driven the D4 many times as long term loan cars with 3.0 and 4.0 engines when I take my S8 in and it's a cracking car. The LED Matrix headlights are superb, adjustable ride from the air suspension is excellent, and there's all sorts of optional extras to keep you happy if you don't mind searching for the right car. I genuinely prefer them over the new S-Class now and depreciation is starting to hit hard with the introduction of the new D5 model, high-spec earlier D4 models are almost within nice D3 model budgets.

Consider remapping your 3.0-litre diesel if you want to see more than 40mpg and feel more grunt. It's a versatile engine used in various models with different tunes so welcomes you unlocking a bit more of the available power.

In theory the brand new D5 builds and improves on everything before but I'm not sold on it just yet. Lots of the cabin controls are touch screen. I appreciate that a touch screen allows controls to be almost infinitely versatile but I like the tactile action of feeling and clicking a button, not to mention it's much safer as you don't need to take your eyes off the road once you know where all the controls are. Tesla on the other hand has that huge iPad-like screen with simple vibrant displays and menus that make sense, so it's not all bad if they are well designed.

The value of W12 models plummets after a few years, with no exception. You can get a 2004/2005 model W12 with acceptable mileage for £5,000 these days but they are very likely to have a few common problems and despite what the seller might say, the value will not appreciate. The newer 'D4' shape W12 with the 6.3 engine is dropping as well. For example, Audi A8 6.3 ( 500ps ) quattro LWB 5998cc Tiptronic 2013MY W12 (LWB) | eBay , that one is pretty poverty in terms of spec but I've seen them for a few £thousand less than that and with more toys.

Interestingly, the W12 in the new D5 (which will be the last W12 Audi put in a car) will be back to 6.0 displacement as used in the Bentley Bentayga but detuned to 585PS/800Nm, instead of continuing with 6.3.

Thanks for the post.
Totally agree with you on the D5, I don't feel any desire to own the newer model.
Love the matrix LED's
I'll give the remapping some thought. Do you have any experience with remapping the 3.0 tdi or any recommendations ?

I didn't remap my 3.0 TDI as I didn't have it too long but a cousin of mine had a nice 4.2-litre TDI that he remapped and it was a beast after that was done. Put your foot down and within a second you feel an addictive surge of power. Very noticeable before vs. after the remap so a 3.0-litre TDI would also gain better performance and better fuel economy.

Perhaps a bit far for you judging by your location but AMD in Essex are highly regarded when it comes to remapping but are quite pricey. VRS in Northampton are also recommended. I knew of somewhere near Bristol so will try and recall the name of them as well.

I'm on a great A8/S8 forum ( A8 Parts Forum - Powered by vBulletin ) that has been invaluable if and when I've had any issues with mine. Mostly D2 and D3 owners on there at the moment but more and more D4 threads are appearing as owners join.

I didn't remap my 3.0 TDI as I didn't have it too long but a cousin of mine had a nice 4.2-litre TDI that he remapped and it was a beast after that was done. Put your foot down and within a second you feel an addictive surge of power. Very noticeable before vs. after the remap so a 3.0-litre TDI would also gain better performance and better fuel economy.

Perhaps a bit far for you judging by your location but AMD in Essex are highly regarded when it comes to remapping but are quite pricey. VRS in Northampton are also recommended. I knew of somewhere near Bristol so will try and recall the name of them as well.

I'm on a great A8/S8 forum ( A8 Parts Forum - Powered by vBulletin ) that has been invaluable if and when I've had any issues with mine. Mostly D2 and D3 owners on there at the moment but more and more D4 threads are appearing as owners join.

Thanks for the info. I'll check out the forum as something tells me an A8 may stay in my life for a while ;-)

Did the e55 go to forum member? ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom