Audi carnage in Milton Keynes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Volvo fans will be devastated too....

Blimey! That's a brand new building that's only a year or so old, I drive past it everyday. Bit shocked that something like this can happen!

Blimey! That's a brand new building that's only a year or so old, I drive past it everyday. Bit shocked that something like this can happen!

I agree. I know the area well and i'm amazed it can happen to such a new building. Would love to be in the meeting with the structural engineer....

Perhaps it was built by the same people who buy the cars :rolleyes:

On a serious note, glad no one was hurt

Glad no one was hurt... wonder if a saleman hit the gas instead of the brakes and pushed down a structural wall ?

Seems a daft place to store them anyways...

i thought its usually the profits that are meant to go through the roof? :D

Classic! My dad had a Volvo in the 80s and I can confirm that it was built like a tank!

As far as the Milton Keynes carnage is concerned, of course I am also happy it only affected insured items and not humans (insured or not)... otherwise I would have never started this thread ;-)

Definitely I would not like to be in the shoes of the architect who designed the building... as well as the ones of the customers who were expecting one of those 20 cars to be delivered tomorrow :-(

Thankfully no one was injured.

They should of stayed in their old premises. They are incredibly pretentious since moving.

beware.cowboy.builders.jpg

Phew, that could have ended badly! Thank goodness the only damage was to the building and some cars.

No rare vehicles lost and nobody hurt. Could have been far worse.

Interesting that they evacuated the building before the collapse, so they had some warning.

In the 70s I worked in a building that used High Alumina Cement Concrete in the structure. After a few high-profile failures of that material they installed glass columns that would shatter if the building started to go, theoretically giving people enough time to get out!

Will be interesting if the roof was designed to support perhaps half a dozen display cars max and there were twenty up there? There must have been a design loading- was it exceeded?

Loading from Car parks - Steelconstruction.info

The British Standards for structural design were withdrawn in 2010 and replaced with harmonised European standards. The withdrawn British Standards will no longer be updated, but Approved Document A[2] makes it clear that they can still be used.
Once the appropriate suite of of standards has been chosen; it should be used exclusively throughout the design and construction process.
The imposed loading for the parking areas and ramps in car parks is given in BS EN 1991-1-1[3] with its National Annex[4], or BS 6399: Parts 1[5] and 2[6]. For a normal mix of vehicles, taking the maximum weight of any vehicle as 2500kg, the imposed uniformly distributed load given in BS EN 1991[3] and BS 6399-1[5] is 2.5kN/m2.

Basically the loading principle being--- the floor area divided by the average weight of the number of vehicles randomly distributed---- the finally load rating depending on a) number of vehicles of a certain weight b) how they are distributed and very important c) the "unoccupied" floor area between the vehicles ---- start cramming em in nose to tail is a recipe for disaster!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom