Audi A8.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WOODYTHEWISE

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E 500 Coupe.
As per the header. Thinking of buying an Audi A8. Not keen on sootchuckers....but.
Also the petrol V8 looks a nice lump.
Some of the interiors look very nice and well put together.
Any one have 1st hand experience of the A8 in any guise.
Be looking at the saloon post 2011/12.

Drove a 4-litre sootchucker ten-years or a bit longer ago. Very capable car, lowered the suspension when cruising effortlessly on the motorway. Quiet, comfortable, well equipped, nice car but a bit on the big side for me. Compared well with the E350 CDI we had at the time (might have been in the same work programme).

Had a bit of difficulty moving it at the end of the programme, but it was an odd colour. Went eventually at a bargain price.

I have a D3 S8 and like you say very well put together and an amazing car. You are looking at a D4 and whilst I do not have any experience of one, there is a forum member (on an A8 forum) who has a petrol A8L which is also a 4.0L but not the S8. I have driven the D5 for a few weeks and it was an amazing car. The 3.0 petrol was more than capable and the build quality and tech was superb.

IIRC Aidan (m2287) has recently acquired a D4 3.0TDI.

The 4.2TDI is basically the same as the one as I had in my D3, but with the added benefit of the 8sp ZF box. That must be quite some combination.

m2287 has a 12 plate D4 albeit a stinky mucky 3 litre oiler! :D

Had the 4.2TD with 8SP ZF box in the Q7 I have just sold.
Not much above 6 seconds to 60 and plenty of flex once rolling. Very nice, but not quite a Full Fat Range Rover.

I love my A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDi. What a car that is!

currently have D3 ( 3.0 Diesel Black Edition)

Came from W221 S350 L AMG Sport Edition ( also 3.0 Diesel)

IMHO

Audi +

Interior build quality - everything is beautifully made and put together
Ride quality - both with air suspension - but Audi deals with urban cr@ppy roads better
ICE - more intuitive and better quality stereo ( Bose vs Harmon Kardon )
Driving on ice/snow - Audi permanent quatrro system really works on bad road conditions - >250BHP rear wheel drive and auto transmission is not a good combo

Audi -

Looks - MB turned more heads - A8 looks like most other Audi saloons A4, A6 etc ( but looking less flash may be a positive)
Interior space - Both have plenty of room up front - Audi less so for rear passengers , but MB was long wheel base version.

I had W212 E350 prior to S class that had same engine - Both S class and A8 are a major leap in quality .

I can't comment on Audi petrol engine ( S8 ) but I find 3.0 diesel quiet ( although still some V6 growl when pushed hard ) but only from interior. It's no tractor , but still has distinct diesel rattle when stood next to outside on idle.Has more than enough shove in the real world. I've heard the 4.2 V8 diesel is an amazing bit of kit but rare and comes at a premium price.

From what I saw when looking for current A8 the S8 petrols available for sale seemed to be fairly stock ( although come well specced in the first instance). The diesels were specced with many more options from the price list. I guess its whats important to you though

I actually think the A8 would sit above the E-Class but below the S-Class in terms of size and prestige.

The 4.2 TDI engine is the pick of the bunch IMO and the year you’re looking at has got 345bhp, does 0-60mph in 5.5 seconds and does about 35-40mpg - it really does tick every box and I’ll definitely look at buying one in the near future as a mile-muncher.

Saw a W222 and new A8 next to each other recently and the A8 just looked visually quite basic by comparison.

Much more presence the S class in my view, the A8 could have been an Octavia if I hadn’t been paying attention.

Just to add to the theme, I picked up a BMW 740Li today.

Cheap deal.

First impressions are that it's very good, seats are ACE, air ride very smooth. It's been an Embassy car for an Arab country so is little used and could do with a booting to reset stuff.

Same drive train as my previous turbo nutter.

**** me it's long at over 5m.

I have a 2012 3.0tdi A8, had it just over 2 weeks but covered over 2k miles so I’ve managed to form an insightful opinion on it...

Compared to the same year s class, I’m sorry to say that the Audi is better in my opinion (I have owned two s classes and a cl. My father in law has a 221 s class which I’ve used extensively).

The infotainment system in the Audi is easier to use, engine is smoother, faster and achieves considerably better mpg (I have achieved a genuine 50mpg on a run).

Looks wise, perhaps the s class wins, I’m not sure... I definitely like the Audi interior better and the switchgear feels better in the Audi.

Final thoughts - I kind of wish I had gotten the 4.2 tdi but I have to remember I do mega miles, mainly motorway so it isn’t really needed!

I love my A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDi. What a car that is!

I had a 2012 one of these, when the 313hp BiTDI first came out. It had a recurring EML light which Audi couldn't fix after replacing engine and gearbox on separate occasions. The final straw was when Audi came back to me stating they were going to remove the dashboard as they suspected a chaffed/incorrectly assembled harness at the bulkhead, the car was duly rejected with less than 5000 miles on it. However, I recently looked up the car on MOT history check, and I see at its last MOT it had 210,000 miles on it!!!

I'm not/was not taken with the car (A6) but the engine was fantastic. It was replaced with a CLS350 Shooting Brake, if I could have the CLS with that engine (and no electrical faults) that would be car nirvana, and I don't like really diesel engine cars any longer.

I had a 2012 one of these, when the 313hp BiTDI first came out. It had a recurring EML light which Audi couldn't fix after replacing engine and gearbox on separate occasions. The final straw was when Audi came back to me stating they were going to remove the dashboard as they suspected a chaffed/incorrectly assembled harness at the bulkhead, the car was duly rejected with less than 5000 miles on it. However, I recently looked up the car on MOT history check, and I see at its last MOT it had 210,000 miles on it!!!

I'm not/was not taken with the car (A6) but the engine was fantastic. It was replaced with a CLS350 Shooting Brake, if I could have the CLS with that engine (and no electrical faults) that would be car nirvana, and I don't like really diesel engine cars any longer.

What a shame you had the faults.
Like you say, the engine is something else.
A fag paper over 5 seconds to 60 and the 70 - 100 acceleration is bonkers, and 50mpg if you want it.
I don't have a particularly heavy right foot, but it's nice to hurtle at will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom